Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 PM

286 posts, read 994,661 times

Advertisements

Anyone know some decent apartments? I'm coming to durham soon and I need a list of apartments to check out.

Hawks Nest duplexes looks nice. Its on sandy creek drive, just off of pickett rd. Can you tell me anything about that area?

There's already many posts about the good neghborhoods in durham but i've had a hard time figuring out how that can be translated into a list of apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
I would highly recommend my apartment, Alexan Place at South Square. It's quiet here, two awesome pools, great gym, mostly young professionals and Duke students. The location is the best, right around the corner from Target. Honestly, I really have enjoyed living there.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 AM

107 posts, read 425,458 times
Default durham apartments

Similar to the person who also replied. I used to live at Alexan Farms (2002-2005). It was very close to and managed by the same people who manage Alexan place and I really enjoyed living there as well. The place was well maintained. The manager even changed a flat tire for me (He offered!) I also agree that the south square area was a nice location and very convenient to shopping of all types.
By the way- we were able to negotiate our rent and we didn't pay a security deposit. That's actually how we chose Alexan Farms over Alexan Place (they had the exact same floor plans). Alexan Farms gave us a better deal.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:24 AM

72 posts, read 294,198 times
There are a number of apartment complexes on University Drive in South Square that I would recommend. Alexan Place at South Square is probably the nicest out of this group. Pinnacle Ridge in the South Square area is nice as well. Lenox at Patterson Place is worth checking out. The newer apartment complexes near the Southpoint mall are very nice as well. These are all located in South Durham.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:52 AM

29 posts, read 121,133 times
How much money do you want to pay for rent?

I'm actually moving to Colonial Village at Woodlake. It's in the Southpoint area. The only negative thing that I can forsee is that according to the Durham Police website, there have been several car break-ins within the last year. The worst for me will be a broken window if it happens as I never keep anything worthwile in my car. My radio would also be hard to get out, so hopefully I won't be a target. I'm getting a 2 bed 2 bath (1044 sq ft) apartment, with w/d and standard cable for 765/month.

Of course there are nicer places and there are "uglier" places. I personally don't want to spend more than what my rent is. Do you plan on saving money to eventually buy a house? This may be something you want to think about as well.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:41 AM

I dont really want to pay any more than what you're paying at colonial village. I could.....my wife and I are both young professionals. But we also have the student loans that go along with that. Eventually i'd like a house but not in the near future.

A few car break-ins in a year is nothing i would stress about, as long as i'd feel comfortable about my wife coming into the complex alone at night. I dont really care for it when there's groups of people hanging out in the parking lots.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM

There's also a colonial village at deerfield. That one looks like its close to duke. Pretty good area right?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 PM

I actually looked at Deerfield. It's slightly more $$, but you're in the middle of Duke Forest... lots of trees...hiking trails.. it's also a quiet area. I forget how close shopping is, but I know it's a few minutes to get to the grocery store. The apartment plans are a little different. I didn't choose this property partly because I wanted to be closer to I-40. I'm also going to be working at UNC. If you're working at Duke, this could be a nice place for you. Check it out when you visit.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:50 PM

.. I also know about the student loan issue... My finances could be better. I would rather pay less in rent, but I also don't want to live in a "bad" area. There were some townhomes I looked at (can't remember where) and was interested in the place until I saw people hanging out in groups of about 6-7 people. I didn't feel too safe. I could be wrong, but I didn't get a good vibe. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,726,772 times
One of my co-workers when he moved here about 1.5 yrs ago lived at Colonial Village. He seemed to like it. You may want to check out some of the properties owned by Ticon Properties. They have townhomes for rent and apts. I've been renting one of their townhomes at Glenbrook for the past year and I really like the area and my place. I'm very close to Chapel Hill and I'm in SW Durham in the Hope Valley area with plenty of grocery stores around. It's very quite around here. Sometimes at night when I get home from the gym, I see deers across the street in the yard of the people that live there. I guess people feel pretty safe around here b/c I've seen girls out jogging at 5:30am. Check out Ticon's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary