Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:04 AM

163 posts, read 154,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderHome View Post
Bpobill -

Where do you live? Where did gigafiber just go live?
Gigapower [Fiber] - Mega List - Deployed/Being Deployed - AT&T U-verse | DSLReports Forums

This is a great place to keep up with where AT&T is digging now or has gone live. And if your neighborhood has Gigapower and isn't on the list, then please reply to the thread and let them know so they can keep it up to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM

26 posts, read 51,453 times
I went from TWC to ATT 1000 and loved every aspect of the change. Faster and more reliable (at least compared to *MY* TWC service). I've since downgraded to ATT 300 since I don't do anything that justified the additional speed of 1000. I may as well save $20 a month.

Hardwired, I was getting 900+ up and down with the 1000 service, now I am getting 375 or so up and down with the 300 service. Over wifi it's much, much slower. Using the 5GHz band was faster than 2.4GHz. I hardwire everything that has an ethernet port.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Based on that link above ATT Gigapower seems to be inching ever closer to my neighborhood....maybe that's them working in the next neighborhood over and not Google Fiber.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:34 AM

141 posts, read 162,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Hahaha people are so judgmental and clueless. Where did you hear that, from your geek squad guy? "You don't need..." - hilarious! Come on!

Love ATT, it's been awesome. Rock solid. Damn near perfect really. Perhaps could have better 5g range, but I mean....ridiculous minor gripe. It's solid.
Well excuuuuuse me, I actually have a degree in Information Technology, so I actually know what I'm talking about. Most normal people don't need fiber Internet. As far as 4k video taking an hour to upload 2 minutes of, unless you're trying to broadcast 4k in real-time or you need to upload five 4k videos simultaneously, believe me, you don't NEED fiber Internet. The only reason most people are getting fiber Internet is because they can, not because they actually need it. Most people don't need to spend money all all this extra bandwidth they won't use...

Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
Well excuuuuuse me, I actually have a degree in Information Technology, so I actually know what I'm talking about. Most normal people don't need fiber Internet. As far as 4k video taking an hour to upload 2 minutes of, unless you're trying to broadcast 4k in real-time or you need to upload five 4k videos simultaneously, believe me, you don't NEED fiber Internet. The only reason most people are getting fiber Internet is because they can, not because they actually need it. Most people don't need to spend money all all this extra bandwidth they won't use...
Quote:
I doubt you "need" increased bandwidth at your home right now. We have the 50 Mbps plan from Time Warner and it works fine for everything. The reason we're eventually switching to Google Fiber is that they charge the same price we pay for Time Warner but Google gives you more bandwidth. Wait for Google...
Hahaha because you have a degree does not = qualified, first fallacy. Second fallacy would be that because you have a degree in IT, you are an expert in networking specifically, and home networking even more specifically. Which again, a degree (or your specific field of study/profession, even if in networking) does not conclude. In the end you may be perfectly qualified, but still made a dumb statement. Thats not impossible, right? Finally, "most normal people" or "I doubt you need" - how can you doubt someone needs something without first even knowing what they need and why? Thats fundamentally the problem. Spouting generalities as if they apply to individuals.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:32 PM

141 posts, read 162,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Hahaha because you have a degree does not = qualified, first fallacy. Second fallacy would be that because you have a degree in IT, you are an expert in networking specifically, and home networking even more specifically. Which again, a degree (or your specific field of study/profession, even if in networking) does not conclude. In the end you may be perfectly qualified, but still made a dumb statement. Thats not impossible, right? Finally, "most normal people" or "I doubt you need" - how can you doubt someone needs something without first even knowing what they need and why? Thats fundamentally the problem. Spouting generalities as if they apply to individuals.
Like you have these qualifications? Believe me, I can and WILL make these generalizations, because they're true and there's no evidence against them . Just trying to save the OP some money. Now if people WANT a better internet service, that I have no problem with. Need? Some people yeah, but not most people. It's not like we're still stuck on 1990s dial-up internet.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Like you have these qualifications? Believe me, I can and WILL make these generalizations, because they're true and there's no evidence against them . Just trying to save the OP some money. Now if people WANT a better internet service, that I have no problem with. Need? Some people yeah, but not most people. It's not like we're still stuck on 1990s dial-up internet.
Yeah you don't necessarily "need" fiber - I have 12 Mbps with AT&T and it works out fine for what I use it for (and I do stream a bunch of stuff). Now Google Fiber/Gigapower would be a much better value but it's not available where I live yet so I'll live with what I have now.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you are harping on this. Last week I uploaded two 4k videos on different days. The videos were under 1:30 and it took about an hour to upload each one with TWC 200/15 plan over wifi (speedtest confirms my speeds I pay for) Have you recently done the same as me, or are you just speaking hypothetically?

I pay $65 a month for TWC internet and I own my own modem. ATT fiber is $80 a month plus some small fees. For $15-20 extra a month i'm increasing my download by 5x, and upload by 66x. With fiber I might look into cutting the cord so then I would actually spend less per month.

Here's a question for owners. My home is not hardwired for ethernet. Will ATT run a line for a desktop for me? I plan to put my modem/router in the center of my home where TWC currently is, and I have an iMac in another room that I would like to hardwire. I don't want them to drill in my floors though since I have wood. They can run wiring from my entertainment center to the crawl space, and would like the ethernet to be run in the wall in that room.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
It's not like we're still stuck on 1990s dial-up internet.
Well it feels like that in my house a lot of the time. So fiber it will be, as soon as we can get it.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I'm not sure why you are harping on this. Last week I uploaded two 4k videos on different days. The videos were under 1:30 and it took about an hour to upload each one with TWC 200/15 plan over wifi (speedtest confirms my speeds I pay for) Have you recently done the same as me, or are you just speaking hypothetically?

I pay $65 a month for TWC internet and I own my own modem. ATT fiber is $80 a month plus some small fees. For $15-20 extra a month i'm increasing my download by 5x, and upload by 66x. With fiber I might look into cutting the cord so then I would actually spend less per month.

Here's a question for owners. My home is not hardwired for ethernet. Will ATT run a line for a desktop for me? I plan to put my modem/router in the center of my home where TWC currently is, and I have an iMac in another room that I would like to hardwire. I don't want them to drill in my floors though since I have wood. They can run wiring from my entertainment center to the crawl space, and would like the ethernet to be run in the wall in that room.
I'm hardwired with CAT 6. ATT doesn't use coax, so he would have to run a cable to the desired point.
The tech used my cables, except for the second TV. He installed a wireless transmitter/receiver for it because there was no cable and he was running out of time. It is an upcharge for wireless, but he said he has the discretion to install one at no charge.
I have an unused cable that I will deploy there and go wired at some point.

I don't think he was eager to run a cable, though. I suspect that your tech will want to establish a convenient place for the wifi and make it work.
You may need to buy a wifi card for your desktop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: