Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 AM

153 posts, read 173,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yes, VDOT has to submit their own application to AASHTO and FHWA for their section of I-87. I don't see it happening. To be brutally honest, I don't believe for a second VA will ever build their part of I-87. Don't get me wrong, I definitely want I-87 built. But let's face it, NC pretty much strong-armed VA into getting the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor signed into law. VDOT didn't have a choice but to agree. Only 4 out of 11 VA Congressmen supported the bill while all of NC's supported it. The only support I-87 has in VA is from Hampton Roads. The rest of the state couldn't care less about it, no more than they ever did for I-73, which is now dead in VA. I-87 already has two strikes against it, the same two strikes that pretty much eliminated I-73: 1) I-87 doesn't lead to or benefit Richmond. 2) I-87 doesn't lead to or benefit NoVA. Hampton Roads should thank NC for being on a future interstate corridor (and I'm fairly certain they already have). I guarantee it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for NC.
I'm a little more optimistic. Sequestration woke up many in Virginia to the fact that the state's economy was too heavily tied to federal and military spending. Since then, there have been new efforts made across the commonwealth to diversify the economy. Granted, I think the state has a long way to go, but at least the right conversations have started.

Outside of the military and military-associated industries, the port is the main economic driver in Hampton Roads. Given the growing competition from other ports in Savannah, Charleston, and even Batimore, I don't think it's going to take a lot of arguing to convince the state that I-87 provides an enormous benefit to the region by strategically positioning its port as the most accessible Panamax-ready facility to the greatest number of large markets in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast.

Besides, over half of the I-87 corridor is already being upgraded to an Interstate-grade facility, so we're really only talking about 8-10 miles of new/upgraded roadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 PM

4,595 posts, read 6,424,950 times
Quote:
The number 87 was selected largely because the southern end of the road is in Raleigh between I-85 and I-95, Milazzo said.

The number also is tied to four historic years, he said. The colony of Sir Walter Raleigh was lost on Roanoke Island in 1587. James Madison’s 1787 Virginia Plan helped established the nation’s form of government. North Carolina State University was founded in 1887. Norfolk’s tallest building, Dominion Tower, was built in 1987.

The highway opens a better route between two prosperous mid-Atlantic states, Milazzo said.
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/tr...230f8475b.html

Old 06-12-2016, 09:50 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff22152 View Post
I'm a little more optimistic. Sequestration woke up many in Virginia to the fact that the state's economy was too heavily tied to federal and military spending. Since then, there have been new efforts made across the commonwealth to diversify the economy. Granted, I think the state has a long way to go, but at least the right conversations have started. It took long enough.

Outside of the military and military-associated industries, the port is the main economic driver in Hampton Roads. Given the growing competition from other ports in Savannah, Charleston, and even Batimore, I don't think it's going to take a lot of arguing to convince the state that I-87 provides an enormous benefit to the region by strategically positioning its port as the most accessible Panamax-ready facility to the greatest number of large markets in the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast. I hope you're right. Problem is, Hampton Roads is facing an uphill battle with NoVA since NoVA is considered by the state to be the economic powerhouse of VA. I don't think NoVA politicians in the General Assembly will be too keen on money going towards an interstate that has no benefit to them. NoVA Congressmen refused to support the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor bill in the first place. Unless the politics in Richmond change, Hampton Roads will continue to play second fiddle. Like I said, Hampton Roads owes their thanks to NC.

Besides, over half of the I-87 corridor is already being upgraded to an Interstate-grade facility, so we're really only talking about 8-10 miles of new/upgraded roadway. There are no projects currently slated to upgrade the corridor. The only sections of the corridor that currently meets interstate standards is the US-64 Knightdale Bypass near Raleigh, which is currently signed as I-495, though it will soon change to I-87, and a section of US-64 near Tarboro. US-64 from I-440 in Raleigh to Williamston is a 70mph freeway, but most of the route lacks 10 ft. outside shoulders, which is one of the requirements to meet interstate standards. US-64 in Nashville west of Rocky Mount will need more than shoulder work. The grassy median is too narrow. NCDOT will likely have to reconstruct that section and add a concrete jersey barrier in the median. US-17 from Williamston to the state line will take a LOT of work to upgrade, not the least of which are the substandard bridges over the Chowan River and Perquimans River. The only section of US-17 in NC that will be easy to upgrade is the US-17 freeway bypass of Elizabeth City. VA's section near the state line will be relatively easy to upgrade, but downtown Chesapeake is where it becomes a problem. The Dominion Boulevard widening project isn't bringing US-17 to interstate standards since there are at-grade intersections being left in place since the project was underway before the Raleigh-Norfolk interstate idea came about. Talk about bad timing. The I-64/I-464/US-17 interchange will also need to be re-done. I-87 should take over I-464 and end at I-264 in Norfolk. VDOT could ask AASHTO to decommission I-464 and re-sign it as I-87, just like NCDOT plans to do with a part of I-440 and all of I-495. It would make sense, IMO.
Replied in bold.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:54 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
That's a nice positive spin on the numbering choice in the article. I guess announcing the fact that I-87 only came about because AASHTO canned I-89 doesn't sound as good.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:56 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
This is where the "Future I-nn" stuff gets ridiculous. I'd like to believe that I will live long enough for NCDOT to retrofit the existing highways and remove the "Future". But I doubt it, and note that the longer it takes the greater the chance that the standards will be modified to create new compliance hurdles.

Under the same logic, NCDOT could ask for Future I-340 for the Wade Avenue extension and erect the signs without any firm plans to eliminate the PNC Arena backdoor. Or for that matter, slap Future I-985 on NC 147. The games that can be played are endless.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
I always wondered what about 147 wasn't up to standard anyway? Is it the shoulders and breakdown lanes?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
This is where the "Future I-nn" stuff gets ridiculous. I'd like to believe that I will live long enough for NCDOT to retrofit the existing highways and remove the "Future". But I doubt it, and note that the longer it takes the greater the chance that the standards will be modified to create new compliance hurdles.

Under the same logic, NCDOT could ask for Future I-340 for the Wade Avenue extension and erect the signs without any firm plans to eliminate the PNC Arena backdoor. Or for that matter, slap Future I-985 on NC 147. The games that can be played are endless.
They're actually building the East End Connector which is the biggest step in getting part of 147 signed as I-885. There must be no need for Future signs if the work is evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I always wondered what about 147 wasn't up to standard anyway? Is it the shoulders and breakdown lanes?
Pretty much.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
They're actually building the East End Connector which is the biggest step in getting part of 147 signed as I-885.
Yeah but I was thinking about the ancient segment through DT Durham.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 AM

58 posts, read 48,337 times
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
So that means we'll be getting two 40/42s an exit apart from each other?
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
That is a very good point. It is no worse than 70 now as we have Hwy 70, Bus 70, 70 Bypass, Old 70.
Trying to explain this to my inlaws who just moved down is like pulling teeth. People keep getting lost and turned around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Just be thankful NC is building for the future.

Georgia does nothing. Yes, they are finally building new toll lanes alongside I-85 and I-75 for $12 per trip during morning rush, but as Atlanta's population tripled from the early 90's to now, they sat back and did nothing.

3 million people in northern suburbs have 1 freeway to travel east/ west: I-285 built in the '60s.

You don't realize how much better NC runs things than many other states until you experience living in a do-nothing state like Georgia.
Part of the problems is that Atlanta has huge sprawl. I just hope that the RDU area doesn't end up like this.

We need more public transportation, like the light rail.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:39 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Yeah but I was thinking about the ancient segment through DT Durham.
Ah, gotcha. Well, since that segment would connect to an Interstate at either end, they'd probably call it Future 685. Presumably, that is.

But then again, who knows. 540 was supposed to become 640 at some point, but they backed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary