Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

As far as Google Fiber collecting data, they don’t really, according to their terms of service. Now, if you use google services on any provider they collect data on those, but nothing more over google fiber. Unlike some other providers like ATT and Spectrum, they do not insert extra ads on webpages or similar stuff. They also have net neutrality baked into their terms of service, also in contrast to other providers.

And, I will say, I use google fiber only for internet, no home phone and not for TV. We use DIRECTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I can assure you that our spectrum outages were not our WiFi. Our neighbors lost service at the same times. Repeatedly. However, it wasn't the Spectrum service I hated; it is the always incompetent, sometimes rude customer service agents. Totally unacceptable. Their rate hikes didn't help.
QFTMFT

Given the drops we have been seeing lately, I went out and bought my own modem (I already use my own AC router and Mesh WiFI setup).

I called them to activate my new modem because their online activation tool wasnt working. The rep started out helpful; took down MAC ID et al.

After she did her thing she said "ok, can you now get on a WiFi enabled device so we can test your connection? You want to find "My Spectrum WiFi" SSID."

I said "maam, I use my own router and mesh setup. All I changed here was the modem (from your equipment to mine). The SSID would not have changed from what it was previously".

I then connected to my existing SSID, ran some Speedtest.net tests and confirmed back to her that I was in fact back online.

"Sir, if you can't see My Spectrum Wifi SSID then that means something is wrong."

"No maam, I am not connecting through your equipment, I will never see that SSID. I will see the SSID i previously setup, which I do. I am good. Thank you for your assistance"

"Sir I am going to have to transfer you to our Internet Support group for further assistance. I can't solve your problem"

She then transferred to what I guess is basically their Geek Squad. I talked nerd with that guy for two mins and he was like "I have no idea what in the hell she was trying to do. I have no idea why she took the MAC ID of your router. I have removed the ID from the notes on your account. I'm sorry"

They really need to split their Tier 1 support into "Customers who know what they are doing" and "People who think there is some wizard pumping the internets into the air".

Walking me through your Power Cycle script is a complete and utter waste of my time.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
As far as Google Fiber collecting data, they don’t really, according to their terms of service. Now, if you use google services on any provider they collect data on those, but nothing more over google fiber. Unlike some other providers like ATT and Spectrum, they do not insert extra ads on webpages or similar stuff. They also have net neutrality baked into their terms of service, also in contrast to other providers.
That is great to hear.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM
NDS NDS started this thread

58 posts, read 65,260 times
All great feedback, much appreciated. My Spectrum service has been .. more or less rock solid, haven't ever had to avail myself of customer service so can't speak to quality of those folks. Part of the TWC/Charter (?) merger back a few years ago required them to commit to 7 years of no bandwidth caps, which was fairly important.

For folks that got Google Fiber installed, what do the techs actually do? I've read about the "FiberJack" that goes on an external wall mount point, and then internally there's the "NetworkBox" which is essentially a wifi/router. Will Google techs run Ethernet inside your house if the location you want the NetworkBox is *NOT* right next to the FiberJack? I live in a 3 story townhome, and all of my computer equipment is on the 2nd floor. This works out for Spectrum since house is wired for cable and I can just place the modem on 2nd floor, cat6 between it and my home router/PC. With Google Fiber it would be a negative if I either have to pay someone to run cat6 inside separately, or resign myself to wifi only for my homePC.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
All great feedback, much appreciated. My Spectrum service has been .. more or less rock solid, haven't ever had to avail myself of customer service so can't speak to quality of those folks. Part of the TWC/Charter (?) merger back a few years ago required them to commit to 7 years of no bandwidth caps, which was fairly important.

For folks that got Google Fiber installed, what do the techs actually do? I've read about the "FiberJack" that goes on an external wall mount point, and then internally there's the "NetworkBox" which is essentially a wifi/router. Will Google techs run Ethernet inside your house if the location you want the NetworkBox is *NOT* right next to the FiberJack? I live in a 3 story townhome, and all of my computer equipment is on the 2nd floor. This works out for Spectrum since house is wired for cable and I can just place the modem on 2nd floor, cat6 between it and my home router/PC. With Google Fiber it would be a negative if I either have to pay someone to run cat6 inside separately, or resign myself to wifi only for my homePC.

While I can't speak to what Google will do at install, you may have another option if they cant get it close to your computer.

We have a smart closet in our house, with cat5 jacks in some of the rooms upstairs. I converted our dining room into my home office (which doesnt have a jack).

So I am running Powerline adapters to my home office with a switch off of that for my Home Server, Work Laptop, PS4 and NAS Cloud Device.

Basically one Powerline adapter plugs into the wall near the router with a cat5 connection to the router. The other Powerline adapter is in my office with cat5 to the switch and the previously mentioned devices connected to the switch.

I think they make PowerLine adapters up to 2Gbps so you shouldnt lose much on direct line speed even on a gigabit line.

EDIT TO ADD - for those unfamiliar, Powerline adapters pump internet around your home using the existing electric lines in the home. It is an older technology that apparently used to suck really bad. They have made massive improvements to it in the last few years.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Assuming all three cable companies in our area (ATT, Spectrum, GF) are functioning properly, is there any advantage of one over the other? As in speed, TV definition, etc. We're using Spectrum and a year or so ago ATT laid cable in our neighborhood. When/if GF arrives, we'll have a choice of three providers.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
And....
Google Fiber just tweeted that they are pulling out of Louisville.
"Sorry. Gonna miss ya. So sad. Mean it."

Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Assuming all three cable companies in our area (ATT, Spectrum, GF) are functioning properly, is there any advantage of one over the other? As in speed, TV definition, etc. We're using Spectrum and a year or so ago ATT laid cable in our neighborhood. When/if GF arrives, we'll have a choice of three providers.
I'll speak in generalities as I don't have all the specifics in all Triangle towns.

Cable/Internet Companies (Spectrum in this example) and then Fiber Optic Companies (AT&T and Google) use the same infrastructure medium on the street, fiber optic cable. The difference between the two is what the line to your home from the street is. Cable companies run a coaxial line to the home while Fiber companies run fiber to the home.

While I have never had Fiber here, we did have it back in MA. We had Verizon FiOS as our cable/internet provider. What ultimately drove me to leave them (and since I don't know how AT&T and Google do it here, it may not be relevant) was that FiOS used MoCA technology.

Basically the MoCA box translated the signal in the home so that it could be consumed by the peripheries in the home (laptops, cable boxes, phones, tablets etc) but since the MoCA box also controlled DVR and TV Guide, you couldn't change a lot about it.

I hated it because our home was old and killed WiFi signals, so where as I wanted to setup various routers to bridge the WiFi signal to my master bedroom, man cave and home office (pre-Mesh days), working from a MoCA device made that more complicated and as such we left for XFinity X1.

Generally speaking, Fiber internet can reach much higher speeds than "cable" internet. I think the max Spectrum offers where we live in 300Mbps while Google and AT&T would more than likely be at least 1000Mbps and the upload speeds should be way, way better.

In terms of TV definition, there should be some improvement compared to cable as there should be less pixelation.

Fiber is also less impacted by interference that impacts cable providers as the lines are glass not electric.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM

253 posts, read 235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post

They really need to split their Tier 1 support into "Customers who know what they are doing" and "People who think there is some wizard pumping the internets into the air".
My calls with tech support for internet issues generally start with "Hi, yes, the modem and router are plugged in, I've tried disconnected and reconnected everything, I've checked on multiple devices, and it still doesn't work, so skip all those questions."

I'm not super techy, but I would also settle for a "customer is a millennial and therefore understands basic technology" support level.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacat View Post
My calls with tech support for internet issues generally start with "Hi, yes, the modem and router are plugged in, I've tried disconnected and reconnected everything, I've checked on multiple devices, and it still doesn't work, so skip all those questions."

I'm not super techy, but I would also settle for a "customer is a millennial and therefore understands basic technology" support level.
Bingo!

Don't get me wrong. Power cycling your modem, then your router (and maybe an extender) can and will solve some issues. And yes there are probably people who wouldn't think to or would be uncomfortable doing that on their own.

But there are a good number of people who have probably already tried the first 12 steps on their Customer Service Rep script before they even called to troubleshoot. And I say this as someone who is in no way, shape or form a Network Admin in terms of my knowledge.

Honestly, it should be a question the automated rep asks you like language preference.

"Para Espanol, marque dos", "If you know what the terms GB and WiFi mean, don't use a Jitterbug and know that there is not an actual cloud in the cloud, press 5"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary