Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I believe that is for a medical professional to decide. At any rate RARELY if ever do I see all the handicapped spots taken so I don't think it's being abused. In fact I drove my parents to an event last spring and forgot their handicapped placard and it was a huge inconvenience and frankly dangerous for both of them to walk where we had to walk. Oh well.
of course it is, and I assumed there were guidelines just like danielbmartin laid out.

Any car parked in a handicap spot should have the placard/plate, which indicates they've gotten that medical decision. I wouldn't quibble over a person who has the placard, but forgot it in another car. But anyone who doesn't possess the placard/plate somewhere is ABUSING the spot, and there are fines for that.

And then there are those borrow the placard from a relative to park in the spot, without the deserving relative with them. They're no better than the folks who routinely park in a fire lane, just not as easy to spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
You don't understand why it is frustrating to pull into an open space, only to discover it is reserved, even though all 4 are open, then have to back and and drive to the back of the lot? And for what, so a store can pander that it supports veterans? What about teachers, and senior citizens, and police and fire fighters and all the other people? It's silly.
Oh no ..the back of the lot? How will you survive . Are you one of those people that waits 10 minutes for someone to pull out of a spot up front, when you could park 100 feet away and be in the store by that then?

I'm just joking around, but it really doesn't seem like a big deal. And it's the business owner's decision to support who they want to support.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:52 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
I have multiple chronic illnesses, one of those 'invisible illness' people. Some of the replies on here are exactly why I've had a handicap placard form sitting in a drawer in my kitchen, completely filled out by my doctor, for a few months now. I can't bring myself to send it in because I'm not sure I would use it anyway for fear of being judged. Also won't use scooters at the store and risk passing out instead for the same reason. Obviously this is my problem and something I need to get over but it sucks that I have to even think about it.
Pity-party over.

That said, I think the 'parents with small children' should be a spot next to a cart return! I always wanted those spots when my daughter was little so I didn't have to carry her back across the parking lot after putting my cart away.
you should absolutely get your placard and use it every time.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
Thank-you BoBromhal and hertfordshire. I'm working on not caring what other people think but it's hard sometimes! Can't wait until I reach the 'don't give a sh*t' age!! :-D

Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Oh no ..the back of the lot? How will you survive . Are you one of those people that waits 10 minutes for someone to pull out of a spot up front, when you could park 100 feet away and be in the store by that then?

I'm just joking around, but it really doesn't seem like a big deal. And it's the business owner's decision to support who they want to support.
I ask the same of veterans. I have no problem parking in the back bc the lot's full. And no, I'm not a space hunter. This is a case where the spaces are there and you don't know why until you pull in.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I think people who are lurking to see if the Triangle is a good area to move here should take notice! Life is so good here that we have time to talk about special parking places, Cary being too beige, lack of Louis Vuitton stores, food trucks, and houses that are too convenient to 540, shopping and grocery stores.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:39 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I think people who are lurking to see if the Triangle is a good area to move here should take notice! Life is so good here that we have time to talk about special parking places, Cary being too beige, lack of Louis Vuitton stores, food trucks, and houses that are too convenient to 540, shopping and grocery stores.
Ha! good point!

Old 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
I ask the same of veterans. I have no problem parking in the back bc the lot's full. And no, I'm not a space hunter. This is a case where the spaces are there and you don't know why until you pull in.
Do you not see the sign posted before you pull in? ALL of them that I have seen are clearly posted.

If you know of one that isn't clearly posted then lets contact that store and fix the problem.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
Thank-you BoBromhal and hertfordshire. I'm working on not caring what other people think but it's hard sometimes! Can't wait until I reach the 'don't give a sh*t' age!! :-D
I'm already there and it's quite liberating...

Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Do you not see the sign posted before you pull in? ALL of them that I have seen are clearly posted.

If you know of one that isn't clearly posted then lets contact that store and fix the problem.
No, there are cars on either side as you approach and there is one sign, sitting between two spaces that gets moved around, but has arrows on both sides. You don't see it until you turn into the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: