Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 AM

145 posts, read 160,258 times

Advertisements

I am all for the reserved spots for Moms and Veterans as it will finally give the handicapped folks some spots to steal too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 06:41 AM

270 posts, read 379,668 times
I have multiple chronic illnesses, one of those 'invisible illness' people. Some of the replies on here are exactly why I've had a handicap placard form sitting in a drawer in my kitchen, completely filled out by my doctor, for a few months now. I can't bring myself to send it in because I'm not sure I would use it anyway for fear of being judged. Also won't use scooters at the store and risk passing out instead for the same reason. Obviously this is my problem and something I need to get over but it sucks that I have to even think about it.
Pity-party over.

That said, I think the 'parents with small children' should be a spot next to a cart return! I always wanted those spots when my daughter was little so I didn't have to carry her back across the parking lot after putting my cart away.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I have multiple chronic illnesses, one of those 'invisible illness' people. Some of the replies on here are exactly why I've had a handicap placard form sitting in a drawer in my kitchen, completely filled out by my doctor, for a few months now. I can't bring myself to send it in because I'm not sure I would use it anyway for fear of being judged. Also won't use scooters at the store and risk passing out instead for the same reason. Obviously this is my problem and something I need to get over but it sucks that I have to even think about it.
Please don’t let small minded inconsequential people stop you from doing what is best for your health and wellness. They don’t deserve your consideration.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
I have a veteran license plate. With that being said, I rarely have parked in those spaces when available. I don't mind walking farther. Now when I've had my kids with me and lots of stuff to carry, then I have used the space.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:19 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'd venture to guess that 99% of veterans would choose not to use that parking anyway.
You'd guess right. The vast majority of the time when I go to Harris-Teeter, the veteran spots are completely empty.

The mother with child spots seem to get used fairly often.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:35 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Those “special” spots annoy me. Mothers are young! They can walk a few more steps than the average shopper. There is no advantage really so it’s just a matter of the store wanting you to think you are special. Maybe it’s news, but everyone is special for something.

Handicap spots are the exception as they are for physically compromised people who might not be visible riding low ina parking lot.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Ye My pet peeve is seeing people parking in handicap spaces when there is no display to show it. And many of them walk without even a limp.

You may have already received enough abuse for making this statement, but I feel pretty strongly about this, so I think I'll pile on as well. What an ignorant statement. SO many conditions or diseases present challenges that you can't see. Cardiac and respiratory diseases can make it really hard to breathe, so a simple walk from the back of the parking lot can lead to breathing problems. Chemo can totally sap your strength. Even if you can make the walk across the parking lot, you might then not have the energy to make it around the store, or do anything else for the rest of the morning. You can't SEE diseases or problems like this, but they can take a toll. Don't be a jerk about handicapped parking. Assume that if they have a license plate or placard, they need it. It's really not YOUR judgement call.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Perhaps you should reword this sentence.

"dishonorable discharge."

Old 08-05-2019, 08:54 AM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Honestly this is not something I would usually do, but it was SO obvious that this woman was just in a rush that I felt like it was wrong for me not to say something. Yes I checked her mirror for a placard, and I checked her plate. All I said to her was "I just wanted to make sure you know you're parked in a handicapped parking space?" She said something on the lines of "yeah I'm just running in and out", and then decided she was embarrassed and left.

So yeah. This wasn't me being a busy-body, this was me sticking up for people that actually need those parking spots. If the parking lot wasn't full and this woman wasn't clearly in a rush, I would never have said anything.
I am in a wheelchair, valid placard holder. Just around the corner is my favorite carry out Oriental and a pizza joint. There are two handicap spots with the sidewalk ramp to allow me easy access. Once I saw a young girl in a spot with no placard, no license plate and no apparent rush to more. A lot of times they say "Just say something, I'll move" BS.

Next time I'll park my car directly behind them with an inch of space between bumpers. When they approach me and ask if I'd move my car or they will call the police I will ask them if they mind if I eat while we wait?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:34 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
I am in a wheelchair, valid placard holder. Just around the corner is my favorite carry out Oriental and a pizza joint. There are two handicap spots with the sidewalk ramp to allow me easy access. Once I saw a young girl in a spot with no placard, no license plate and no apparent rush to more. A lot of times they say "Just say something, I'll move" BS.

Next time I'll park my car directly behind them with an inch of space between bumpers. When they approach me and ask if I'd move my car or they will call the police I will ask them if they mind if I eat while we wait?

Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: