Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 07:33 PM

346 posts, read 308,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Im glad that you listened to your friends (who probably have never set foot in Durham) and decided to go somewhere else that is “not too black.” As a black man transplanted to and living in Durham, the last thing we need here is someone who is concerned there is “too many” of us.

I’m very satisfied with my choice to listen to my friends who I know have a large sample size of actually living in Durham who advised me that Durham’s crime reputation is not reality in a lot of areas of Durham and guided me towards North Durham where I feel pretty comfortable.

No u missed the point. I said Portland doesnt have a lot of black people and I like things at least with some differences, not as much homogeneity. but I also dont want highest crime in the Carolinas at the same time. Low to mid grade is fine even if it means some blacks will be around, doesnt even have to be 70 percent white. I have a lot of issues with white people as a matter of fact the most esp in the snob north states. Its worse than it is in the south.

St Pete has crime ok, big time, and I remember it was SOME blacks but a good amount of white too. Hustling was just common, when one took a walk, u would be hit up for something and people on bikes would do it too... that is crap I dont want when moving someplace, and again white people have done that to me too. Cheated me out of cash. It was just a "St Pete thing" in the ghetto culture when I spent time there. A lot of scammers and I found the worst places to be was close to the beach, but not ON the beach. But like 5 minutes out where it got cheap to live kinda thing. Id move inland to avoid that and then visit the beach if I had to. Do I think Durham is like that? No. Do I think Durham has homicides though? Bigggg time. Would I get hassled going down the street though? Id think not as much. So its all relative.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorimpressor View Post
I hope it's not the next Portland because Portland is a mess.

No u dont want it to be.. If it has issues now, dont add more.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
When I think of Portland, I immediately think VERY VERY far left. Not to get political, but in that specific way. I hope The Triangle is not the "next Portland."

My reason for thinking this is a bogus post? He thinks there are more "cool bars" in Columbia, SC than Raleigh.

And for all the "far left" that exists, it gets far right to levels beyond NC cities, and I am talking like 15 min fom Portland too. So all u have is a place with political extremes and people dont even interact. Its high income at least where I been living with 2 sides, thats a recipe for fascism to breed.

I feel like this is the kinda place one lives where u have to join a church because Oregon is so godless or least religious, nevermind the south, I think Portland has it beat for leftism and even far right conservatism too.. Its tough to cut those walls down. It just seems nice when visiting IF its the right season, but move here, it doesnt matter what month ur in, people get mean fast and distant. U HAVE to go to bars and drink to even have socialization and that gets expensive to keep doing that.

And I do,I believe Columbia has more of what u would call flava than raleigh and Wilmington. More than Durham though? maybe not.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I do not understand the point of this post, OP. Did you already make a choice and now trying to justify it to yourself that it was a good choice?

Personally I do not think it's good to compare one place to another and say "is it the next Portland/SF/NY/Whatever?". It's just not the best reason to move. I live in Durham and I like Durham because well it's Durham. There is no other place like this. Just like there is no other place like Portland.

As a trans person Durham would have been a better choice for you. I am gay and I have at least 2 other gay families and 1 non-binary family living in my neighborhood. And, it's not even in downtown or super "hip" part of Durham. It's super inclusive and diverse. But, it doesn't seem like you like it when places are "too something else..." This is in fact a city with established Black history, business and activism. I do not think anyone who has problems should move here. Your boss could be a Black person, your neighbor could be a Black person, your boss's boss could be Black person.

This isn't Oregon, where you have 4 Black people and 3 of them are on Ducks team.

I would think Columbia or Greenville tbh based on peoples profiles I seen being MtF. and Columbia is democratic. More a mixed bag as well with no extremes.

So is Columbia when it comes to established blackness being there.

Haha I like that one. Its kinda true though. Shows how "ahead" Oregon is. Its all what people think AL is and then some.

I know, I get it. and might be quite nice too. I had black bosses in the past.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum it up, I want a less crowded place but with stuff to do at the same time. Cola seems to fit the bill. Greenville could I suppose too but I heard it does have less in actual practice than Columbia does but still beats Charleston.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Wow! Looks like you made the correct choice for yourself. More conservative, southern, and racist.

I dont believe so though. Not next to Oregon and parts of COASTAL Carolinas or high populated spots like raleigh I heard about it. U dont get it but the racism is along the coasts, even Pinellas Co FL too. No joke. New England on the coasts... dont want no black people around also.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Seems like a troll. Better stop feeding it.

No I'm not.. Im dead.. DEAD serious. I am just responding to these as I see them, now let me do it k sweetie?

Old 02-05-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
She

Durham and Chapel Hill have always had politics in the same zone as Portland, and that goes way back. It was a progressive enclave in the south long before RTP and the region's explosive growth. Raleigh is somewhat more moderate than those two but still more progressive than the rest of the state. The region attracts the same sort of clientele as Austin, Denver, Portland, and other tech hubs.

OMG I knew it! These people are just in denial about it. I knew someone had to think the same thing as me. Outside of just a few more black people, it seems to me like raleigh/Durham comes close to the level Portland is at and if it isn't, its a decade from being so. I was their warning and it doesnt seem like these people wanna listen. Austin isnt seen as extreme as Portland, same with Denver and even Asheville but its kind of close. the costs are high as hell to live I will tell u that.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:46 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think Raleigh’s skyline definitely is underwhelming compared to peer cities such as Cleveland, Louisville, New Orleans, OKC, Richmond, even Milwaukee. We know this is largely attributable to the fact Raleigh’s major employment center is not downtown, and the city’s urbanized growth is relatively recent. But, Raleigh has a fast growing skyline now. Remember, a ago, people said Austin had a skyline. Look at it now!
Raleigh is compared to Austin, Portland for several reasons. One is the fast growth, and also the tech industry and highly educated work force.

Raleigh got thrust into the national spotlight in 1993 or 1994 being called the Best Place to Live in America.

Since then, it has received so many accolades and high rankings across all categories that any news one merely elicit a yawn these days from the locals.

Raleigh's fortes include a being a great place to raise a family and a unique compromise of so many good things America has to offer. None define it on their own, but so much is within easy reach, like the mountains and the beach and it's an attractive region of the country.

Raleigh is all about understated quality over quantity, I keep trying to tell Charlotte boosters that Raleigh doesn't aspire to be anything more than what it already is. It's not in a race with Charlotte to become a big city, and tall skyscrapers aren't on people's minds in Raleigh.

As the state capital for the state comprised of hundreds of small towns, Raleigh reflects the state perfectly.

Raleighites are always aware that it is just one part of big, wonderful state and there is a concerted effort to be fair with resources and spending to the entire state.

That isn't always easy, and often Raleigh will get less in order to give the rest of the state more.

All of the old, run-down government agency buildings are a testament to that.

Never in NC do you see extravagant buildings for the whatever county or state agency it's for.

So Raleigh's underwhelming skyline does seem appropriate for what it is, an overgrown country town.

That a good thing for a state full of Mayberries, which is also a compliment.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Also, she is going to have a hell of a hard time in South Carolina if too many black people is a concern. I was born there and my parents have a bunch of old military partners who are black who stay there.

U people didnt read this well. I said nothing about having a problem with black people.. I can tell now that the area has people who dont read things through and quick to ASSume as well.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
indeed. and doesn't sound like the person ever visited. no "Cool bars based on looking at a map"?

I am at least intrigued enough to find out what other pearls of wise insight have comprised her* posting history.

A black dude ALSO on YouTube said it and Im like oh wait he must be right since I dont see NONE on the map (which shows the real streets btw) unless its overpriced 6 dollar beers at the cheapest. But no I cant tell u people nothing in this area I guess, glad I did not pick it. Id be arguing a lot with people. But at least I see u use the pronouns though. I mean if bars do exist in raleigh, not Durham now,, raleigh that if bars do serve beer as well as clubs, I see a lack of a 2 dollar special kind of a bar scene. In Portland u once did have that at least but now thats gone up but in raleigh, thats unbelievable that its got gentrified that much and is so white bread. Its like a big Beaverton almost and looking to be Lake Oswego as well. West Linn etc. Not the scene I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary