Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 AM

360 posts, read 721,543 times

Advertisements

One thing that drives me nuts is the people that drive with their high beams on right behind you for no reason. I also hate those newer headlamps that are ultra bright even not on high beam. Those can blind someone and cause an accident IMO. People driving way below the speed limit without any apparent reason irk me too. My home state has minimum speed on roads, which I'd love to see in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 11:19 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,686 times
This is a rather complex issue that IMHO can't be remedied by just placing police everywhere and ticketing everyone. Is there a single person on this forum who abides by traffic law 100%? In this case you're probably that left line camper that annoys the heck out of everyone.

As several people noted, there are underlying problems, e.g. why do so many people have to drive? There is no public transit. The large IT employers force people to come to the ofice daily. Why? We have high speed Internet and VPN.

Then there is quality of road management. The Hwy 1 / 40 intersection can turn anyone into a mad person. (I'm surprised there are no accidents hourly.) Many traffic lights are timed very badly. The lane marks are barely visible in the rain.

I'm hoping technology can help us some too, as old cars are replaced with the newer models that offer more safety features. Hands-on texting really should've been already done away with since Siri and bluetooth came around. Perhaps some education and campaigns like giving away free bluetooth pieces could help.

While I don't disagree that traffic law needs to be enforced, I believe it may not be the best method to achieve long term behavior change. Hopefully, self-driving cars will eventually take all the human drama out of equation and we'll have much more efficient traffic.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:28 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
While a great idea, you would have a hard time distinguishing if someone was driving or if they were a passenger.

Given the backlash to red light cameras, I doubt this would be successful.

When I was in college, I was once pulled over in Kings Mountain for "following too closely" while driving back from Christmas break from Charlotte to Clemson. But I'm in the minority probably for that one haha (and I just got a warning)
Where's the backlash for cameras coming from? People running the red lights?

Old 11-19-2017, 02:41 PM

150 posts, read 227,570 times
Red light cameras are run by for profit companies whose incentive it is to generate revenue. They have a history of reducing yellow lights shorter than normal and other practices to make sure they catch as many people as possible.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:58 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfkidd View Post
They have a history of reducing yellow lights shorter than normal and other practices to make sure they catch as many people as possible.
Which isn't true.....

but any camera discussion would likely have complaints attached it. Not to mention that people don't like the fact that Big Brother is watching.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:25 PM

360 posts, read 721,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Where's the backlash for cameras coming from? People running the red lights?
From the state legislature. They have proposed banning them numerous times.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM

346 posts, read 339,382 times
I do think as autonomous vehicles become the norm the human annoyances in this thread that people want police to put an end to should become a non issue. Are we talking 20 to 30 years from now? That, I don't know.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:13 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,593,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
I do think as autonomous vehicles become the norm the human annoyances in this thread that people want police to put an end to should become a non issue. Are we talking 20 to 30 years from now? That, I don't know.
It'll be interesting what happens in the transition period - with autonomous vehicles having to put up with mistake prone drivers (or if the autonomous vehicles make mistakes themselves)

Old 11-20-2017, 01:46 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Which isn't true.....
Some local governments have been known to install cameras even after being fully aware that the timing of yellow lights were dropping below federal guidelines beforehand. It was a problem they took advantage of. Here's a prime example:

City reaches $38.75 million settlement in red light ticket lawsuit - Chicago Tribune

Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,172 times
Quote:
Which isn't true.....
This is not accurate. I dont have first hand knowledge of lights in Raleigh, but this is absolutely true for other areas with red light cameras, no question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary