Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,820,415 times

Advertisements

The elementary and middle school boys in my neighborhood are way more concerned about brands/labels than the girls. It looks like they go to the Under Armour store a couple times a week. My daughter (almost 11) has never asked for anything because she saw someone else wearing it. Her friends all dress differently and nobody seems to care.

It seems like the parents tend to impart the status clothes thing onto their kids-the kids really don't seem to care.

The high schoolers are more into athletic wear than fashion, too-our babysitters usually show up after some sort of sports practice in sweats.

There are a few trends that can be spotted but again it doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

Coming from the Northeast where is was a HUGE deal from a very young age (to the point where my wife's friends' parents would check the tags on her clothes when she came over)
it's pretty refreshing to not have this hanging over kids' heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 01:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,046,501 times
My girls are in 3rd and 5th grade. I haven't noticed any particular must-have fad as far as clothing is concerned. They don't really seem to care much at all, to be honest. I doubt they know what brand their shoes are; I know I don't.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:12 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
The elementary and middle school boys in my neighborhood are way more concerned about brands/labels than the girls. It looks like they go to the Under Armour store a couple times a week. My daughter (almost 11) has never asked for anything because she saw someone else wearing it. Her friends all dress differently and nobody seems to care.

It seems like the parents tend to impart the status clothes thing onto their kids-the kids really don't seem to care.

The high schoolers are more into athletic wear than fashion, too-our babysitters usually show up after some sort of sports practice in sweats.

There are a few trends that can be spotted but again it doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

Coming from the Northeast where is was a HUGE deal from a very young age (to the point where my wife's friends' parents would check the tags on her clothes when she came over)
it's pretty refreshing to not have this hanging over kids' heads.
Ugh. Yeah... I have never experienced that here. I think it might be a small town thing down here, though. Where you can tell which people are the "rich" kids because they have X label clothing.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:40 PM

22,693 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
Not much for my 6th grade boy either. He is super into socks .
Oh, same here for my 6th grade girl. We went thru the Nike Elite stage, which thankfully we did not break the bank on because it turns out she doesn't like them ("too bumpy"). She does the UA equivalent. Also, anything neon.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 AM

61 posts, read 50,331 times
Oh and another thing that is popular here with the girls is wearing socks that don't match! Makes my life easier but I'm still finding it crazy!

Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH0723 View Post
Oh and another thing that is popular here with the girls is wearing socks that don't match! Makes my life easier but I'm still finding it crazy!
My daughter has done that for over 10 years now. LOL. I'll let her know it's a trend. She just could not be fussed to match up socks as a little kid. In fact, over the past 2 years, hers are starting to match more often than not.

Kids are a hoot.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 AM

514 posts, read 603,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My daughter has done that for over 10 years now. LOL. I'll let her know it's a trend. She just could not be fussed to match up socks as a little kid. In fact, over the past 2 years, hers are starting to match more often than not.

Kids are a hoot.
My 9 y/o has been doing that for years as well. I don't know that it is related to being a fad so much as her just thinking it is fun to be more colorful.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
My 9 y/o has been doing that for years as well. I don't know that it is related to being a fad so much as her just thinking it is fun to be more colorful.
Is she artsy? My daughter is and I think that's a really good point. And, I think mine was pretty lazy in elementary, too.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:41 AM

514 posts, read 603,530 times
Quote:
Is she artsy? My daughter is and I think that's a really good point. And, I think mine was pretty lazy in elementary, too.
She has a slight artsy element but is much more involved in athletics. Mom loves to play up the crafty side and I just devote all my time to coaching her

The lazy thing definitely applies to mine as well, in many scenarios, but the socks are intentional.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:30 AM

580 posts, read 713,414 times
Quote:

Kids are a hoot.

There was a Safety Patrol girl the other day in carpool with mix-matched socks and I was sitting there thinking is that a new thing?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary