Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
To clarify...long-term appreciation/desirability is ABSOLUTELY a factor that one should consider when buying a home.

The folks I'm referring to are the ones who think they should buy a house now so they can sell it in two years and make a ton of money off the profit. As NCRunner77 said......that's a big part of what destroyed the world economy a decade ago.
I personally wouldn't rent for anything over a year in an appreciating market like this, but that's me. If I knew I was going to be here for two years, I'd buy. You then have the option to sell if the appreciation is satisfactory, or rent it out. When renting you have no option but to throw your money away.

As with any investment, some investments are better than others. I see no reason why that wouldn't be a factor no matter how long you intend to stay in a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:19 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
To clarify...long-term appreciation/desirability is ABSOLUTELY a factor that one should consider when buying a home.

The folks I'm referring to are the ones who think they should buy a house now so they can sell it in a year or two and make a ton of money off the profit. As NCRunner77 said......that's a big part of what destroyed the world economy a decade ago.
haha now its your turn. Those people are really ill-informed im pretty sure RE fees and transaction costs would eat most two year appreciation

Old 12-20-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
haha now its your turn. Those people are really ill-informed im pretty sure RE fees and transaction costs would eat most two year appreciation
I know - breaking even is so terrible in comparison to renting

That's also assuming you use a RE agent.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I know - breaking even is so terrible in comparison to renting

That's also assuming you use a RE agent.
my understanding the tip over between owning vs renting is five years not to mention ongoing maintenance

Old 12-20-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
my understanding the tip over between owning vs renting is five years not to mention ongoing maintenance
That's a pretty generic statement.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Agree with this. Once you factor in interest, insurance, taxes, maintenance, HOA fees, realtor fees, etc, buying is not nearly as advantageous as many seem to think.

One could easily come out ahead by renting for less and investing the difference.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post

One could easily come out ahead by renting for less and investing the difference.
One could easily not as well.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:51 AM

806 posts, read 603,587 times
Quote:
Agree with this. Once you factor in interest, insurance, taxes, maintenance, HOA fees, realtor fees, etc, buying is not nearly as advantageous as many seem to think.

This area is affordable, I would rather own a mid priced home and be comfortable.

If interest rates keep going up though next year the rental market is probably going to get hotter here most likely since it's going to start penciling out.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
This area is affordable, I would rather own a mid priced home and be comfortable.

If interest rates keep going up though next year the rental market is probably going to get hotter here most likely since it's going to start penciling out.
Oh me too.

I'm just saying that sometimes the math favors renting.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:09 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:

This makes zero sense for periods over 1 (maybe 2) years, in this location anyway. If you're in a location where the real estate market is plummeting, then yeah you may come out ahead (compared to buying). But one would also argue jobs, public safety, etc. are plummeting as well.

With the exception of Real Estate fees, you're still paying all of the above. Sure, they're not line items on your monthly bill, but you're paying them.

At the end of the day, with renting exactly zero dollars from your monthly payment are going back into your asset. Generally speaking, on a square footage basis, your mortgage is going to be a heckuva lot cheaper than renting will be, so your argument of "investing the difference" doesn't really hold water. I'd be interested to see where the "monthly difference" favors renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary