Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine just made it home. He works off Wake Forest Rd and lives in S. Cary (Kildaire and 10-10). So it IS possible if you know how to navigate the roads.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
no way I am going out. A crown just came off of my tooth and I am in some pain but no way am I going out there until the roads clear.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:54 PM

183 posts, read 454,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Exactly why I'll thank the folks at the grocery store if we decide to walk to one over the next few days. These people have to drive over the roads we don't want to drive on. They get my respect.
I am also *very grateful for the grocery store employees*

5 minutes after I left my neighborhood HT, the snow started piling up... and the roads got slick.

Thanks to them many people now have supplies.
I hope they get home safely.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
The ramp to 540 was blocked by multiple cars at the Durham Morrsiville line, had to pull a 180 and go the wrong way down the ramp to get around. My normal 20 minute ride took about an hour and 15 minutes.

NC drivers really need to learn to avoid the brake when driving in the snow, especially when going up hill!

Yes... the brake is not your friend on snow and ice.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:12 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Kudos to Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools for calling the early dismissal on the money today and preventing us from having another make-up day! The last schools were dismissed at 12:15, and the snow started falling about 30 minutes later. They couldn't have timed it better if they tried!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:17 PM

150 posts, read 175,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
NC drivers really need to learn to avoid the brake when driving in the snow, especially when going up hill!
ANYONE driving in this (not just NC/Southern natives) really needs to learn not to come to a complete STOP when pointed uphill. That way lies grief.

Best thing to do is to "drive 1/4 mile ahead" (think about what's coming up next) and be prepared in advance. Optimum state is continual movement. Don't stop. Especially uphill. Leave gaps; keep moving, even if only slowly. The two main classes of problems seem to be excess speed approaching an intersection, and stopping uphill at an intersection (the light catching several bunched-up cars, aimed uphill).

If, say, 1/2 or 3/4 of the cars out there were NOT out there, it probably would have been a lot better.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
2.5 hours later and wife is still not home. She just called and said that it is impossible to get into Swift Creek area. All roads (Kildaire Farm, Holly Springs, Yates Mill Pond/Lake Wheeler, and Fayetteville) are all blocked.

Right now she's stuck at Holly Springs Rd and Cary Parkway inching her way south.
She made it! It took her 5 hours to get from near Rex Hospital on Blue Ridge down to the intersection of Lake Wheeler and Ten-Ten (16 miles)

Old 02-12-2014, 04:30 PM

183 posts, read 454,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
She made it! It took her 5 hours to get from near Rex Hospital on Blue Ridge down to the intersection of Lake Wheeler and Ten-Ten (16 miles)
So glad she made it home!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:36 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
A friend in Atlanta got stuck in the last storm. She was stuck in interstate from 2:30pm til 4:00 am. She said it was a nightmare. Hope everyone gets home safely!

Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 37,371 times
It took me FIVE HOURS to come from work in Downtown Durham to Cary!! AWFUL!!

The government DID NOT prep the roads for this at all!! (SHAME ON THEM!!) The media has been HYPING up this "bad weather" for days, schools closed, businesses closed, but the roads weren't touched...REALLY?!?! I saw one snow plow after I got into Cary, but a snowplow isn't going to do anything when it's all ICE.

I'm from DC and I'm used to driving in the snow and ice, but unfortunately the NC natives (and others) totally panic and it shows on the road! People were driving 5 mph when it was only dusting and turning a two-lane road into a one-lane trail ride.

Be considerate of the conditions...leave space in front of you, when you see a car slide backwards down a hill, don't go up the same way (*monkie-see-monkie-doo*), when someone in front of you is stuck and is sliding, DON'T MOVE up closer!

Today was THEE MOST awful, frustrating commute of my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary