Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 11:48 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,837,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
People are a lot friendlier here, including transplants (guess the Southern hospitality has rubbed off) and willing to help as opposed to back in NEPA where people are guarded and skeptical to new people moving in, even for people who lived there their whole lives. Not everyone but a lot.
Nice to hear about the friendliness in the triangle area. I have never experienced people being guarded or skeptical in SE MI, but it's a place full of transplants, so that might be the difference. It also might depend on what parts of various states we are discussing.

When I moved to Maine (Portland) a few years ago, locals were not particularly friendly ("You're not from here, are you...?) LOL Other transplants were much nicer. I stayed two years and returned to SE MI due to very harsh winters, though the scenery and ocean were beautiful in Maine. But I'm ready now to move to a milder climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 01:21 PM

43,449 posts, read 77,419,338 times
Quote:
I was born in Susquehanna too. Barnes-Kasson Hospital. Don't think anything has changed much there since. . I am from Herrick Township, with a Uniondale mailing address. There was also a "Village of Dimock Corners" sign before you got to my house. So, I had 3 addresses that I could go by. Closest town to buy groceries is Forest City and the store is Zazzeras Supermarket. For more variety, there is Weis Market in Carbondale but where I went each week was Aldi, Walmart SuperCenter and Wegman's in Dickson City, which was a good 40-45 minutes away. Amazed there is a store in every direction here.

The area is very beautiful but as my neighbor said, "After you look at it, what do you do with it?" Not being close to a hospital and with only state police to cover us (only two troopers on at night to cover all of Susquehanna County, which is big square footage-wise), also add to the reason to leave. There was an incident at a restaurant a little over two years ago not too far from me in which a man had a gun and was threatening people. It took two hours for the state police to show up. Now that is scary.. Luckily, no one was hurt or killed.

It is a month today that I moved down here, so NEPA is still home. But, I read that after awhile, people feel like you do; just more of a connection than "home." People are a lot friendlier here, including transplants (guess the Southern hospitality has rubbed off) and willing to help as opposed to back in NEPA where people are guarded and skeptical to new people moving in, even for people who lived there their whole lives. Not everyone but a lot.
Small world.
Grandparents born in Mansfield, Mainesburg, Nanticoke, and Wilkes-Barre.

We used to drive through Carbondale when they were digging the town up to attempt to extinguish the sub-surface coal mine fires. The pits were deep and on both sides of U.S. 6.
Felt dystopian, and ruined much of the town.
Every winter in Honesdale, we would hit -20 degrees at least once. On topic for the thread, I don't miss that, not at all!

Old 08-16-2020, 03:19 PM

344 posts, read 606,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Small world.
Grandparents born in Mansfield, Mainesburg, Nanticoke, and Wilkes-Barre.

We used to drive through Carbondale when they were digging the town up to attempt to extinguish the sub-surface coal mine fires. The pits were deep and on both sides of U.S. 6.
Felt dystopian, and ruined much of the town.
Every winter in Honesdale, we would hit -20 degrees at least once. On topic for the thread, I don't miss that, not at all!
There was a mine fire a few years ago in Simpson but I think some kids got it going somehow.

I know I won't miss winter with the snow, ice and cold. One day in January 2019, I went out to get my mail. Air temp was -20. I was dressed for it and had my phone with me. When I tried to get back in, the storm door froze shut. The moisture from ice crystals froze it. Bright sunny day but it didn't matter. I had to get a PennDOT guy who was doing work near my house drive me to a neighbor's house down the road to get a small blow torch to thaw the door out so I could get in. I will NOT miss that at all.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 936 times
Hi Jackie 2008,
Small world, we live in Elk Meadows, near Elk Mountain. Thinking of moving to the triangle area. What town did you end up moving to? Just wanted to say hi.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:09 PM

22,726 posts, read 36,942,236 times
Quote:
There was a mine fire a few years ago in Simpson but I think some kids got it going somehow.

I know I won't miss winter with the snow, ice and cold. One day in January 2019, I went out to get my mail. Air temp was -20. I was dressed for it and had my phone with me. When I tried to get back in, the storm door froze shut. The moisture from ice crystals froze it. Bright sunny day but it didn't matter. I had to get a PennDOT guy who was doing work near my house drive me to a neighbor's house down the road to get a small blow torch to thaw the door out so I could get in. I will NOT miss that at all.
I could never want my mail that badly!

Old 08-16-2020, 09:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,837,406 times
Quote:

Great story! I lived in Minneapolis in the mid 1970's for grad school, and back then, it was "real" winter (things have warmed up a bit since then in MN). But in college, I remember the tires on my car having a flat spot on them when the car was parked overnight outside and it was -40 degrees. Not kidding. Locals told me that rubber solidified at extremely low temps, so when you started driving, you heard a thumping sound until the flat spot worked its way out of the tires........ Definitely don't miss MN winters! And I won't miss MI winters after I move either, even though they are not as extreme as MN.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:09 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,077,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Great story! I lived in Minneapolis in the mid 1970's for grad school, and back then, it was "real" winter (things have warmed up a bit since then in MN). But in college, I remember the tires on my car having a flat spot on them when the car was parked overnight outside and it was -40 degrees. Not kidding. Locals told me that rubber solidified at extremely low temps, so when you started driving, you heard a thumping sound until the flat spot worked its way out of the tires........ Definitely don't miss MN winters! And I won't miss MI winters after I move either, even though they are not as extreme as MN.
Winters are a breeze here. I didn’t experience anything like the winter you did in MN/MI, but STL area does get snow, cold, and ice. My parents called me one morning last year and it was -30 wind chill. I believe it was 40s here that day. When I go back “home” for Xmas, I just can’t take the cold anymore. December mornings where it’s 10 degrees, gray and windy every day. No thank you. I love that we get a winter here, but it’s very mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary