Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 11:58 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
My point is that even people from China might say a restaurant’s food isn’t “right” because it’s from a different region. I’m married to an immigrant who never likes restaurant food from his country (traditional items) because of regional variations.
I get what you're saying. It's like saying "American BBQ". Everyone knows there are only two kinds of Authentic BBQ. Eastern and Western NC.

@Zitsky, I've not been since pre-pandemic, but Grand Asia in Cary used to have beef and bitter melon on their cafeteria buffet. Not sure where you are located, but maybe it's closer proximity to you for takeout.

(China365 on Kildaire used to have it too, but they are long-gone....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 01:45 PM

643 posts, read 353,536 times
^ I guess you mean The 35 restaurant. Now they transform themselves into G. 58.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:58 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,453,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Just curious but why do people think Google/Yelp ratings of Chinese restaurants are usually on the low side compared to other asian restaurants like Japanese, Korean, Thai etc.... Is the food at chinese restaurants in the US really that bad? Or do people just don't have reasonable expectations of what to expect? Or is the service or restaurant experience just not up to par in comparison?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I have a somewhat biased opinion but my observations have been pretty consistent in that many people don't have a clue about things like Thai and Japanese and as a result so some patrons rate things higher, they are easily satisfied because they never had the real thing. Also very few of the Japanese restaurants in the US I've been in have any Japanese staff and as a result lack in authenticity.
I think that a lot of it has to do with what people expect vs what they get.

Example; I grew up eating a lot of Mexican food that was heavily Michoacan influenced since the immigrant population where I grew up drew heavily from there.

In NC, I really haven't had Mexican food like I had growing up. That doesn't mean that I haven't had plenty authentic Mexican food here. It doesn't mean it wasn't good. But it isn't the same, either.

"Authentic American Food" as experienced in Wisconsin is going to be different than it is as experienced in North Carolina and that's going to be different than as experienced in Dallas.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:28 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,260,115 times
How to the Chinese food take out places in strip malls influence the ratings? You know the places, photos of dishes up high above the cashier and giant paper menus to look through before you order the same thing again.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:39 AM

There will be a new hot pot spot opening in Mccrimmon Corner.

https://12-ji-hotpot.business.site/

Glad it's so close to me.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:33 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post

Thanks! Would like to try it.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,609,856 times
Quote:
^ I guess you mean The 35 restaurant. Now they transform themselves into G. 58.
OH! I LOVED that restaurant. This is also good to know.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:59 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,343,037 times
Quote:

are they the same owners as Flavors Kitchen a couple of doors down? if not, how can the landlord allow two Chinese competing restaurants in the same parcel?

Old 12-08-2021, 08:19 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
are they the same owners as Flavors Kitchen a couple of doors down? if not, how can the landlord allow two Chinese competing restaurants in the same parcel?
I don't know about the ownership, but I sure don't see them as competition to each other. Totally different menu and variety of "Chinese" food.

Sort of like having a Jewish deli a couple of doors down from a sub shop. They're both serving sandwiches, but. . .
(God, I dearly wish we had a good, real Jewish Deli.)

Old 12-08-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Actually there're three in the same shopping center, Flavors Kitchen, 12 Ji and Quickly. But they are totally different styles. Flavors Kitchen is traditional entrees-and-sides Chinese food. 12 Ji is self-ordering hot pot. Quickly is Taiwanese night market snacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary