Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:09 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, for those of you from PA, I've heard that Honesdale PA is rated as one of the best small towns in the country. Does anyone know if that's accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 16,427 times
I moved from Sacramento, CA around January this year. Things I miss: family. All my family is in CA so it can get quite lonely at times, but hopefully some will follow eventually. I used to say I miss the Mexican food, however I have found some great favorites here that are just as good if not better than what I had in Sacramento. I just had to do some research and try out a few places.

Things I love: The great weather! The humidity doesn’t bother me at all, and these summer temps have been a breeze to me. The 100+ degree dry heat actually feels worse for me but I know this is not the norm. I love the seasons I’ve experienced here so far! I’ve never been a fan of shorts/flip flops weather in thanksgiving, it just disappoints me.

I am outdoorsy and love nature so NC is wonderful for me. It’s absolutely gorgeous here and every weekend when I go on walks I’m blown away at the scenery. When I was in Sacramento, most of our rivers and lakes were polluted by homeless camps and trash.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:55 AM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Out of curiosity, for those of you from PA, I've heard that Honesdale PA is rated as one of the best small towns in the country. Does anyone know if that's accurate?

I lived in Honesdale as a child. Didn't want to move away.
But, I am a bit skeptical about that rating.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:20 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I've never been to Honesdale, as that was way north of where I grew up. But there are some great small towns in PA. Some that we are looking to move to near Philly are Media, Doylestown, Yardley, and New Hope.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:43 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Might be worth checking out first. My neighbors down here from the northeast act like they’re going to croak when the heat and humidity kick in
My wife from Eastern NC acts like that. I don't get it. She's also petrified of the possibility of snakes. Life is to be lived, no reason to fear the snakes or prevent yourself from acclimatizing to the heat. When I was in the midwest I bundled up and went out. Here I work on that base tan and resign myself to sweating. Showers at the end of the day make it all better.

I moved here from MN (originally from Illinois.) I miss the lakes/freshwater fishing. Bass fishing and crappie fishing doesn't cut it for me. I miss ice fishing. I miss walleye fishing. I miss the great lakes.

I miss certain little cultural things...Midwestern taverns, mostly. Like JKGourmet I'm not a fan of the Communist liquor stores.

Heat? Yeah, it's hot. It's a horse apiece most places you go, weather-wise. That's life.

Old 07-17-2020, 01:01 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,103 times
Being <2 hours away from Phuket or 4 from Bali

Old 07-17-2020, 01:12 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Being <2 hours away from Phuket or 4 from Bali
Ohhhh Bali.....wanted to get married there, but wife wont do plane rides over water (hence why I haven't taken her there even still).

Was born in Cincinnati, moved to MA when I was 8. Left MA for Indonesia when I was 11. Came back to MA for college. Met my wife in RI playing Coed Softball. Moved to Raleigh from MA 3 years ago.

MA was never home, and other than Autumn in New England, I miss nothing about it.

I remember very little of Cincinnati, I didn't eat Skyline until long after I left.

If someone were to ask me what I consider my "home town" I would say Jakarta, even though I wasn't born there, nor am I Indonesian by citizenship. It had as much impact on my life as any other event has, and I label it as such. I miss the food, the people, the great places of natural beauty and history the country offered (Bali, Yogyakarta to name a couple) and the ability to be in in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia in eight hours or less.

Home is quite literally where ever I am. Wake Forest for now (and maybe the foreseeable future).

Old 07-17-2020, 07:42 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,103 times
We're both nomads, and while I can acclimate better than most, I'm kind of the opposite - I don't know where home is anymore, haven't for a long time. Not sure I ever will.

I'm comfortable when I'm back where I grew up, but I don't want to be there for more than a visit since leaving there decades ago. I'm not even sure I really want to be in the US, been away too long and things like crime, a stunning lack of international sensibility and medical costs are among the factors for me.

I miss easier international travel, where other places are closer, and there are no TSA.

I can understand cross-oceanic flying fears, having flown the longest non-stop flight (18 hours) - as scary as those are polar routes over horizons worth of snowy mountainous wasteland, which always reminded me of air disaster movies.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:43 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My wife from Eastern NC acts like that. I don't get it. She's also petrified of the possibility of snakes. Life is to be lived, no reason to fear the snakes or prevent yourself from acclimatizing to the heat. When I was in the midwest I bundled up and went out. Here I work on that base tan and resign myself to sweating. Showers at the end of the day make it all better.

I moved here from MN (originally from Illinois.) I miss the lakes/freshwater fishing. Bass fishing and crappie fishing doesn't cut it for me. I miss ice fishing. I miss walleye fishing. I miss the great lakes.

I miss certain little cultural things...Midwestern taverns, mostly. Like JKGourmet I'm not a fan of the Communist liquor stores.

Heat? Yeah, it's hot. It's a horse apiece most places you go, weather-wise. That's life.
I hear you

Old 07-18-2020, 04:46 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Well, I moved away but what I miss about Raleigh is Optimist Pool, North Hills Target, Franks Pizza and Char-Grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary