Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
IMO, 90% of cars stuck on the road are just dumdums, there was plenty of notice to be home by noon. I just don't get it.

It's more that their employers (of non essential operations) are the idiots, which is a small percentage of the actual cars you see on the road. Many of them NEED to go to work even though their business did not really NEED to be in operation except for owner greed. It should be criminal for a business to not plan better for extreme weather events.

Now maybe those folks that move here from colder climates will understand why long-term residents get nervous about pending winter storms. The less often this sort of thing happens, the more disastrous it is when it does.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Watching stopped traffic on WRAL - this is insane. I'm so angry for the people who did not have the opportunity to leave work earlier or stay home completely. Agree with the above - the employers are the idiots if they indeed did not give employees the option to leave earlier or work from home. Nothing is worth this. Now these poor people are going to be on the road, which now cannot be salted/brined, and it will all ice over faster than expected and hello 2005 all over again. Ridic.

Northern transplants: I am one of you - but this isn't something to laugh at. People here have no need for expensive snow tires, and employers are not as understanding.

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
WRAL News winter weather coverage :: WRAL.com

That's kinda what it looked like on Capital in 2005 during that snow/ice storm. Only slower. I am NOT kidding.

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
IMO, 90% of cars stuck on the road are just dumdums, there was plenty of notice to be home by noon. I just don't get it.
What don't you get? Not everyone has an understanding employer who says " a bad storm is coming, stay home". Instead the employers wait and let people go at 1 during a storm that is dumping snow at a fast rate. As we have discussed in other threads employment is "at will" in this state, so I doubt these employees want to just pick and leave work at 12 or not show up if it is not sanctioned by their employer.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
It's more that their employers (of non essential operations)...

Fact. Just got home by the grace of God after 2 1/2 hours...It is really serious out there, yall. So many U turns I had make. Cars are on the side of the road. Motorists are disregarding traffic signals... ugh.

Y'all pray for everybody.

Wilmington, McDowell, S. Saunders... 40 West is a mess. Motorists on Entrance ramps to 40 East are stalled...

Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM

183 posts, read 454,267 times
screen shot from wral

Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM

276 posts, read 648,371 times
My husband left work in Cary at 12:30, and just made it home in Durham shortly after 3:00. He said there were a group of good samaritans out in front of our subdivision helping push cars up the hill. He would have had to ditch the car and walk it in if he hadn't had help at that last leg of his trip.

Still coming down hard in Durham. We are prepared to be stuck for the next few days!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:35 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
I realize you all don't drive much in winter like weather in these parts. BUT COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! The unbelievable, incompetent driving I just witnessed out there is INSANE!!!!!!!!!

The state of NC, needs to build a giant lightly snow covered parking lot with some ice and make people here drive on it for a few hours before issuing drivers licenses.

The weather you are having here is not severe, it's mild, it's nothing anywhere in a northern city. It's business as usual, it's normal commute times, it's people getting where they go without missing a beat. Here? I just watched a guy turn into his driveway with his flashers on and took ten minutes to make a simple turn, holding up cars behind him for miles! And there are hundreds of thousands of drivers out there just as stupid as him right now. THATS WHY IT'S SUCH A MESS!

The roads are fine, you can drive on them, just go a little slower and stop sooner, heavy snow yields decent traction, it's only frozen, ground freezing rain (rare) that causes un-drivable conditions.

INSANITY!!!!! I never wanted to smack so many petrified, ignorant people in my life as I saw out there today.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I realize you all don't drive much in winter like weather in these parts. BUT COME ON PEOPLE!!!!! The unbelievable, incompetent driving I just witnessed out there is INSANE!!!!!!!!!

The state of NC, needs to build a giant lightly snow covered parking lot with some ice and make people here drive on it for a few hours before issuing drivers licenses.

The weather you are having here is not severe, it's mild, it's nothing anywhere in a northern city. It's business as usual, it's normal commute times, it's people getting where they go without missing a beat. Here? I just watched a guy turn into his driveway with his flashers on and took ten minutes to make a simple turn, holding up cars behind him for miles! And there are hundreds of thousands of drivers out there just as stupid as him right now. THATS WHY IT'S SUCH A MESS!

The roads are fine, you can drive on them, just go a little slower and stop sooner, heavy snow yields decent traction, it's only frozen, ground freezing rain (rare) that causes un-drivable conditions.

INSANITY!!!!! I never wanted to smack so many petrified, ignorant people in my life as I saw out there today.

Let's think about this reasonably.

First, even if people were trained to drive in this weather, if they didn't use that training but once every few years, they'd probably forget it. You need to have lived in this stuff for a longer period of time to drive in it successfully each time.

Also... we simply do NOT have the same road-clearing equipment here that people have in places that get more snow and ice, so the roads are trickier here.

I can tell you that when I lived near Chicago, I remember a storm like this where things got bad quickly and I was sitting there at a stoplight and every car in that lane started sliding toward the ditch. EVERY SINGLE ONE. And I know that everyone there wasn't some yobbo from a Southern state.

LOL.

I agree that drivers who are inexperienced in snow/ice driving are going to fare worse, but still...

Old 02-12-2014, 01:43 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Having grown up in PA and living with winters that lasted up to 5 or 6 months, this kind of weather is no big deal *if* you have the right equipment for it. That means snow tires at a minimum. We almost never had a single 'snow day' when I was in grade school. The snow was deep, you trudged to the bus stop, you got cold, if you were lucky someone's parent had a nice warm car so you could sit in there until the bus arrived, and you had to deal with it because there was no other option. Schools were heated.

Chains were put on the car tires when required, and you drove slow and steady. Lather, rinse, repeat week after week. The road conditions varied and the snow removal equipment sometimes couldn't keep up with the amount of snow, but you had to use your common sense and right equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary