Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:00 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,205 times

Advertisements

I live there and no it is not unreasonable to ask for the Town to provide the appropriate infrastructure before they permit dense housing. The issue is Avent Ferry Road in Holly Springs, not Raleigh as ABC 11 reported. It is a 2-lane road that runs from the by-pass to New Hill Holeman Rd near Harris Lake. Over the years they have allowed tons of new subdivisions, three schools, and more pending subdivisions already approved to be built with no requirement to widen the road. Avent Ferry is the evacuation route for that are and there is no chance anyone will ever get out with the amount of traffic that travels that road daily.

Residents like me who live off that road are unable to get to the bypass much of the day due to the massive backups that occur from school traffic & rush hour. We are not against development but are against development when there is no infrastructure in place. The council sees revenue and approves, approves, approves with no real plan to fix the infrastructure now except to say there is a 2-year plan for widening the road. We do not need a 2-year plan, we need the infrastructure now and the town council has not been listening. They have denied this latest development for now, which is a start but until you have driven Avent Ferry and seen the issue, you may want to reserve your judgement that residents are being unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 AM

252 posts, read 275,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Davis Drive and 55 are 4 lanes - 55 Bypass in Holly Springs is 4 lanes as well.

The bad thing about widening roads is that it only increases capacity which allows more people to move to an area resulting in traffic problems once again down the road. If you allow some level of congestion, traffic will get to a point where people will consider moving to other parts of the Triangle and growth will slow down to a level that is more manageable for Holly Springs. We're talking about a town that has tripled it's population in such a very short time and doesn't honestly have the resources like Raleigh to handle such crazy growth.
312% growth in 10 years, population has gone from 8,000 to 33,000 in that span.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Just saw a story on WRAL about a new development going in off Avent Ferry in Holly Springs. Many people against it due to the projected increase in traffic.

Are the residents being unreasonable expecting open land around them not to be developed?

Does Holly Springs need to get its act together as far as local roads go?

I see places West Cary and West Apex which has tons and tons and tons of development, with very little traffic issues. North Raleigh too? I haven't been up there much. Why can't Holly Springs follow suit?

Agree with you except for one thing - traffic in Apex sucks too. And when are they ever going to finish the Peakway? Seems like it's been three quarters done forever. Cary does the best job of moving traffic. I avoid 55 at all costs, Kildaire Farm Rd. is the best north-south route for me.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I assume infrastructure improvements are being denied due to budgetary reasons? Is so, maybe it's time to raise taxes - of course I bet everyone would vote against it. Again not to toot Cary's horn, but there's a reason the taxes are higher.

Shouldn't the developers be paying toward some of the road expansion when new developments go up?

To me it seems like strictly a budgeting issue.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
I live there and no it is not unreasonable to ask for the Town to provide the appropriate infrastructure before they permit dense housing. The issue is Avent Ferry Road in Holly Springs, not Raleigh as ABC 11 reported. It is a 2-lane road that runs from the by-pass to New Hill Holeman Rd near Harris Lake. Over the years they have allowed tons of new subdivisions, three schools, and more pending subdivisions already approved to be built with no requirement to widen the road. Avent Ferry is the evacuation route for that are and there is no chance anyone will ever get out with the amount of traffic that travels that road daily.

Residents like me who live off that road are unable to get to the bypass much of the day due to the massive backups that occur from school traffic & rush hour. We are not against development but are against development when there is no infrastructure in place. The council sees revenue and approves, approves, approves with no real plan to fix the infrastructure now except to say there is a 2-year plan for widening the road. We do not need a 2-year plan, we need the infrastructure now and the town council has not been listening. They have denied this latest development for now, which is a start but until you have driven Avent Ferry and seen the issue, you may want to reserve your judgement that residents are being unreasonable.
We used to live off of AF and moved 18 months ago. Best thing we ever did, we now live down Piney Grove Wilbon, off of Spence Farm Rd. We have a HS address but live outside of town limits, with .98 of an acre. I can't wait for the cut through that connects Piney Grove to the road behind Walmart.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
312% growth in 10 years, population has gone from 8,000 to 33,000 in that span.
That's a big increase in tax base.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
That's a big increase in tax base.
That's a great point as well.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
I assume infrastructure improvements are being denied due to budgetary reasons? Is so, maybe it's time to raise taxes - of course I bet everyone would vote against it. Again not to toot Cary's horn, but there's a reason the taxes are higher.

Shouldn't the developers be paying toward some of the road expansion when new developments go up?

Ideally the requirements to widen the road or any capacity improvements should have been distributed out among all the new developments out there (instead of now placing the blame on one development for traffic issues) when it's been contributed to by different developers. The town could have put pressure on different developments to widen the road in increments if it saw the eventual need for it. I did a traffic impact analysis in that area last year and I know the town required the development to widen the segment of the road along the frontage of the road they were impacting so maybe they have gotten smarter now. They weren't necessarily going to mark the road as 4 lanes afterwards but at least the pavement would be there if they ever needed additional lanes.

Avent Ferry Road is maintained by NCDOT but I don't think NCDOT would turn it down if Holly Springs wanted to pitch in to make any improvements to it. The Apex Peakway is not a state road so Apex is responsible for it. I think Holly Springs is going to extend Main Street from Ralph Stephens to Piney Grove Wilbon/Avent Ferry? (not sure what the status of that project is since I don't live out there)

Old 12-21-2016, 08:15 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:

The vehicle registration fee is higher ($15 vs $10) but Cary actually has the lowest tax rate (property) in Wake County.

http://www.wakegov.com/tax/taxratesf...xRates2016.pdf

Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
The vehicle registration fee is higher ($15 vs $10) but Cary actually has the lowest tax rate (property) in Wake County.

http://www.wakegov.com/tax/taxratesf...xRates2016.pdf
Go figure...I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary