Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,694,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The jobs that went to other cities may have been already slated for those regardless. I cannot see why Apple is supposed to give us a "consolation prize" in the way of something they never had in mind for us to begin with.
That's a good point. Each of the other cities offer unique skill sets in technology that are different than the infrastructure heavy tech workforce in the Triangle. They may have been planning to go to the other 6 cities regardless like you said.

San Diego has the mobile chip and mobile app workforce and they can easily poach talent from Qualcomm
Seattle with the strong web development, PC, UX, online shopping tech talent (poach from Microsoft, Amazon, Expedia, eBay, etc...)
Culver City with the strong workforce in media / Hollywood (for growing Apple TV, Digital Content)

The Triangle's major tech employers like IBM, SAS, and Cisco are more enterprise and back-end focused, while the other cities are more focused on consumer technology / experience / mobile phones. It makes sense strategically to want to have a presence in those cities for the niche they occupy in consumer technology where Apple mainly plays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
No. That's not what I was talking about at all. I was referring to the site of the existing campus and proximity to the existing Apple infrastructure. I have no doubt Austin offered SOMETHING when they originally came to Austin and that they offered more to expand and that little bit, combined with the desirability of an expansion, rather than setting down substantial roots in an unknown area, is why they went with Austin.

I know it because it's common sense and because, frankly, Apple was never doing this based on cash incentives in the first place.
Oh my. In an earlier post you said: "I think it was money."

Old 12-14-2018, 12:41 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
That I'm not sure about, but Apple does have a presence in NC.

I find it hard to believe that their whole corporate strategy was "college students fresh out and looking for work won't live in NC" or "they used to have some stupid bathroom bill so we're gonna psych them."

May well have been a case of "we may expand there later, but we were considering them for a large site project and now we want to wait and expand Austin first."

The jobs that went to other cities may have been already slated for those regardless. I cannot see why Apple is supposed to give us a "consolation prize" in the way of something they never had in mind for us to begin with.
It has nothing to do with a "consolation prize". Thats not how this works. These are hard business decisions and aren't made out of sympathy. You said: "If Austin didn't already have the large presence it does, there is every chance we would have gotten a campus here." If that was true, Apple certainly would have selected the Triangle for one of the other facilities they just announced for 6 other locations. But Apple didn't.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,100 times
Apple has a machine learning hub in Seattle, Culver City is where Beats headquarters and much of Apple's film studio efforts are already, and Apple's been beefing up in San Diego to poach from Qualcomm for a while now as they're working on their own cellular modem technology.

There's an Apple engineering hub in Portland drawing on Intel's expertise, Pittsburgh has long been an Apple software and AI hub partly drawing from Carnegie Mellon, and New York is of course where a lot of Apple's media/books expertise has been located.

Nearly all of the announced sites are expansions of existing hubs. It was going to have to be a leap to land here, but it seemed like a decent shot given the ties of Apple's senior execs to the area.

Would be hilarious if the leaks to WRAL did play a role in the decision.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
NC is not a predominately blue. This is the state of Jesse Helms and since I’ve been here has voted just 1 time for a Dem in a presidential election. I hope we can avoid bills like HB2 as they draw negative headlines to the state. Not sure if it factored in Apple’s decision, but it certainly didn’t help.
If being a conservative state was a factor... then it does not explain Texas. I don't think it mattered at all.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Seattle wanted to enact a small tax to help combat homelessness and Amazon threw a fit and started this whole HQ2 thing to begin with. Companies pretend to appear liberal but their actions speak a lot louder than words - the only reason some relocate to blue areas is due to yuge tax incentives like Boeing got for moving to Chicago.

Otherwise look at the migration patterns - many have relocated operations from the northern blue to the southern red states.

$$$$$$

Old 12-14-2018, 03:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Seattle wanted to enact a small tax to help combat homelessness and Amazon threw a fit and started this whole HQ2 thing to begin with. Companies pretend to appear liberal but their actions speak a lot louder than words - the only reason some relocate to blue areas is due to yuge tax incentives like Boeing got for moving to Chicago.

Otherwise look at the migration patterns - many have relocated operations from the northern blue to the southern red states.

$$$$$$
Yup. We all know what it comes down to at the end of the day. They put on a good front to impress the latest and greatest demographic though.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Oh my. In an earlier post you said: "I think it was money."
It saves money to build in Austin instead of some other place, given the current size of the Austin site and workforce.

So, it sort of is about money... and also about the labor pool.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Apple has a machine learning hub in Seattle, Culver City is where Beats headquarters and much of Apple's film studio efforts are already, and Apple's been beefing up in San Diego to poach from Qualcomm for a while now as they're working on their own cellular modem technology.

There's an Apple engineering hub in Portland drawing on Intel's expertise, Pittsburgh has long been an Apple software and AI hub partly drawing from Carnegie Mellon, and New York is of course where a lot of Apple's media/books expertise has been located.

Nearly all of the announced sites are expansions of existing hubs. It was going to have to be a leap to land here, but it seemed like a decent shot given the ties of Apple's senior execs to the area.

Would be hilarious if the leaks to WRAL did play a role in the decision.
Agreed. Thanks for posting this. I have been working all day and all the jumping to conclusions about stuff that didn't factor in was something I meant to bring up by way of the expansions and sites already targeted for them, etc.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
If being a conservative state was a factor... then it does not explain Texas. I don't think it mattered at all.
It didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary