Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:53 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,873,424 times

Advertisements

Better and more disincentives to texting, tailgating and not signalling would lessen bad driving. Nothing stops 'all' of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
A police salary in NC isn't $70,000, but it costs a lot more than the just the salary to put a policeman or woman on the street...payroll taxes, insurance, pension, uniforms, cars, weapons, training, etc. It adds up.
Many sheriffs in many smaller towns in NC only make around #25,000 a year.

Even in Atlanta, cops probably earn around $40-45k per year.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:25 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
How about someone introduce a state-supported defensive driving school for adults with discounts on registration fees or insurance?

In Germany no one is committing the most-cited bad habits of our drivers over here.

Left lane- dawdling, driving too slow, etc. isn't tolerated on the autobahn and all drivers are trained to not behave in these ways.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:47 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,013,515 times
I don't believe education classes would do anything. People don't care. I would bet most of them know how to drive properly, they just don't care to if it doesn't suit them.

Where we are from in MA, there was routinely a state trooper on the highways (and police on town roads) read to ticket, and we didn't have the abuse I've seen on the roads in other states that don't do that.

Given that funding such a thing is a concern, what about cameras that capture incidents? Wouldn't solve all the problems, because I think a large majority of accidents are caused by people texting while driving, but might cut down a bit. There do need to be tougher laws AND enforcement regarding phone use while driving.

A young girl almost crashed into us at a round-a-bout yesterday, and then we encountered her a few minutes later on the highway - weaving all over the place. At one point we were next to her and could see she was texting, not even looking at the road. It's a real problem, and a big cause of a lot of accidents, some fatal.

Just MHO, but I don't think anything changes with drivers unless you hit them where it hurts - really high fines and stiff penalties (loss of license after so many incidents). But you've got to have legislature that backs up that sort of thing, and doesn't sound like they are on board.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:57 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,197 times
Well, the cell carriers could be given an alternative of setting up software to disable the option if the phone were in motion.

If this was not voluntarily done, the FCC could require the text service to be eliminated.

Not much chance with the money mongers running our corporate economy and the government agencies that are in bed with them.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:58 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Well, the cell carriers could be given an alternative of setting up software to disable the option if the phone were in motion.
While a great idea, you would have a hard time distinguishing if someone was driving or if they were a passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Given that funding such a thing is a concern, what about cameras that capture incidents? Wouldn't solve all the problems, because I think a large majority of accidents are caused by people texting while driving, but might cut down a bit. There do need to be tougher laws AND enforcement regarding phone use while driving.
Given the backlash to red light cameras, I doubt this would be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Better and more disincentives to texting, tailgating and not signalling would lessen bad driving. Nothing stops 'all' of it.
When I was in college, I was once pulled over in Kings Mountain for "following too closely" while driving back from Christmas break from Charlotte to Clemson. But I'm in the minority probably for that one haha (and I just got a warning)

Old 11-19-2017, 06:09 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,582 times
No. There’s plenty.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:13 AM

346 posts, read 339,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
no. There’s plenty.
+1

Old 11-19-2017, 07:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
I’d like for law enforcement to focus on serious crimes.
All for that What is needed is an army of trained auxiliary police officers to handle all the moving violations throughout the Triangle...lots of Barney Fife's out there handing out traffic tickets

Old 11-19-2017, 08:05 AM

888 posts, read 806,446 times
Hitting the brakes when nobody's in front of you for several car lengths is annoying. If you're flirting with the speed limit the police won't be eyeing you. Also the people who leave their signals on after they switch lanes. I have to switch it back as I hate the clicking sound, but isn't there also an arrow flashing in the car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary