Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM

171 posts, read 447,764 times

Advertisements

Some advice for people who have the misfortune of dealing with TW. Please use the chat feature or record all conversations with them. You can hardly find two reps who will tell you the same thing. Or reps who have reading comprehension above the 6th grade level.

I will post my chat transcript with these morons once everything is settled.

It sure seems everyone with an above-primate level IQ at TW works in their lobbying department to make sure they have no competition. After all, why bother with customer service when your customer base has no alternatives.

I cannot wait for Google to come to the area. I guarantee that TW's customer service will improve radically when they are faced with the sharpened knife edge of competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
On the $29.95 Earthlink plan now. Got hit with the $6 modem fee and activated an old SB5120 I had laying around from years ago, I guess this is an example of why I hold on to stuff. Works great. Just an FYI though, all of these old cheap modems are DOCSIS 2. The new stuff that will be going into effect in a year or so is DOCSIS 3. So if you are looking into the future it might be a better use of dollars to pay $40 or $50 for a DOCSIS 3 modem (look at suggested modems, google "TWC compatible modems"). In the next year or so the 15 mb internet tier will go to 45 mb according to the tech. In order to get those speeds you need a DOCSIS 3 modem.

I'm at the point where I don't need that kinda speed, I'd rather pay $30 a month for el cheapo 15 mb internet. Especially since the streaming video is capped anyway.

On a side note I had zero issues with how the tech handled the swap, he was excellent. It was also US based. Besides playing the "I'm gonna quit or else" game with TWC I'm been happy with their service.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
On the $29.95 Earthlink plan now. Got hit with the $6 modem fee and activated an old SB5120 I had laying around from years ago, I guess this is an example of why I hold on to stuff. Works great. Just an FYI though, all of these old cheap modems are DOCSIS 2. The new stuff that will be going into effect in a year or so is DOCSIS 3. So if you are looking into the future it might be a better use of dollars to pay $40 or $50 for a DOCSIS 3 modem (look at suggested modems, google "TWC compatible modems"). In the next year or so the 15 mb internet tier will go to 45 mb according to the tech. In order to get those speeds you need a DOCSIS 3 modem.

I'm at the point where I don't need that kinda speed, I'd rather pay $30 a month for el cheapo 15 mb internet. Especially since the streaming video is capped anyway.

On a side note I had zero issues with how the tech handled the swap, he was excellent. It was also US based. Besides playing the "I'm gonna quit or else" game with TWC I'm been happy with their service.
Two months from now we could have RST Fiber and a bit longer than that, Google Fiber as options. I'm not willing to invest more than $10 in a cable modem at this time as it's DOA tech IMO.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Two months from now we could have RST Fiber and a bit longer than that, Google Fiber as options. I'm not willing to invest more than $10 in a cable modem at this time as it's DOA tech IMO.
I skimmed that thread, the title was incredibly misleading, we are not getting Google Fiber definitively, it's just a possibility. Anyway not sure why you took my post personaly...I was merely posting what I learned.

I wouldn't say cable modems are old tech, TWC has limited speed but we are on DOCSIS 2 standards right now. Look up speeds in other countries. Cable uses existing infrastructure, Fiber is something that would take decades if not longer to completely cover the US IMO like cable lines are now. Going from 15 mb to 45 mb for an extra $30 one time fee? I dunno sounds pretty inexpensive to me.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 788,824 times
Anyone having issues with getting the lease fee removed after bringing over their own modem? I switched the "leased" SB5101 modem with my own SB5101 and got that activated without any problems. I waited for the next bill, and still had the lease fee tacked on there.

I chatted online with TWC yesterday to get the fee removed, and supposedly, it was removed. Problem was, I got home and had no internet connection (modem connected fine, but got no ping). So I got in touch with tech support and got things going again.

Today, I decided to call in and see if the fee was gone. Well, it wasn't. Told them to take it off, and the rep gave me the whole script about how the SB5101 isn't on the approved list, blah blah blah. Hung up and gave another go twice with online reps. They both got some kind of error trying to remove the fee.

Should I be calling EL instead of TWC?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 PM

269 posts, read 321,557 times
Except for the 45 min wait at TWC to return my rental, it was pretty pain-free for me. I'm using a Moto modem and it has been smooth sailing since setup.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
Should I be calling EL instead of TWC?
Yes.....they seem to be more on the ball about knowing what they're doing than TWC.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Except for the 45 min wait at TWC to return my rental, it was pretty pain-free for me. I'm using a Moto modem and it has been smooth sailing since setup.
The Saturday morning wait for me was 2hrs to turn mine in. TWC really needs to revamp the Atlantic Ave customer service center...it's worse than going to the DMV.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:39 AM

269 posts, read 321,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The Saturday morning wait for me was 2hrs to turn mine in. TWC really needs to revamp the Atlantic Ave customer service center...it's worse than going to the DMV.
I believe it! I went there first on a Saturday, but left when I saw how many numbers were in front of me. The 45 min wait was mid-morning during the week.

I couldn't believe how much stuff had to be typed in just to return a modem. Their process and systems definitely need an upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary