Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times

Advertisements

So, are we still getting ice? Seems to be a whole lot of nothing going on right now.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM

42 posts, read 94,962 times
hah, the hazard lights drive me crazy....super distracting, 8 lanes of traffic on the highway in a gridlock with blinking lights, it's like being in a night club, sigh...

As for "do they really need to drive at 5 mph?"....yes....yes, they do....well...maybe more like 20mph, but yeah, not driving 40-45 (45 MPH speed limit road, not the interstate) on a barely treated road in bumper to bumper traffic in my florida bought car, with old non-winter tires. Was sliding every time I stopped or started, and hit a few patches of ice, did a few fishtails, and I only drove a couple miles home.....so yes, I'd like to NOT die, and if that means it takes you twice as long to get home, then so be it....geez. If I were driving a subaru with winter tires (or at the very least all weather tires), then maybe I'd speed up a bit.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
So, are we still getting ice? Seems to be a whole lot of nothing going on right now.
My partner just got an alert, not sure from where, that he should charge up his cell phone overnight because the electricity might be out tomorrow due to ice. We've been getting some freezing rain all afternoon. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets really bad overnight and into tomorrow.

I have been watching about 3 different weather forecasts for Raleigh area and they all seem to say something different. So I'm just going to bed and looking out the door tomorrow to see what happens. We didn't shovel our steep driveway today. I hope it doesn't become a block of ice tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Seems to just be very fine sleet or snow in Chapel Hill — so tiny I can't really tell which. It's not coating the trees or anything, though, like freezing rain. Well acquainted with that stuff.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
My partner just got an alert, not sure from where, that he should charge up his cell phone overnight because the electricity might be out tomorrow due to ice. We've been getting some freezing rain all afternoon. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets really bad overnight and into tomorrow.

I have been watching about 3 different weather forecasts for Raleigh area and they all seem to say something different. So I'm just going to bed and looking out the door tomorrow to see what happens. We didn't shovel our steep driveway today. I hope it doesn't become a block of ice tomorrow.
The device charging is a great idea. I manage a team of IT staff at a university, and a fellow manager reminded his team to "top off" all their devices in case they need to connect over cellular data networks during a power-loss scenario to fix something.

Idea for the next time -- I picked up a Rayovac Backup USB Power Pack for a few bucks from Home Depot. Put 4 AA batteries into the box, which has a USB plug; then plug in your USB-charging device and get it juiced. Picked that up with a 36-pack of batteries. That'll keep my LTE smartphone running as a home hotspot so I can do work from a charged laptop or eventually an iPad if needed.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
A few hrs ago I thought it was doing nothing but sprinkling fine ice on us. Now, looking at my deck, the umbrella is ice coated, as are the chairs, and the snow now has a layer of ice over it. this reminds me of the times when we had ice storms with build up and power lines came down. I think we, at least in Knightdale, are getting more of this than they recently said we'd get. I am concerned that we will lose power tomorrow. It can look harmless but it's like a slow creep with the buildup on power lines.

I have everything charged, and unscented candles, hurricane lamp, camping light, food, and clean laundry I am as ready as can be.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

Idea for the next time -- I picked up a Rayovac Backup USB Power Pack for a few bucks from Home Depot. Put 4 AA batteries into the box, which has a USB plug; then plug in your USB-charging device and get it juiced. Picked that up with a 36-pack of batteries. That'll keep my LTE smartphone running as a home hotspot so I can do work from a charged laptop or eventually an iPad if needed.
My 12-year old just got one of those (in pink!) for her IPod. Because the world's problems will not be solved if she cannot text her friends.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
yikes, my power is flashing on/off. I think I will get my candles lit

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM

18,096 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Several months ago I purchased an Anker external USB charger (15000 Mah) so I could recharge my smartphone a few times over if I didn't have an electrical source available. That powerpack is fully charged up, my smartphone is on AC power so it will stay at 100% pending any upcoming power outage, and I keep my Macbook Air fully charged (that gets 12 hours on a single charge) and some movies I downloaded on my laptop. I'm as ready as I can be, from an electronics toy standpoint.

I have food that doesn't require cooking, enough for the next 4 or 5 days, a big down comforter, one fluffy cat who commandeered said comforter a couple months ago, some candles, a flashlight, and lots of batteries.

Got no where I need to be (no job at the moment) and no reason to be out there.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,764 times
Don't forget to feed the birds! Their food is covered in snow and they are hungry. I had a handful of them poking around the remnants of my summer plants (yeah, I am lazy!) on my balcony this evening, so I walked over to my neighbor's house to bum some bird feed. It was a feeding frenzy out there when I filled and hung my old feeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary