Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 04:28 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
1) How is quality of education in charter schools vs magnet schools? Aren't there some charter schools that aren't even as top notch as public schools?
2) If one is in a charter/magnet school already, can one apply via lottery to another charter/magnet school come every new school year?
3) If one moves within Wake County in the middle of school year, will they allow transfer to your new area's base school in the middle of school year?
1) yes some charter schools are crappy
2) don’t know
3) yes as long as it is not capped. But you can get into a capped school if there is room on your grade level. However some capped schools only accept new students in January regardless of when a spot opens up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 05:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
#2 You can apply to as many charter schools as you like, not sure on magnets.

Further on #1:
Just like traditional public schools there are good and bad charter schools, and they are required to take all the mandated state tests (which private schools are not). There are some really high achieving ones like Raleigh Charter and Woods Charter that are in the top ten US News' best high schools in North Carolina every year. And then there are some crappy ones just like there are crappy public schools. In theory there aren't any that are as bad as the bottom of the barrel public schools because the state will revoke their charter and they can't do that to a low performing traditional public school, but there definitely are some that are really close to the bottom of the barrel. Charter schools ARE public schools so all the data that the state collects on public schools is also there for charters. You can make your own comparison: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Old 08-30-2019, 07:17 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Do the best teachers go to charter or magnet schools? How are they chosen? How are they paid? I’ve wondered.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:02 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do the best teachers go to charter or magnet schools? How are they chosen? How are they paid? I’ve wondered.
Since magnet schools are public schools, I would presume the hiring process and pay are the same as wit non-magnet schools. There *might* be a bump in salary if you teach at a school as a part of the magnet program, but I'm doubtful.

Charter schools, like private schools, are anyone's guess as to how much they're paid.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Do the schools(Public, Private Or Charter) here teach to the test or teach to the child? For me, I prefer a curriculum that is not just focused on Math and Reading. Drilling students with items preparing them for the state exams. I want them to learn Science, History, Art, music, etc as well. I prefer that all subjects have equal importance.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Do the schools(Public, Private Or Charter) here teach to the test or teach to the child? For me, I prefer a curriculum that is not just focused on Math and Reading. Drilling students with items preparing them for the state exams. I want them to learn Science, History, Art, music, etc as well. I prefer that all subjects have equal importance.

Yes in elementary school the focus is on Math and Language Arts but all the disciplines are covered. In HS of course they are all covered equally as each class has its own period. Only three years of science are required in NC in HS to graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: