Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 07:31 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times

Advertisements

My husband had his gallbladder out about a year ago. He was back at work the next day.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

I don't dislike Hockey but it is no where near the level the NFL/MLB/NBA is on.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:03 PM

29 posts, read 121,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
My husband had his gallbladder out about a year ago. He was back at work the next day.
Part of the problem is that since I put in my resignation, I don't get paid sick days for the next three weeks. Also, you're not supposed to lift heavy items for a short time...of course I can always pay for movers.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Congrats to Tluv & Tuborg for finally having the family all in one place!

We chose to keep the gifts fairly simple this year ... or so I thought until my mother gave me a beautiful stained glass window that she made herself. Mom usually sells her art, but I have had my eye on this particular piece for a while so she gave it to me instead of selling it. The window is octogonal and features bluebirds and dogwood blossoms. It will be a gorgeous addition to our breakfast nook.
This sounds fabolous and a very sweet gift I would love for you to share a photo of it.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I don't dislike Hockey but it is no where near the level the NFL/MLB/NBA is on.
If you get paid to get knocked on your ass by someone moving as fast as an NFL football player and you have to get right back up and haul it back to the other side of a sheet of ice surrounded by Plexiglas and 18,000 people around it, you're playing a professional sport. Period.

Put plainly, you are best served to become a hockey fan and support the Hurricanes if you ever want to see any other major league sports any closer to you than Charlotte. There's an outside chance that Raleigh/Durham/Etc. could land a MLB team (think Marlins) but it will have local competition from Charlotte which made a bid for the Expos/Nationals as well as from other cities (San Antonio, Portland). The main justification for MLB coming to Raleigh would be the success of minor league ball (which is around there and is pro sports as well, if not top-level) and especially the major (semi-major if you see it that way) team that's there - the Hurricanes. If the Canes miss the playoffs for a few seasons in a row and people stop filling a 18,000-seat arena, it's going to be hard to explain how the RDU area is going to put 30,000+ in a ballpark that doesn't exist yet and why it should be paid for with money that might otherwise go to building schools or something like that.

The NFL and the NBA aren't happening with the Panthers and Bobcats 170 miles away, and both would have to compete with the local college basketball scene which is still king there (this particularly applies to the NBA). The NFL would require a stadium be built if it did come. The NBA could use RBC but it will be a logistical challenge with the Canes and NC State basketball already playing their home games there in the winter. On top of that - this board with its posts from fans of several different NFL teams - is that Raleigh has a large transient population who have already established their NFL loyalties and now they have DirecTV and whatnot to keep up with their team no matter where they live.

As it is, the Triangle has probably the most unique sports scene for a metro its size. You've got one big-league team with a following behind it, much like San Antonio with the Spurs or Portland with the Trailblazers, but unlike those cities you have the college scene and minor league baseball getting more attention than it does in most cities with major league sports. And then there's NASCAR...

Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
If you get paid to get knocked on your ass by someone moving as fast as an NFL football player and you have to get right back up and haul it back to the other side of a sheet of ice surrounded by Plexiglas and 18,000 people around it, you're playing a professional sport. Period.

Put plainly, you are best served to become a hockey fan and support the Hurricanes if you ever want to see any other major league sports any closer to you than Charlotte. There's an outside chance that Raleigh/Durham/Etc. could land a MLB team (think Marlins) but it will have local competition from Charlotte which made a bid for the Expos/Nationals as well as from other cities (San Antonio, Portland). The main justification for MLB coming to Raleigh would be the success of minor league ball (which is around there and is pro sports as well, if not top-level) and especially the major (semi-major if you see it that way) team that's there - the Hurricanes. If the Canes miss the playoffs for a few seasons in a row and people stop filling a 18,000-seat arena, it's going to be hard to explain how the RDU area is going to put 30,000+ in a ballpark that doesn't exist yet and why it should be paid for with money that might otherwise go to building schools or something like that.

The NFL and the NBA aren't happening with the Panthers and Bobcats 170 miles away, and both would have to compete with the local college basketball scene which is still king there (this particularly applies to the NBA). The NFL would require a stadium be built if it did come. The NBA could use RBC but it will be a logistical challenge with the Canes and NC State basketball already playing their home games there in the winter. On top of that - this board with its posts from fans of several different NFL teams - is that Raleigh has a large transient population who have already established their NFL loyalties and now they have DirecTV and whatnot to keep up with their team no matter where they live.

As it is, the Triangle has probably the most unique sports scene for a metro its size. You've got one big-league team with a following behind it, much like San Antonio with the Spurs or Portland with the Trailblazers, but unlike those cities you have the college scene and minor league baseball getting more attention than it does in most cities with major league sports. And then there's NASCAR...
That is great that YOU like hockey. I'm talking from a national perspective and hockey isn't very popular. It can't even get on a major network. Comparing hockey here to the Spurs is a very very far reach. The spurs have a loyal fan base while I think there were maybe 5k at the hurricanes game I went to the other week. The fact is the Hurricanes are somewhat popular because they won the cup, people love to get on a banwagon.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:12 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Default Thank Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Congrats to Tluv & Tuborg for finally having the family all in one place!

We chose to keep the gifts fairly simple this year ... or so I thought until my mother gave me a beautiful stained glass window that she made herself. Mom usually sells her art, but I have had my eye on this particular piece for a while so she gave it to me instead of selling it. The window is octogonal and features bluebirds and dogwood blossoms. It will be a gorgeous addition to our breakfast nook.
It really was special. Gifts were as you can imagine house related but what made it really special was the youngest coming in from California to share in all the newness.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the Big three mainstream sports. Hockey has very little national appeal. This area has College sports going for it. Most people would take NBA and NFL that Charlotte has over hockey.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillykat View Post
That sounds lovely! My aunt makes stained glass items on occasion...we're sort of an "artsy fartsy" family. Enjoy it! I'm sure it'll look great when the sun is shining!
Ours is a very artsy family, too. Quite a few members of my family have various artistic hobbies, although my brother is the only one who pays the bills by selling his work. Mom is gearing up for retirement, though, and for her that simply means she'll have more time to work in her glass studio. Oddly enough, I'm the only one with leanings towards the performing arts. I suspect I get that from my daddy, the ol' Reverend.

Sunny, here it is. The pic is a bit crap, but it's the best I can do at the moment. Her talents have grown since she made this piece. She has started doing some rather nice commisioned pieces, too. This was her first window, though, so it's nice to keep it within the family.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
Mary,

That is beautiful! Your mother is very talented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary