Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
The contract is only a year, and the etf is $150 prorated per month so it's not bad at all.

That's good for you. I'm uploading 4k video to youtube, and a 2 minute video took close to an hour to upload. I'm on the 200/15 plan and the upload is garbage. Even with 200mbps down I get quite a bit of loading with 4k videos. Speedtest shows I get 200-230 almost every time too. So yes I do need more bandwith, especially upload.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will sign up and keep TW for a couple weeks in case there are issues.
I would think 4k would upload faster than that on a 200/15 plan.

I am able to stream 4K without issue from Netfliz/Youtube/Amazon on my TWC 50/5 service where the TV is getting 20mb download speeds (measured in Netflix app).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 PM

26 posts, read 31,467 times
I swapped to Gigapower from TWC recently (got tired of waiting for Google Fiber) since the monthly charges were pretty close ($10 difference/month), wired connection I am averaging over 900 Mbps upload/download while wireless is really dependent on the device capabilities.

The residential gateway/modem that they give you (Arris/Pace 5268AC) is somewhat outdated (released in 2014) and not to my liking, loading the GUI is painfully slow, wireless range is not as good as my previous NightHawk X6 that I was using with TWC and it does not have QoS built-in. They also give you a 2.4Ghz AP for the wireless TV receivers, I decided to bypass that and connect the TV receivers to the 5268AC directly and have one less device sitting in the closet.

If there is anything that I would like changed it would be the residential gateway, typical for a service provider to stick with something that has been working for as long as they can in order to keep their costs down but I've never owned a router that didn't have QoS until now.

Overall I am happy with the service to date, once in a while the wireless TV receivers will freeze while watching live TV if someone else in the house is doing downloads/streaming but I attribute that issue to the lack of QoS on the residential gateway.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I would think 4k would upload faster than that on a 200/15 plan.

I am able to stream 4K without issue from Netfliz/Youtube/Amazon on my TWC 50/5 service where the TV is getting 20mb download speeds (measured in Netflix app).
In the last week I've uploaded two 4k videos and both were that slow. Since ATT have removed data caps and packet inspection I can't see a reason to stay on twc any longer. I was holding out for Google but now there isn't much of a difference between them anymore. Install is next week so well see how it goes.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
Hahaha people are so judgmental and clueless. Where did you hear that, from your geek squad guy? "You don't need..." - hilarious! Come on!

Love ATT, it's been awesome. Rock solid. Damn near perfect really. Perhaps could have better 5g range, but I mean....ridiculous minor gripe. It's solid.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 PM

57 posts, read 70,292 times
Bpobill -

Where do you live? Where did gigafiber just go live?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:04 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderHome View Post
Bpobill -

Where do you live? Where did gigafiber just go live?
North Raleigh. My neighborhood was dug up in February 2016.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:08 AM

91 posts, read 78,612 times
We had TWC with 300 mbps, TV and phone, final total cost was $154. monthly. They volunteered to reduce $20 if we stay with them after contract expired. Hoping we can get better deal with ATT, Dec 2016 we switched to ATT Fiber. We pay $125.00 total with 500 mbps, basic TV. What do we think? We wished we should have taken the deal from TWC and stay with them. Internet from ATT is fine but the TV channels are not so great: 25% of the channels are sell, the rest of the channels are junk. TWC gives you much better deal if watching TV channels is important but you only get one device, must pay extra money if you want to second tv. ATT fiber gives you 4 TV devices for 4 rooms (standard). So, if we want to have the same tv channels we had with TWC, we will pay about $10.00 more. Conclusion, TWC and ATT fiber are the same. IT is depending on what important to you: internet and/or TV channels. It is not about how many tv channels can you have, it is about what channels they give you. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:34 AM

TWC and ATT Fiber are NOT the same. Come on. Maybe for your purposes if you're just using basic basic basic internet, but state that then.

ATT is faster - noticably...streaming is way better, apps on tv more stable, etc.
ATT has better equipment, negating the need for an aftermarket router in many cases
ATT offers both 5ghz and 2.4ghz
ATT offers much more control and visibility over usage (not quite eero/luma but for OOTB, solid)
ATT has yet to go out like TWC would
One reset in many months vs a required weekly reset w TWC

Internet by these 2 providers are night and day different. I'm comparing TWCs absolute best package to ATT.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
I don't use the AT&T standard wireless setup. I have it going to my own router and using that instead of the "combo" box that comes with it.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM

I was going to do the same, but the combo "box" it came with magically covered my property more effectively than any router on the market, including mesh. Was an awesomely pleasant surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: