Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:07 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,282,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Bizarre? Yes
Bogus? YES
Full of BS? YEP

unless this is a well-executed month-long work of art, it's not bogus or full of BS.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:50 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,175,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
unless this is a well-executed month-long work of art, it's not bogus or full of BS.
Really? This OP has been posting what amounts to nonsense about choosing Columbia over Raleigh and his/her specific reasons, for a while now in Raleigh threads. The question is why???

Maybe you understand disorganized rants but most people don't.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:20 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,974,563 times
I assume Bobro's referring to the OP's post history over the past month, asking about Raleigh vs Columbia multiple times, and not just this thread. There is a consistent theme. I could believe that that is a troll account. Could also be sincere, and the odd prose in that first post in this thread is just the result of posting during a ketamine trip. Some people do just have odd opinions. I could believe either.

I'm sure there is someone out there who sincerely believes Portland isn't urban or progressive enough, so it's time to move to Columbia, South Cackalacky - the 'Paris of the Piedmont' as they say. I see crazier opinions all the time on CD.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I assume Bobro's referring to the OP's post history over the past month, asking about Raleigh vs Columbia multiple times, and not just this thread. There is a consistent theme. I could believe that that is a troll account. Could also be sincere, and the odd prose in that first post in this thread is just the result of posting during a ketamine trip. Some people do just have odd opinions. I could believe either.

I'm sure there is someone out there who sincerely believes Portland isn't urban or progressive enough, so it's time to move to Columbia, South Cackalacky - the 'Paris of the Piedmont' as they say. I see crazier opinions all the time on CD.
Thanks for helping to add clarity to this almost SciFi type thread. I do wonder if his/her meds may be the culprit.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 6,590,422 times
Such an odd post, for so many reasons. There may be certain skyline similarities between Raleigh-Durham and Columbia but that's about the only way they're similar. Columbia is way more Southern in terms of religious, political and moral sensibilities.

Most cities are personal illusions, we see in them what we want to. The Triangle offers something for everyone, including an Indie scene, hip bars and racial diversity. The assertion that Durham suffers from high crime is absurd. While it may have areas that have higher crime rates than other parts of the Triangle, it's almost entirely a safe place.

Go and enjoy South Carolina, maybe we'll catch you on the rebound after you realize that won't work for you either.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Such an odd post, for so many reasons. There may be certain skyline similarities between Raleigh-Durham and Columbia but that's about the only way they're similar. Columbia is way more Southern in terms of religious, political and moral sensibilities.

Most cities are personal illusions, we see in them what we want to. The Triangle offers something for everyone, including an Indie scene, hip bars and racial diversity. The assertion that Durham suffers from high crime is absurd. While it may have areas that have higher crime rates than other parts of the Triangle, it's almost entirely a safe place.

Go and enjoy South Carolina, maybe we'll catch you on the rebound after you realize that won't work for you either.
I've been seeing many of these sorts of threads pop up recently in the Triangle and Triad forums where some OP from parts unknown starts a thread and begins comparing Raleigh or the Triangle to some other NC or SC city...and even Portland (on the west coast). They even come into the Triangle threads and start to bash Raleigh and Durham for things like being boring, bad traffic, overpriced, etc., but yet people keep moving here in large numbers. I'm not sure what the rationale for this is, other than in their minds they think that somehow they are convincing people that the Triangle is not as good as reported and these other areas are better.

In any event whatever the strategy, it's pointless. Most people make up their own minds about a place based on their own personal preferences and the ability to find the type of employment that they seek. These sorts of rogue threads are futile at best.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:55 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,974,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

As lacking as Raleigh's skyline is it's still better than Columbia. Still, that it even gets suggested just underlines the need for everything on the drawing board for downtown Raleigh to just go ahead and GET BUILT already so people stop going on about the skyline here.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
As lacking as Raleigh's skyline is it's still better than Columbia. Still, that it even gets suggested just underlines the need for everything on the drawing board for downtown Raleigh to just go ahead and GET BUILT already so people stop going on about the skyline here.
I would not necessarily say that Raleigh's skyline is lacking. Compared to NYC or Chicago or Miami, yes it's lacking the number of skyscrapers. For a city of it's size, the current skyline is decent.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,617,793 times
I always see Raleigh compared to these other cities (Austin, Portland etc....) but these cities are popular because they have their own identity and culture/way of life. What is special about Raleigh? I feel that Raleigh is just known for being a bedroom community that has a great balance between quality of life and cost of living. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get the comparisons between us and other trendy cities.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,488,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I would not necessarily say that Raleigh's skyline is lacking. Compared to NYC or Chicago or Miami, yes it's lacking the number of skyscrapers. For a city of it's size, the current skyline is decent.
I think Raleigh’s skyline definitely is underwhelming compared to peer cities such as Cleveland, Louisville, New Orleans, OKC, Richmond, even Milwaukee. We know this is largely attributable to the fact Raleigh’s major employment center is not downtown, and the city’s urbanized growth is relatively recent. But, Raleigh has a fast growing skyline now. Remember, a ago, people said Austin had a skyline. Look at it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary