Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
It saves money to build in Austin instead of some other place, given the current size of the Austin site and workforce.
No it doesn't. Its a totally separate building on a totally separate site a mile from their existing facility. There's no cost savings whatsoever.

Quote:
So, it sort of is about money... and also about the labor pool.
I agree its partially about the labor pool...glad you're finally getting on board with the real reasons. The Triangle needs to figure out how to attract that labor force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 07:17 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
RTP has great skin. Now it just needs the bones of mass transit. I visit the area multiple times per year. That's where my wife's family lives. The area is so spread out. It feels like one big suburb. Build transit out from the Raliegh city center. Then invest in Transit Oriented Development around each station.

Don't just do spokes first like DC. Out Beltway is jammed because there is no circular mode of mass transit connecting all the spokes. I'd do one north-south line and an east-west line and then start connecting those spokes.

That will take decades, unfortunately. RTP may not have decades as other cities have mature transit systems already in place.

Rapid Bus Transit could be done in a short period of time.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 PM

360 posts, read 400,135 times
I’m just wondering whether the talk of Apple coming here was ever real. If that’s the case then whoever cam up with the fiction of south RTP campus and temp space on Weston Pkwy has some really good imagination.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:37 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
It was real. Obviously not as real as some wanted it to be and presented it, but there were definitely negotiations and plans being discussed.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:13 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Combine Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill into one. Then we will have all the things.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 PM

360 posts, read 400,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It was real. Obviously not as real as some wanted it to be and presented it, but there were definitely negotiations and plans being discussed.
So the politicians screwed it up?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
No it doesn't. Its a totally separate building on a totally separate site a mile from their existing facility. There's no cost savings whatsoever.

I agree its partially about the labor pool...glad you're finally getting on board with the real reasons. The Triangle needs to figure out how to attract that labor force.
If you intend to stick to the notion that there was no cost savings to be had by Apple in this scenario, you and I have nothing left to discuss on this topic.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
If you intend to stick to the notion that there was no cost savings to be had by Apple in this scenario, you and I have nothing left to discuss on this topic.
I guess I don't understand what cost savings you're referring to. Can you explain exactly what cost savings could occur in Austin, given that Apple is building a new building on a new site there? What is the difference between that and constructing a new building on a new site in another city? Contractors aren't to charge less to build a building in Austin because Apple already has a building there. Are there other significant cost savings besides those related to the purchase of land and construction of a building that Apple would realize in Austin versus another city? I can't think of what they would be...

Old 12-15-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
RTP has great skin. Now it just needs the bones of mass transit. I visit the area multiple times per year. That's where my wife's family lives. The area is so spread out. It feels like one big suburb. Build transit out from the Raliegh city center. Then invest in Transit Oriented Development around each station.

Don't just do spokes first like DC. Out Beltway is jammed because there is no circular mode of mass transit connecting all the spokes. I'd do one north-south line and an east-west line and then start connecting those spokes.

That will take decades, unfortunately. RTP may not have decades as other cities have mature transit systems already in place.
Yes is very true. Unfortunately, it also will take a state government willing to participate financially in that, and right now, NC isn't.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:50 AM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
According to this article, Apple is going to be just as sprawled out in the Austin suburbs as is would have been here in RTP.

All about talent, talent, talent. What talent does Apple already have there (quite a bit apparently -7000K), what talent is already there working for other companies that Apple might be able to tap into (a bunch...Dell etc), what potential is there to draw more talent (from world).

Talent likes to be around other talent -the companies and the talent themselves prefer this. It takes talent to draw more talent. So, how you get to that "threshhold"? Eventually an area/region reaches escape velocity and it just feeds on itself drawing more without even really trying; hence, the rich getting richer theme of the article.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...valley/578122/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary