Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 01:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Wegman's is less expensive than Harris Teeter. Is it less expensive than Publix? I don't find Publix to be "cheap" but I do like them better than Harris Teeter.

I'll definitely head over to Wegman's, maybe sometime this week but I would not stand in line, just to take a peek!

There was also a line (according to what I've heard and read) when Trader Joe's first opened, Publix first opened, Chubby Taco's first opened and I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten.

Maybe y'all find it fun to stand in line for the first to shop? I don't get it and I wouldn't get out in the dark to wait either!!! My sleep is way more important to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:08 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I feel like people really are just riding the nostalgia train with their emotions on this stuff. People were saying a lot of the same things when Publix opened in this area. Heck Publix employees always treat us nice when we shop there. The one over in Apex is super friendly, staff goes beyond to help when I've had problems, and even offer to pack everything into my car.

So I really don't get it sorry. It's just another grocery store, just absurdly larger. That's just my opinion.
I'm with you on this one. Yes, Wegmans is a very nice grocery store. Back in 2004 when one opened in Sterling, VA it was a big deal. At that time, grocery stores were just for grocery shopping, not a destination. The idea of going to one to eat a meal was a novelty. Did I enjoy the large prepared food section a couple of times? Sure. Did it rock my grocery shopping world? No. I still went to the Giant near my house.

Fast forward 15 years and we have all sorts of grocery store "experiences" to choose from - beer and wine while shopping, wine bars, sushi bars, hot bars, pizza by the slice, etc. And honestly the idea that they treat their employees well isn't a big differentiation now either. We have SO many grocery store to choose from now it really kind of crazy.

Not to rain on anyone's parade - if your North Carolina Wegmans dreams came true today, I hope you can go to the store soon and celebrate. :-)

Old 09-29-2019, 01:39 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'm with you on this one. Yes, Wegmans is a very nice grocery store. Back in 2004 when one opened in Sterling, VA it was a big deal. At that time, grocery stores were just for grocery shopping, not a destination. The idea of going to one to eat a meal was a novelty. Did I enjoy the large prepared food section a couple of times? Sure. Did it rock my grocery shopping world? No. I still went to the Giant near my house.

Fast forward 15 years and we have all sorts of grocery store "experiences" to choose from - beer and wine while shopping, wine bars, sushi bars, hot bars, pizza by the slice, etc. And honestly the idea that they treat their employees well isn't a big differentiation now either. We have SO many grocery store to choose from now it really kind of crazy.

Not to rain on anyone's parade - if your North Carolina Wegmans dreams came true today, I hope you can go to the store soon and celebrate. :-)
Giant? Oh my gosh, no!

Old 09-29-2019, 02:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
When I was on a long business trip in Florida a few years ago, Publix reminded me a lot of Wegmans. I liked shopping there.

As far as prices, Wegmans was never known as low priced. It would always have its weekly specials, and it would offer "loss leaders" on products everyone bought, such as milk and bread. Now -- I am not sure what they offer outside of the weekly specials.

I just discovered a new website called WellRX (free membership), and you can search an compare the discounted prices of medicine and some pharmacy products available with their free membership card or coupon. The discounted products cost SUBSTANTIALLY MORE at Walgreens and Costco than at Harris Teeter or CVS, and discounts were available only at selected Harris Teeters or CVS's. (If you try it, look up Tums.)

Just for fun, I searched for the same items using a Rochester area location, and Wegmans prices were the same as Costco (with the WellRX membership card or coupon). So I may not be using the Wegmans pharmacy.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:06 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Does Wegman's have something to offer other than courteous/happy employees? I'm not saying this is not important, but Publix is big on this also and going there really shows this. Costco also treats their customers nicely.

From what I've heard, Wegman's food selection, fresh food, bakeries etc have selections that you can't get elsehwere. Such as getting something to eat for dinner that same night, right?

Also, adInc07 is correct - it's so nice to have so many food experiences to choose from in this area. Hope we all are eating a little healthier because of it.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:14 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
From what I've heard, Wegman's food selection, fresh food, bakeries etc have selections that you can't get elsehwere. Such as getting something to eat for dinner that same night, right?
The prepared food and top notch bakery/meats department/produce section etc. are the big draw. Case in point, the new Wegmans that opened today has 475 employees with 120 of those on the culinary staff!

How many grocery stores do you know, not named Wegmans, have 120 people on their culinary staff, heck, how many grocery stores even have 120 people working there total?

The Wegmans stores in the Triangle, whatever the total will be 4, 5, 6, or more will probably be some of the most profitable ones in the chain. They are going to be making money hand over fist for a very, very long time there and I'm not even a fan of the brand.

Last edited by cjseliga; 09-29-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 1,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
So I may not be using the Wegmans pharmacy.
The Raleigh Wegmans doesn't have a pharmacy.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:37 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times
Anyone there now and can advise on crowds/traffic?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:41 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Giant? Oh my gosh, no!
Right?! No thanks!!!

Old 09-29-2019, 02:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
I don't understand the "gotta be first" mentality at all - it's everywhere.

It's a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary