Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

They just announced they are shortening their hours this week to work on ironing out some of the kinks. Most of the complaints I have heard relate to poor service and beer prices being out of whack. Hopefully they will address both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 01:53 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
According to what I've read on Twitter they do plan on changing pricing and getting service up to speed. Though the service will be better when the initial rush dies off. Evidently people were lined up down the block Saturday to get in.

Or maybe there is room for another similar place around here.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:32 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
Friday night at like 9pm there was also a line of like 30 people to get in. We went around 530, had a couple drinks then went to dinner somewhere else. Should be a nice place once the crowds die down and the kinks are worked out, we still had fun Friday there.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:56 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Any time someone mentions a new business on "Glenwood Avenue" I get excited. But then most of the time they are referring to Glenwood South, which from my perspective (Brier Creek) might as well be downtown. (I guess technically it is downtown, isn't it?) Oh well. Sounds like an interesting place. Maybe I'll check it out sometime.

Last edited by zitsky; 07-26-2015 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Checked the map

Old 07-26-2015, 05:37 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I'd not be happy if I popped 8 or 9 bucks for some exotic pint only to find it had gone skunky because there's been little turn in the product.
A beer will go "skunky" due to exposure to light. This should not be a problem in their tap system. What you may be referring to is when beer sits in the tap line too long and picks up a moldy/mildewy character from improper tap line cleaning.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Now that I am a bit older, I find 6 to 9 dollar beers to be expensive. I try to find specials and mostly buy good beer and take home to enjoy by the pool. I wish I had this mind set when I was younger and I would be rich.
Funny, the older I get the more I tend to AVOID places that simply sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Unfortunately any establishment in Glenwood South isn't about providing products or service for a good price. Much like DisneyLand your paying a premium for the experience.. A few dollars more per item and paying to park weeds out the customers who prefer to budget and spend their money rationally. That's not the clientele downtown is going for these days. Not saying I wouldn't go but I definitely wouldn't expect it to be a good deal ,moneywise.
I think you pay a premium for the higher rents being charged on GWS. Even for GWS, that is crazy high. I don't think you would pay more than $4.50 anywhere up and down Glenwood. I can't wait to go, but if I want to go somewhere crowded and clublike, it won't be a beergarden. I will wait til the crowd dies down.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
A beer will go "skunky" due to exposure to light. This should not be a problem in their tap system. What you may be referring to is when beer sits in the tap line too long and picks up a moldy/mildewy character from improper tap line cleaning.
Thanks for the clarification, New. Regardless of the mechanics let's hope RBG sets as high a premium on quality control has they have on prices.

Presumably it should be first rate system since it's a new build. When Carolina Ale House opened their new facility next door I chatted with one of their staffers who told me their keg/tap system room was held to pretty much hospital operating room standards of clean.

I guess the other question I alluded to was if they have a keg of Unobtainium IPA (hey, I just made that name up, but I think I'd better trademark it quick. Not a bad name if you ask me) and they're only selling a few pints a week from a selection of 350+ beers available, at some point the product isn't going to be optimal as an item that turns more quickly. As an owner I guess you have a choice to make: pull the product, serve the product regardless or put it on special quick. In two of those choices you're taking a financial hit. Hopefully it's baked in the fiscal cake, but when you've dropped major coin to build a new operation it leaves the door open for less-than-customer-centric decisions.

Guess we'll find out.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think you pay a premium for the higher rents being charged on GWS. Even for GWS, that is crazy high. I don't think you would pay more than $4.50 anywhere up and down Glenwood. I can't wait to go, but if I want to go somewhere crowded and clublike, it won't be a beergarden. I will wait til the crowd dies down.
$5-$6 for a pint of quality beer seems to be the going rate anywhere in Raleigh for a quality craft beer. $4.50 is cheap. I looked at their price list, and while some seemed really high ($6 for a Yuengling must be because anyone that would go to a place like that and order a Yeungling got dragged kicking and screaming anyway), there were some really good deals on the list. I think I recall $4.50 for a Hoppyyum, which is lower than any non-special price I've seen, and many of the local crafts were low too.

As stated, I think they need to work on their pricing. But I think some are unusually high, and SOME are unuusally low. All in all it's a decent balance.

I may go there at some point in the future, but I'd just as soon find a place with 10-20 quality taps at a decent price, with food and service to match. If they have all that (among their 300+ taps) then I'll go and go again. Also would love to take out of town customers there if the crowds die down...

Flying Saucer is a good "beer knurd" alternative, IMO.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Looking at the way they have the system set up form those pics, the lines should be pretty good. The cooler is right back behind that giant wall of taps and they said they were trying to keep the lines to 12' or less for all of them.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Presumably it should be first rate system since it's a new build. When Carolina Ale House opened their new facility next door I chatted with one of their staffers who told me their keg/tap system room was held to pretty much hospital operating room standards of clean.
Just curious, what new facility are you talking about? And for all the Yuengling haters, I think it's a good beer but not worth $6. Sometimes I drink Yuengling and other times a porter or lager. Yuengling is better than something like Coors, Budweiser, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary