Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM

678 posts, read 738,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I don't think it is a desire to "get rid of" these places, more an acknowledgment that these places can't really sustain themselves if they are in a busy area with corresponding high rents. If people like yourself were doing more buying and less browsing, then perhaps they could afford to stay. Retail is a tough, tough business to me in right now, no matter where you are.

Walmart and Hobby Lobby and other big box stores destroyed many trinket/gift shop stores before the Internet did. If you're a local business and don't own your own space, you'll be in trouble. If you own your own space, you'll have to decide between cashing out on the real estate or keeping the business going
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
First off, I want to apologize for being an older person who happens to adore the "old" downtown Cary. From these comments I see that we are not supposed to have venues that are enjoyed by our clan. I loved browsing the "trinket" store--just like a museum of bygone talents. Grab and go restaurants? How about sit down and have a conversation with your companions or those in the next table over. The rest of our area has become so geared toward children and young adults why not leave a few historically familiar places for the older crowd to enjoy? Yes, an expansion will be fine, but what's with the desire to "get rid of" the little charming places already there.
The "old" downtown Cary really didn't have much in it to draw people. Yes, there were some places, just not enough for people to give stores the foot traffic to sustain themselves if they were paying rent. Now that DT is becoming more desirable, the stores paying rent will be facing increased rent, and if they are not making good enough sales, they cannot afford to stay downtown. It's just business, really.

If more places are able to ramp up sales as the DT area grows, more places will stay in business.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 43,052 times
Sorry if this has been previously discussed in this thread, but in respect to the issues folk have been sharing about with La Farm - there's always the new Annelore's German Bakery not too far down the road from there, that is getting great reviews over on Yelp.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:21 AM

242 posts, read 150,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post

Anyone have any info? It's kind of like a vote of "no confidence" in DT Cary by Lionel. Also, there was supposed to be a 50 million mixed use development with lots of new residential going in right around there (Chatham and Harrison). Maybe that has changed too???

I hope they don't overdo that Chatham/Harrison corner. I assume whatever will be there is years out, but I had heard second hand about leases not being renewed in that little office strip building. So the potential is that the early prep is starting.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:34 AM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
First off, I want to apologize for being an older person who happens to adore the "old" downtown Cary. From these comments I see that we are not supposed to have venues that are enjoyed by our clan. I loved browsing the "trinket" store--just like a museum of bygone talents. Grab and go restaurants? How about sit down and have a conversation with your companions or those in the next table over. The rest of our area has become so geared toward children and young adults why not leave a few historically familiar places for the older crowd to enjoy? Yes, an expansion will be fine, but what's with the desire to "get rid of" the little charming places already there.
If you want a "blast from the past" and want to experience downtowns "frozen in time" that haven't changed much over the years, if at all, and serve better as a "museum of Americana"; then, I'll refer you to many-a-town in rural eastern Carolina, rural eastern Colorado, or rural central Illinois... average age.... 58 and climbing..... fast. I don't like it anymore than you... but that is what happens... is happening.

As a "younger family", with many working years ahead, we prefer being close to employment centers like DT Raleigh and RTP and thus value being in DT Cary (1/2 mile from Ashworths drugs). We moved here from one of those places so geared towards children and young adults = families...... sprawled out on the Apex/HS border. I was actually down there today, going for a run at Harris Lake, and man.... I can't believe I used to do that commute. I hope DT Cary continues to evolve to cater to ALL ages instead of lingering in a by-gone era. All ages should be able to enjoy and take advantage of its great convenient central triangle location.

Let me add: Historical preservation does have it's place; but, not every building built before 1950 should is a national historic site. Preservation is hard -difficult to justify financially/economically. Cary is trying but is struggling http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...211153679.html
Having said this, it will really be a shame if Ashworths closes and is replaced by "luxury apartments/condos" and/or McDonalds. http://carycitizen.com/2014/04/30/as...ates-57-years/ There is a balance.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 05-16-2018 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Let me add: "some nostalgia"

Old 05-16-2018, 11:38 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Not that it's a "desire". More that free market economics is going to favor the masses. I don't mean this AT ALL as a personal attack, but the cruel fact is that most* business owners don't care about you, or me, or anyone else. Only our dollars.

* most - because the trinket shop owner probably does, but his or her landlord doesn't, and they are going to charge as much rent as they possibly can to cover their investment. Simple economics is that a place slinging $7 beers out of a $100 keg is going to be able to afford a lot more money than the person selling trinkets, with a huge inventory, and 20% margins.

Sadly (and I do sympathize with you, sincerely), it's that simple.

There is no conspiracy against older people who like things the way they were. It's just that the world is moving on, with or without you. There will always be a market for some specialty places like you adore, but there will be less and less, and only the best of them will survive. I think.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2land View Post
I hope they don't overdo that Chatham/Harrison corner. I assume whatever will be there is years out, but I had heard second hand about leases not being renewed in that little office strip building. So the potential is that the early prep is starting.
mixed use...

Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeNC View Post
Sorry if this has been previously discussed in this thread, but in respect to the issues folk have been sharing about with La Farm - there's always the new Annelore's German Bakery not too far down the road from there, that is getting great reviews over on Yelp.
I don't think they offer any sandwiches or foods with more substance that breads and sweets... as La Farm currently does (except for when it's food truck is available). Also, stopped by Annelores's 2x so far for pretzels but they have been sold out; both times around 1-2pm. I love Annelores, many-a-yummy-treats bought at the State Farmer's Market in Raleigh and Cary's Octoberfest... but it might be "3 strikes and your out". Of course, they, like La Farm, might not care if I stop in or not for food as the primary purpose of their DT Cary locales is to serve as super convenient centrally located production facilities set up to serve their growing triangle ambitions (stores, catering, festivals). Basically, this is what the owner of Annelores told me when I stopped in for pretzels and they were out -that they moved to DT Cary for it's great central location convenient to many of the fares/festivals/catering that they do... including The State Farmers Market in Raleigh.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Yay!....... library Construction Starts on New Downtown Cary Library – CaryCitizen

Old 05-18-2018, 04:46 AM

Interesting article about suburbs developing their "downtowns" to become more urban/walkable and thus more attractive to younger couples who are looking to move out of the city once starting a family. Apparently, many desire a suburb that is a little more "urban"; closer to work and all kinds of super-convenient amenities (parks, recreation, entertainment, restaurants).

Chicagoland renters and buyers are itching for walkable suburbs. Enter 'surban.' - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary