Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

I saw the line waiting to get in as I drove by at 6:40 this AM. Longer than I would have guessed.

Slight hick-up, but if you go to their website, it still shows this store as "to open on 10/29". Only minor, but they should now update the link to a clickable store. (Posting in case someone from Publix sees this.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Drove by about an hour ago and the lot was absolutely packed. I have seen Facebook pictures of people lining up in the dark like it was an iPhone sale or something.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
My wife called me about 10minutes ago as she was walking in. Said it was still very busy. Looking for an update once she finishes her walk around.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times
At noon: an absolute madhouse! A struggle to find parking, a jam-packed selling floor. I found one favorite item priced much higher than I've been paying elsewhere. Another favorite item is a brand they just don't sell. I left without buying anything. All in all, this first impression was unfavorable.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:45 AM

My wife was in around noon as well. Jam packed, even moreso than when we visited the state fair two Saturdays ago. It was too busy to check out the prepared foods and bakery, a couple of things we were interested in seeing. Her view was that pricing is similar to Lowe's, whose prices seem to have gone up since we last shopped there about a year ago.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:48 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
At noon: an absolute madhouse! A struggle to find parking, a jam-packed selling floor. I found one favorite item priced much higher than I've been paying elsewhere. Another favorite item is a brand they just don't sell. I left without buying anything. All in all, this first impression was unfavorable.

So, it sounds just like HT then! That is my experience every time I go there now, even for things they carried a few years ago.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Went back over around 12:30 because kids wanted to go. Couldn't even get in the lot!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post

Publix is not a place that is known for low prices......unless they are trying to destroy nearby competition. Their regular pricing is higher in general.

I would be interested to find out how the service is up there.

Also, make sure to check out the bakery and fresh grinder/sub counter. Seems like people always like that part, although I find it just okay.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
Was there this morning when they opened and stood in line for about 10 minutes or less to get in the store. Everyone was given a small bag with a few samples from the pharmacy (hand lotion, a few gummy vitamins, magnet with pharmacy info on it) and a carnation from the florist dept. It was super crowded with the parking lot nearly full from the get go.

I found the prices to be as high, if not higher than Harris Teeter. The deli and bakery department jammed up quickly and had a lot to offer from what I saw. The prepared sandwiches and salads looked nice, but a little pricey. They have a hot bar with Chinese food like HT and an Olive bar. Not sure if I saw a salad bar. They did have several two-fer offers. Got two half gallons of ice tea for the price of one ($1.79 I think) for example. Several flavors of it and even diet to choose from. When I saw the higher prices I focused on the house brand items which are very good prices and in every department.

At the check out they gave each shopper one of those cloth recyclable bags. The employees were friendly and helpful considering how big the crowd was.

All in all it wouldn't be my go to place just because of the prices, although there were many brands there that I'd not seen before.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:57 PM

We're about to head over at about 6:30pm or so. Anyone who stopped by after work have any input on the crowd situation now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary