Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:23 AM

346 posts, read 308,725 times

Advertisements

40, single, MtF trans person here for starters.

I did some research when looking for a place to move to and I get the impression that is a big Beaverton in that a lot looks new and it tech oriented, upper middle class suburbs and Durham is like all of Portand concentrated, just with more black people.. raleigh though does not seem at all too black, and instead looks to resemble San Diego, Portlands west side, and Salt Lake. I just wanna know what people think but seems to be getting gentrified so fast and will be the mess Portland is in no time, within a decade at least.

I would be moving from the SW Portland area but I chose Columbia SC instead to go to because of the fact Raleigh/Durham became California/Portland 2.0 with people a little nicer maybe. Just a vibe I got, no cool bars also in raleigh when I looked on the map. Durham I hear is crime filled, even black people told me. Like one extreme to the next. I would like an indie scene though like I hear raleigh is supposed to have but so I once thought about Portland too before costs went quite high and became boring and traffic and crime written, amongst white people btw not all black. The best people I met have been POC in the total time I spent. and even then a lot of people were quite segregated too in PDX. and racism is a lot worse than people think. I hear the same about raleigh.

I dont want those CA/NW crowds, some of us do want it slower but what made me start this thread was because I did have a tough choice at a point as I do know a few people in raleighs immediate area and I did contemplate it. Columbia is the better choice though I have found. Not as "updated", its like going back to 1985 it looks to me. Calmer.. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I am getting older but I do have liberal views to a good extent as well. raleigh just doesnt seem to have enough character though and Durham tbh seems to be the highest crime place in NC. again correct me if I seem wrong but I don't think I am... Thanks.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:27 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post

I did some research when looking for a place to move to and I get the impression that is a big Beaverton in that a lot looks new and it tech oriented, upper middle class suburbs and Durham is like all of Portand concentrated, just with more black people.. raleigh though does not seem at all too black, and instead looks to resemble San Diego, Portlands west side, and Salt Lake. I just wanna know what people think but seems to be getting gentrified so fast and will be the mess Portland is in no time, within a decade at least.

I would be moving from the SW Portland area but I chose Columbia SC instead to go to because of the fact Raleigh/Durham became California/Portland 2.0 with people a little nicer maybe. Just a vibe I got, no cool bars also in raleigh when I looked on the map. Durham I hear is crime filled, even black people told me. Like one extreme to the next. I would like an indie scene though like I hear raleigh is supposed to have but so I once thought about Portland too before costs went quite high and became boring and traffic and crime written, amongst white people btw not all black. The best people I met have been POC in the total time I spent. and even then a lot of people were quite segregated too in PDX. and racism is a lot worse than people think. I hear the same about raleigh.

I dont want those CA/NW crowds, some of us do want it slower but what made me start this thread was because I did have a tough choice at a point as I do know a few people in raleighs immediate area and I did contemplate it. Columbia is the better choice though I have found. Not as "updated", its like going back to 1985 it looks to me. Calmer.. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like I am getting older but I do have liberal views to a good extent as well. raleigh just doesnt seem to have enough character though and Durham tbh seems to be the highest crime place in NC. again correct me if I seem wrong but I don't think I am... Thanks.
You have already decided to move to SC so what was the point of your thread here in NC? I hope you can find a place to your liking that isn't "too black" whatever you meant by that.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:10 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,663 times
This area has been "The Next . . ." for decades. Not sure if we've been compared to Portland, Oregon before.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:16 AM

715 posts, read 1,039,615 times
Quote:

Wow. Never thought of visiting Portland, but if it's at all as great as Durham, Raleigh, and the greater Triangle for that matter, then maybe we'd visit if we vacation in the NW, once things settle down out there, that is. Speaking of: You referenced crime in Durham-- That rioting and now unrest in Portland isn't exactly what I'd call Crime-Free.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:28 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

Im glad that you listened to your friends (who probably have never set foot in Durham) and decided to go somewhere else that is “not too black.” As a black man transplanted to and living in Durham, the last thing we need here is someone who is concerned there is “too many” of us.

I’m very satisfied with my choice to listen to my friends who I know have a large sample size of actually living in Durham who advised me that Durham’s crime reputation is not reality in a lot of areas of Durham and guided me towards North Durham where I feel pretty comfortable.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:41 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,653 times
This qualifies as the weirdest thread post in quite a while.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:44 AM

15 posts, read 12,648 times
I hope it's not the next Portland because Portland is a mess.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:45 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
I'm not sure I believe this is a genuine post, but I'll go with it.

My gut feeling would be that Durham would have been the better choice. I dunno, I guess I could ask my trans neighbors.

The crime thing is really silly. Yep we've got it, a lot of times it's criminals vs criminals, but not all the time of course.

Have not been to Columbia, SC but it seems like an odd choice.

You should probably visit Durham.

EDIT: I missed the part about you not wanting to be near black people so never mind, please don't visit

Old 02-05-2021, 07:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
When I think of Portland, I immediately think VERY VERY far left. Not to get political, but in that specific way. I hope The Triangle is not the "next Portland."

My reason for thinking this is a bogus post? He thinks there are more "cool bars" in Columbia, SC than Raleigh.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:05 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times
I do not understand the point of this post, OP. Did you already make a choice and now trying to justify it to yourself that it was a good choice?

Personally I do not think it's good to compare one place to another and say "is it the next Portland/SF/NY/Whatever?". It's just not the best reason to move. I live in Durham and I like Durham because well it's Durham. There is no other place like this. Just like there is no other place like Portland.

As a trans person Durham would have been a better choice for you. I am gay and I have at least 2 other gay families and 1 non-binary family living in my neighborhood. And, it's not even in downtown or super "hip" part of Durham. It's super inclusive and diverse. But, it doesn't seem like you like it when places are "too something else..." This is in fact a city with established Black history, business and activism. I do not think anyone who has problems should move here. Your boss could be a Black person, your neighbor could be a Black person, your boss's boss could be Black person.

This isn't Oregon, where you have 4 Black people and 3 of them are on Ducks team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary