Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:49 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If you really want to save some buckaroos, get your own cable modem (I purchased mine on ebay for around $9) and you'll save the $5.99/mo lease fee. 2 months and it's paid for.
Yup. Got an SB5101 on the way.

I can't believe they'd start charging me for a modem I've had for what, 10 years or so? In fact, when we moved, the technician brought a different modem but left me with my old one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 PM

25 posts, read 19,914 times
Where did you see that SB5101 will work? It's not on TWC's list at www.twc.com/approveddevices

Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Where did you see that SB5101 will work? It's not on TWC's list at www.twc.com/approveddevices
This post on TWC's forum mentions that it will work fine: TWC: Approved Modems To Own List (Internet) - TWC Community Forums

Ignoring the number scheme, the SB5101 actually has a newer chipset than my now "rented" SB5120, which is not on that list either. I will have my SB5101 in a few days and will report back.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,497 times
Thanks for the heads up Jmart. I just got off the phone with Earthlink and asked them about this rate increase. The immediately offered me a promo deal for $34.95/month for 12 months. $41.95/month after 12 months. Make sure you call Earthlink though, not Time Warner. I called Time Warner and they were very "hands off" because I am an Earthlink customer.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
My 2-year lock at $30 with TWC is about to expire at the end of March (one more bill for $36 and change). They'll probably hike it up to $55+ a month. It looks like I'll be joining the ranks of earthlink very shortly. Thanks for all the info everyone.
I was "hiked" up to $71/mo from their promo pricing of $44/mo. That's for their standard internet with turbo (20mbps down/2mbps up)...I think I'm grandfathered into that plan. That includes their ridiculous modem fee and the equally ridiculous taxes. I've got to switch.

One of the few good things is that TWC doesn't have data caps...yet.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Thanks for the heads up Jmart. I just got off the phone with Earthlink and asked them about this rate increase. The immediately offered me a promo deal for $34.95/month for 12 months. $41.95/month after 12 months. Make sure you call Earthlink though, not Time Warner. I called Time Warner and they were very "hands off" because I am an Earthlink customer.
Did you by chance save that # or have it written down somewhere? There are numerous Earthlink numbers, from local 919 numbers, Pittsburg #'s, and toll-free ones.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I was "hiked" up to $71/mo from their promo pricing of $44/mo. That's for their standard internet with turbo (20mbps down/2mbps up)...I think I'm grandfathered into that plan. That includes their ridiculous modem fee and the equally ridiculous taxes. I've got to switch.

One of the few good things is that TWC doesn't have data caps...yet.
If you switch read thru this it will help

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...earthlink.html

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM

310 posts, read 575,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If you switch read thru this it will help

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...earthlink.html
I just tried calling the number which you said got you hooked up with someone in Pittsburgh, to discuss my bill. Tonite it's going to India. "Cathy" said she is with the installation dept. and place me on hold while they transfer me. After about 5 minutes I hung up and tried again just in case calls are assigned via random number generator. This time I spoke with "Elliot" Sahasranama who also claimed to be in the installation dept.

I may try the local 919 number in the next day or so. God forbid I have to go back to the number on Earthlinks website which put me in such a foul mood this past Sunday. For now I'm giving up since I am still enjoying life and don't want to go to bed angry.

Hey Elnk, are you still listening?

Last edited by slim2none; 02-19-2014 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Changed "fowl" to "foul". Speaking with Earthlink/TWC does not make me feel like poultry.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,925 times
I called Eathlink at 1-800-817-5508 last night and also spoke to someone in India. I got through fast and he was nice. He didn't know of any rate increase, and told me that my rate will never increase. I actually had him repeat that because of my disbelief. He said if TWC ever billed me anything other than $41.95 to call EarthLink and they will correct it. I then asked about the modem lease fee and he said they had not been informed about that at all either, but didn't say that they couldn't start charging me one. When I asked if they could, he was not sure. He tried to get a rep from TWC on the phone, but after 5+ min of being on hold he came back and told me he could not get through to them.

I wish I felt more confident about the "my rate will never change" information I was given, but even though I had him repeat it I felt it was hard to believe. So, I called TWC to find out about the modem lease fee and to see if I could get them to confirm that somehow their letter did not apply to me --- even though in the letter it specifically said "your rate will increase."

After several attempts at getting through, getting disconnected somehow, and listening to coach Cowher each time, I finally got someone who needed to transfer me to someone else to answer my questions (by using this shady tactic). The Woman I spoke to knew about the letter and the rate increase, but couldn't confirm whether it applied to me or not. She was surprised I was still on $41.95 per month because the 2013 rate for that was something like $54.99 per month and the 2014 increase was to $57.99. She seriously suggested I take a wait and see approach. I explained that it is difficult enough to get through to someone at TWC and I'd like to be able to plan accordingly for this rate increase by switching to something else before it actually happened. Why would I pay $57.99 when TWC advertises the same speed on their site (Standard service) for only $34.99 for 12 months? Also, Earthlink is still advertising the $41.95 plan on their site. She agreed and said she would follow-up with her supervisor today and find out more. I asked if she, or her supervisor, would mind calling me to confirm this and she said she would give him my number and have him call me this evening.

So, sorry for the long post but I do feel a little better now. Still not sure if my rate is going to increase, but at least EarthLink doesn't think it will, ever. I'll be extremely surprised if I hear from TWC this evening, but you never know. It's frustrating that it's so difficult to get someone on the phone there, and then they don't have any real answers. The lady was nice, and it's not her fault, but TWC has some serious customer service issues.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,377 times
j-mart77 - I sincerely apologize for the confusion, but I want to assure you that your $41.95/mo rate for EarthLink Powered by Time Warner Cable will NOT be increased. Customers who do not own their modem will see a $5.99/mo internet modem lease fee added to their account though.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary