Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 07:31 AM

714 posts, read 721,977 times

Advertisements

I moved to Durham in 2015 from Northern NJ.

Things I love here:

- Mild winters
- Living in a progressive town/area with a vibrant activist community
- Decent health care
- Friendly neighborhood
- Easy access to cultural activities (live music, restaurants, shows) without spending a fortune or hours commuting
- Wide variety of ethnic restaurants in an easily-driveable radius
- Diversity
- Green space (which is rapidly disappearing, alas)
- Affordable minor league baseball
- Low property taxes
- Many farm stands and farmers markets
- Good movie venues (under normal conditions)
- Living in an area of smart, educated people due to having two major universities here

Things I don't love:

- Many days in a row over 90 degrees (but as long as the electrical grid holds up, I'm OK)
- No back roads/alternate routes to anywhere
- Aggressive, angry NJ drivers seem to have followed me here
- Too much building of stick-built ugly firetrap apartment complexes
- Clear cutting of forests for residential overdevelopment

Things I miss:

- NJ friends
- Shop-Rite
- Good red sauce Italian food
- Good Jewish/NY-style deli (but I am looking forward to trying Mookie's, just opened in Cary!)
- The Dog House Saloon and Grill in Township of Washington, NJ (no web site, Facebook only)

Things I don't miss:

- Constant and relentless air of belligerence (I call NJ the "Yeah? You wanna piece of me?" state. "Real Housewives of New Jersey may represent only a hyped-up subset of crazy northern NJ folks, but it's definitely real)
- Having to dump chemicals on my lawn because having "the green carpet" is the neighborhood default
- Ridiculous property taxes
- Machine/Mob dominance of state and local politics
- Horrendous traffic (though as I said, they're all coming here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:38 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I moved to Durham in 2015 from Northern NJ.

Things I love here:

- Living in an area of smart, educated people due to having two major universities here
I think you mean 3. That's why it's the Triangle after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
Things I don't love:

- No back roads/alternate routes to anywhere
There are tons of back roads. They may or may not be quicker to get where you want to go, but there are tons of alternate routes. I'm a big believer in 'em myself and rarely get on 15-501 and avoid 40 and 440 if I can. Where are you trying to go? I can probably point you to an alternate route.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:42 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think you mean 3. That's why it's the Triangle after all.

There are tons of back roads. They may or may not be quicker to get where you want to go, but there are tons of alternate routes. I'm a big believer in 'em myself and rarely get on 15-501 and avoid 40 and 440 if I can. Where are you trying to go? I can probably point you to an alternate route.
Yeah, I know of no other state with as many back roads and alternate ways to get anywhere.

Maybe they haven't learned all the many ways to go from point A to B, but just look at a ,map.

The federal highway routes and state highway routes offer many options alone. You won't ever have to resort to county roads, (state numbered routes).

NC is not like Northern VA where there is a absolutely no alternate to I-95, or like in Atlanta where the main interstates are used by everyone because there aren't any parallel alternate routes.

I contend that there are 5 ways to get anywhere in NC.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Hackwriter- I lived there until 6 years ago (hoping to move back soon) in a typical suburban neighborhood and I refused to use a ton of chemicals on my lawn. I did use fertilizer but spot treated weeds.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:00 PM

289 posts, read 255,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Would it be too forward of me to say I love you???

I, to am originally from the Philadelphia area (although not my people, they are born and bred NYers. I was the first in my family to be born in PA). But it's who I am. I love the stone farm houses of Bucks County. Amish Country was where we spent many day trips - Kettle Kitchen! We spent weekends at the Jersey Shore. Cape May is my happy place!!! All of the crazy sports junkies - whenever I see an Eagles or Phillies shirt (or even Penn State), I have to say something.

I miss people saying wooder and Iggles. I miss Wawa (although we get it a lot on car trips), but not just Wawa but I miss people who love and "get" Wawa. I miss all of the little hometowns that still have a hometown feel with their own little school districts. I miss people who say P-A when people ask where you are from. I miss Larry Kane and Jim Gardner. I miss soft pretzel stores and stands and hoagie shops and pizza joints on many downtown street corners and people with the last names like Papadopoulos and Capriotti. I miss being an hour or so from the shore and two from NYC and the convenience to the whole Bos-Wash corridor. I miss people who know how to pronounce Schuylkill.

My husband and I are planning to move to PA as soon as my youngest finishes high school - 5 more years!
Aww, right back at ya

There is just something about South East PA that will forever hold a warm place in my heart. A few weeks ago I was on a teleconference for work. Before the call actually got going, there was some back and forth small talk. I wasn't paying too much attention, but then Dorothy W. spoke, and it was like a warm blanket on a cool autumn evening. Dorothy is from North Wales (or thereabouts), and her accent sounded like home. Made me want to take a trip up north.

I didn't personally know a Papadopoulos or a Capriotti, but a quick visit to my Facebook friends from highschool: Impriano, Civitella, DiMeo, Polomano, Kalisperis, Quintavalla, Apalucci, Zografakis, DeLiberali, DiStefano, Petros

I often catch myself saying PA when introducing myself to people at work. People from other countries often have no idea what I mean. But, for some reason, they love it when I say Philly instead of Philadelphia.

Sure, Philly has a downtown, but most I and most people I know from there call it center city.

I grew up with Larry Kane and Jim Gardner! Action News!

I caught a mutant catfish out of the Schuylkill River just west of Boathouse Row, and then ate dinner at Llanerch diner.

Where exactly do you plan on moving back to?

Old 08-15-2020, 09:22 PM

343 posts, read 604,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I lived in Honesdale as a child. Didn't want to move away.
But, I am a bit skeptical about that rating.
I just moved to Raleigh from Northeast PA. I lived near Elk Mountain Ski Resort. If I mentioned the township, you probably never heard of it. On the subject of Honesdale, it is a nice small town with a great Main Street. Just about every storefront is filled and it is a pleasant experience. I worked there for a number of years at the local radio stations. They have an ice cream stand where a small cone costs $1.50 and it is so good. My eyes popped out at what one costs here, $4, $5. I did get a cone at Goodberry's for under $4. But, I didn't move here for ice cream. .

Honesdale isn't immune to issues that NEPA has been experiencing for years. Low paying jobs. Jobs that pay between $10-$14/hr and are usually warehouse, distribution center, call center jobs. Big news reports tout "250 jobs coming to our area" and those are about it. Lots of people have 2-3 jobs to pay the bills, including those who have "professional jobs." Before the pandemic, I used to visit a Gertrude Hawk Chocolates store and there was an older lady who worked there. She said she grew up with a deceased aunt of mine. She also worked at a clothing store. My aunt would have been 87 if she were alive. That woman shouldn't have to be working but apparently needed the money. I was lucky that it became a seller's market after Memorial Day and sold my house within 4 days with 4 offers. Pennsylvania was the only state to deem real estate transactions not essential during the beginning of the pandemic. That led to built up demand. Things are only getting worse with people being laid-off and businesses closing due to COVID.

That being said, I miss family, well water, my old house and backyard (grew up and lived there for 47 years. House my parents built. Land was in my family for over 100 years), friends, being able to blast music if I want (closest neighbors down the road), the church I went to, being close to Animal Adventure Park, near Binghamton,. But, you have to weigh pros and cons. I couldn't afford to make the repairs that the house needed; couldn't get a full-time job in my field (I have done so many other types of jobs) and just tired of same old way things are done. I wanted a better way of life and a better future and I am so glad I made the move to Raleigh.

I will say I that I am happy to see Turkey Hill Ice Cream, TastyKakes, Pet Supplies Plus for my kitty and I am thrilled that there are Wegman's in the area. Got my pierogies and spiedie sauce among other things!

Old 08-16-2020, 05:03 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
I just moved to Raleigh from Northeast PA. I lived near Elk Mountain Ski Resort. If I mentioned the township, you probably never heard of it. On the subject of Honesdale, it is a nice small town with a great Main Street. Just about every storefront is filled and it is a pleasant experience. I worked there for a number of years at the local radio stations. They have an ice cream stand where a small cone costs $1.50 and it is so good. My eyes popped out at what one costs here, $4, $5. I did get a cone at Goodberry's for under $4. But, I didn't move here for ice cream. .

Honesdale isn't immune to issues that NEPA has been experiencing for years. Low paying jobs. Jobs that pay between $10-$14/hr and are usually warehouse, distribution center, call center jobs. Big news reports tout "250 jobs coming to our area" and those are about it. Lots of people have 2-3 jobs to pay the bills, including those who have "professional jobs." Before the pandemic, I used to visit a Gertrude Hawk Chocolates store and there was an older lady who worked there. She said she grew up with a deceased aunt of mine. She also worked at a clothing store. My aunt would have been 87 if she were alive. That woman shouldn't have to be working but apparently needed the money. I was lucky that it became a seller's market after Memorial Day and sold my house within 4 days with 4 offers. Pennsylvania was the only state to deem real estate transactions not essential during the beginning of the pandemic. That led to built up demand. Things are only getting worse with people being laid-off and businesses closing due to COVID.

That being said, I miss family, well water, my old house and backyard (grew up and lived there for 47 years. House my parents built. Land was in my family for over 100 years), friends, being able to blast music if I want (closest neighbors down the road), the church I went to, being close to Animal Adventure Park, near Binghamton,. But, you have to weigh pros and cons. I couldn't afford to make the repairs that the house needed; couldn't get a full-time job in my field (I have done so many other types of jobs) and just tired of same old way things are done. I wanted a better way of life and a better future and I am so glad I made the move to Raleigh.

I will say I that I am happy to see Turkey Hill Ice Cream, TastyKakes, Pet Supplies Plus for my kitty and I am thrilled that there are Wegman's in the area. Got my pierogies and spiedie sauce among other things!
I was born in Susquehanna.
Dad worked for PP&L and moved around a bit with them, and then with the USDA.
Brothers and sisters born in Towanda, Meshoppen, and Honesdale.
Still have family in Tunkhannock area and don't get back often enough.

I don't miss much, really. The beauty of PA is equal to any other eastern state, IMO.
And, I am nostalgic for childhood memories, family who have passed on, but it feels more like a place I have a connection to, more than "home."
But, as you say, the economic opportunities in the Triangle far surpass those in rural PA, and PA is mostly a rural state.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
I will say I that I am happy to see Turkey Hill Ice Cream, TastyKakes, Pet Supplies Plus for my kitty and I am thrilled that there are Wegman's in the area.
TastyKakes are the best. I grew up mostly here but spent summers in NJ with family, and one of my favorite parts was getting TastyKakes. I loved the Butterscotch Krimpets and Kandy Kakes. Me and my sister would always try to bring some home with us. I was so happy when they finally started sending them down here.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:10 AM

343 posts, read 604,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I was born in Susquehanna.
Dad worked for PP&L and moved around a bit with them, and then with the USDA.
Brothers and sisters born in Towanda, Meshoppen, and Honesdale.
Still have family in Tunkhannock area and don't get back often enough.

I don't miss much, really. The beauty of PA is equal to any other eastern state, IMO.
And, I am nostalgic for childhood memories, family who have passed on, but it feels more like a place I have a connection to, more than "home."
But, as you say, the economic opportunities in the Triangle far surpass those in rural PA, and PA is mostly a rural state.
I was born in Susquehanna too. Barnes-Kasson Hospital. Don't think anything has changed much there since. . I am from Herrick Township, with a Uniondale mailing address. There was also a "Village of Dimock Corners" sign before you got to my house. So, I had 3 addresses that I could go by. Closest town to buy groceries is Forest City and the store is Zazzeras Supermarket. For more variety, there is Weis Market in Carbondale but where I went each week was Aldi, Walmart SuperCenter and Wegman's in Dickson City, which was a good 40-45 minutes away. Amazed there is a store in every direction here.

The area is very beautiful but as my neighbor said, "After you look at it, what do you do with it?" Not being close to a hospital and with only state police to cover us (only two troopers on at night to cover all of Susquehanna County, which is big square footage-wise), also add to the reason to leave. There was an incident at a restaurant a little over two years ago not too far from me in which a man had a gun and was threatening people. It took two hours for the state police to show up. Now that is scary.. Luckily, no one was hurt or killed.

It is a month today that I moved down here, so NEPA is still home. But, I read that after awhile, people feel like you do; just more of a connection than "home." People are a lot friendlier here, including transplants (guess the Southern hospitality has rubbed off) and willing to help as opposed to back in NEPA where people are guarded and skeptical to new people moving in, even for people who lived there their whole lives. Not everyone but a lot.

Last edited by Jackie2008; 08-16-2020 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Added word

Old 08-16-2020, 11:42 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
This is an interesting thread. It's fun to read what things new residents to NC miss about their former locations and what they like about the triangle. It's helpful for those of us considering the triangle for relocation. Everything is about trade-offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary