Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:18 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times

Advertisements

Just tossing this out there.

With the really casual approach drivers currently appear to have toward skilled driving and following traffic laws, would having more visible traffic enforcement make driving safer?

We talk about obvious things like inattentiveness, but I see so many drivers weaving within their lanes, not stopping before turning right (at signs and red lights), stopping partly in intersections, no turn signals, etc.

I am not talking about speeding, which is a separate issue perhaps, but all of the basics of good community driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Yes - in other states I commonly see cops out on the road. In NC, it's pretty rare to see them unless they're doing targeted traffic enforcement at a certain location.

Last edited by pierretong1991; 11-17-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
you assume we have an excess of officers on the police force that would be available for such duty.

when a particular intersection or stretch of road receives enough complaints, they will often put an officer there for several hours.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,505,314 times
Yes, that would be nice. It would be nice if there were some who were dedicated to finding people diddling on their phones. One thing I've noticed lately is people cutting across multiple lanes on the interstates at one time. Saw someone last Saturday go from the far left lane on I-40 to the Davis Dr exit lane in one turn of the wheel and no blinker at all.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you assume we have an excess of officers on the police force that would be available for such duty.
Sorry but you are assuming that I assume Actually we may need to hire more officers who are both understanding and observant who could ease us into better compliance.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
I think it does help. One thing I have seen them do from time to time is just park a police car by the side of a busy road to deter speeders and leave it unoccupied or maybe with a dummy in it. It does slow folks down a bit and I think could help people be more conscious of their driving in general.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:52 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think it does help. One thing I have seen them do from time to time is just park a police car by the side of a busy road to deter speeders and leave it unoccupied or maybe with a dummy in it. It does slow folks down a bit and I think could help people be more conscious of their driving in general.
This may reduce speeding on those specific roads but it doesn't help at all with the people who think it's OK to turn right into an entrance from the left-hand lane; believe they have the right of way turning left at a green-light regardless of through traffic, You can't fix stupid.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:55 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Maybe there should be mandatory driver's education classes every few years to get your license renewed, or additional testing to renew your license.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:00 AM

360 posts, read 721,687 times
Before they can even consider that, they need to get their own act together. I see cops all the time doing many of the things described here. I've even seen some put their lights in to go through red lights and then promptly turn them off when they get past it. Cops that I personally know don't bother with these things because many don't carry fines, points against your license, or even warnings if no accident occurs. They'd rather spend their time responding to crimes and incidents in which people could be in danger. I'm not saying I disagree that something should be done, but don't think that just having cops on the road just to intimidate people into following traffic rules is a solution.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:03 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Maybe NC needs laws regarding cell phone usage in vehicles. I see more people here than anywhere else with their heads down looking/messing at/with their phones. And that is not just at lights, it is driving down roads and freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary