Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:49 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Having them piled up on the sidewalks is annoying, but how is that any worse than having lines of cars parked in spaces that could be used for other things?
What? Cars on parked on roads, where they belong. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:43 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What? Cars on parked on roads, where they belong. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.
Sidewalks certainly could be wider and safer for pedestrians/disabled if we eliminated on-street parking and better managed parking off-road (as they do in most cities) - and as others mentioned, on-street parking spaces could be used for facilities such as bike/scooter/micro-mobility transportation lanes or bike/scooter parking

Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Just ban cars in the downtown city limits.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
And here comes the "if you don't agree with me, you're a <insert derogatory term of choice>. Stop being a snowflake. (How do YOU like being pointlessly judged?) I think scooters are great. But not THESE scooters and the way they were dumped in the city by a company not accepting its own responsibility or liability. And not the way the users leave them lying around like a bunch of kids who dump their toys on the playground or the front yard. They're all over the place -- sidewalks, driveways, parking lots. These companies are making a fortune using a business model that essentially dumps the responsibility on the city, and if no one accepts that responsibility, we're left with an eyesore or worse. You may not mind our city looking like a bad trailer park, but I do. Nothing curmudgeon-y about that.
How are scooters any different than bicycles? So what's next, holding Schwinn and Huffy responsible for making sure adolescents park their bikes properly?

And an eyesore or worse? Now who's being all snowflakey?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:49 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
How are scooters any different than bicycles? So what's next, holding Schwinn and Huffy responsible for making sure adolescents park their bikes properly?

And an eyesore or worse? Now who's being all snowflakey?
Well, there's that motor thing. And the fact that people seem to have the propensity to want to operate scooters on sidewalks.

For cities that offer bike-sharing, they do have specific places to pick up and drop off bikes, so I agree, they should be treated the same!

Old 10-23-2018, 05:07 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
People rarely trip over cars parked on the sidewalk.
Nah, we can up it from tripping. The 3,000 pound car just plows into you on the sidewalk, including these 7 folks in downtown Raleigh.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...alk/1492440602

Old 10-23-2018, 06:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Sidewalks certainly could be wider and safer for pedestrians/disabled if we eliminated on-street parking and better managed parking off-road (as they do in most cities) - and as others mentioned, on-street parking spaces could be used for facilities such as bike/scooter/micro-mobility transportation lanes or bike/scooter parking
just being clear that this is an either/or solution, right? You can't have wider sidewalks without going into the parking spaces. But then if you had wider sidewalks, with their own scooter lanes, then you wouldn't need scooters on the streets.

If we got to the point where we were smog-covered like China or LA, then sure - de-emphasize cars. effectively "ban" them by removing parking. Only allow 20-story parking decks on the rim of downtown, with phalanxes of scooters and jitneys.

If I'm not mistaken, how many on-street parking spots do we ADD a year downtown?

Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Nah, we can up it from tripping. The 3,000 pound car just plows into you on the sidewalk, including these 7 folks in downtown Raleigh.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...alk/1492440602
a spectacular misstatement of fact and data. congrats!

btw, I don't know how that 18 year old isn't locked up right now, and was able to give a TV interview.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:53 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
just being clear that this is an either/or solution, right? You can't have wider sidewalks without going into the parking spaces. But then if you had wider sidewalks, with their own scooter lanes, then you wouldn't need scooters on the streets.

If we got to the point where we were smog-covered like China or LA, then sure - de-emphasize cars. effectively "ban" them by removing parking. Only allow 20-story parking decks on the rim of downtown, with phalanxes of scooters and jitneys.

If I'm not mistaken, how many on-street parking spots do we ADD a year downtown?
In the downtown Raleigh area? Yeah, you're definitely talking about eliminating parking spots if you go with bike/scooter lanes or wider sidewalks but could those parking spots not be replaced by off-street parking garages?

And you don't need wide sidewalks/bike/scooter lanes on every street - just enough to create some sort of connected network to the places people are coming from/going. If there are multiple parallel routes, you can emphasize each street different. One street can be dedicated to vehicular capacity and moving as many cars in/out of the downtown area as possible, while the other can be dedicated to pedestrian/bike/scooter/bus traffic.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:11 PM

I like you pierre. I know you have some actual expertise in the topic. Keep living the dream if it includes taking away car capacity for wider sidewalks/scooter capacity.

Now - you do have a great idea, maybe.

Let me preface it by saying ... do more recent downtown denizens realize that a HUGE problem with downtown was (who knows why today, but it was) when they shut down Fayetteville St to vehicles?

It would be GREAT to improve car traffic where we took 1/2 the N-S streets downtown (and probably 80% of the E-W) and turned them very low speed - at best 15 mph, angled parking w/20% of spots dedicated to bikes and scooters, add some speed bumps, etc. Get ALL the through-traffic off of them.

And then on the through streets, no parking, very limited pedestrian crossing (only at stop lights).

problem is, those who didn't know, or didn't care - "hey I'm a millenial and like to use the scooters. You're a curmudgeon if you don't agree with me you old fart" type clearly don't care - would go right along doing what they want to do, because hey - it's their RIGHT TO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary