Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Yeah - I live alone and am hoping that I will avoid unstable or addicted spouses in the future, but I just didn't see a need for one overall. It was just a spur of the moment thought right after.

I do have a dog but I saw no blood on my carpet after the robbery and I'm guessing the person just gave the dog a treat. I was lucky my dog was left behind.
Wow. That alone would have left me wondering if I should arm myself. I'm glad your pup is okay!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
The study that came up with this statistic was thoroughly discredited in the 90s. Try again.

A single anecdote is not data. By your logic, you should also remove knives, shovels, axes, circular saws, hammers, chainsaws, screwdrivers, icepicks, bleach, ammonia, Drano, string, rope, swimming pools, stairs, baseball bats, golf clubs and cars from your house as well if you have a spouse since any of them can(and have been) be used to kill (that is how Nicole Brown Simpson died). See, I can be off-topic and tongue in cheek with a single anecdote as well.

Now to the OP, as I said before check IMAPs however the Triangle area is very safe overall compared to a lot of the country. And yes, people have guns here but there aren't any wild west shootouts. Remember that people who own pistols get checked twice (once by NC, once by the Feds) and rifle and shotgun owners get checked by the feds. So don't worry about the non-criminals owning guns. The Triangle is a great place to raise a family and I hope you find success here.

Alright, alright, alright.

This isn't going to be a gun topic, netbrad.

I'm done discussing this.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
True enough. Honestly if I felt unsafe in general I would own a gun - I say this as someone very much lefty in other ways. I just don't. It was an isolated thing and my leaving the patio door open with only the screen closed certainly didn't help (sigh).

I do have several menacing saws, and an axe.
I see why you want to avoid those mentally unstable and/or addicted partners, then.

We have saws and an axe, too. Utility!

I have some rather sharp knives (for cooking, but we're pretty picky about keeping good knives).

I suppose I could get knifed, but I do use the knives for something daily... so I reckon I'll take my chances.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
Redzin - see you have changed name :-) was wondering who you were for a while - welcome! Lol

Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Thanks for your insight - always interesting to hear what locals have to say. I am learning the gun debate is obviously one of those things that get discussed on forums like this but opinions are so polarized that agreement is never reached!
did LOL at the soccer hooligans - they are amateurs :-)

Shanti - you seem to get what I mean - how are you and your son settling down?
Yes I do! The three of us are settling in just fine. My English husband seems to take the whole gun thing in stride more than me. Yesterday I picked my son up from preschool and the first thing he says to me in the car is "Wesley has 2 real guns at home and he said I can go to his house and shoot them"! Wesley is five yrs old ! My son knows my basic thoughts about guns but I try not to harp about them too much , if I do he will want to play with them more. I feel a bit frustrated that my friends back in the UK don't have to have these conversations with their children. Their preschoolers don't have lock down drills at school. Just a difference in culture I guess.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Alright, alright, alright.

This isn't going to be a gun topic, netbrad.

I'm done discussing this.
You brought it up, not me. Just making a counterpoint.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM

I think the OP got her answers. If you have any more info on crime in the area (what little crime there is, anyway) feel free to PM the OP.

Thread closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary