Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 08:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Tell me which other viruses have killed 460,000 people in the US in one year?
Tell me which virus is going to kill 460,000 people next year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 08:54 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So forever....gotcha. Something to look forward to I guess!

Makes complete sense since we have been doing that all along for other viruses that make people sick and cause death. Oh wait....
Quote:
Tell me which virus is going to kill 460,000 people next year
See your first post above. You want to know when restrictions will end then you make the statement above, what viruses are you comparing COVID 19 to?

Old 02-13-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
See your first post above. You want to know when restrictions will end then you make the statement above, what viruses are you comparing COVID 19 to?
Oh I don't know....flu for example? Covid with vaccine will likely have similar death rates to flu with vaccine, if not less. The vaccine has higher efficacy, but it of course relies on people taking it. It's bonkers to think we're going to have 460k deaths/year going forward.

You and many others act like Covid is just going to magically disappear some day. It won't, and people (much less than this year) will continue to die from it. So at what point do we stop living in fear of a virus that will likely kill no more than flu does in the future? We need some sort of of line drawn where we stop living like crazy people.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Oh I don't know....flu for example? Covid with vaccine will likely have similar death rates to flu with vaccine, if not less. The vaccine has higher efficacy, but it of course relies on people taking it. It's bonkers to think we're going to have 460k deaths/year going forward.

You and many others act like Covid is just going to magically disappear some day. It won't, and people (much less than this year) will continue to die from it. So at what point do we stop living in fear of a virus that will likely kill no more than flu does in the future? We need some sort of of line drawn where we stop living like crazy people.
For 100th time, COVID 19 is not the flu, why is that so impossible for you to accept! See all the posts on the other thread where this has been explained to you, over and over. Yes, at some point when we reach herd immunity this will be managed similarly to the flu. We are not there yet. So now it needs to be managed with safety precautions like masking, distance, health screenings in public and in schools - to bring this back to the topic.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
For 100th time, COVID 19 is not the flu, why is that so impossible for you to accept! See all the posts on the other thread where this has been explained to you, over and over. Yes, at some point when we reach herd immunity this will be managed similarly to the flu. We are not there yet. So now it needs to be managed with safety precautions like masking, distance, health screenings in public and in schools - to bring this back to the topic.
My God. I am not talking about this year, nor am I comparing Covid to the flu. Yes, after the vaccine is readily available I would expect the yearly death rates to be similar to the flu or less, due to the fact that the covid vaccine efficacy is far higher than the flu vaccine. Also more people will be taking the Covid vaccine, at least in the near term. These are just my guesses, but please let me know if you think otherwise.

I am asking you at what point and at what threshold do we stop with the precautions that we're currently taking, especially in schools. You don't have an answer for that except for "when it's gone". It's not going to be gone - sorry to be the one to break it to you. So I guess according to Sal_M we should continue doing what we're doing for the rest of our lives.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:31 AM

75 posts, read 126,176 times
Quote:
I am asking you at what point and at what threshold do we stop with the precautions that we're currently taking, especially in schools. .
With ~50 million shots in the US, probably a lot closer then consensus science estimates of fall. If all those shots went into the arms of the at risk populations (they didn’t), there would be a compelling case already that 90% plus of future hospitalizations have been prevented. Over the next month - maybe that number gets to 95%, but very questionable whether it will ever get beyond that.

While herd immunity is an ideal - given 70% of republicans believe the election was stolen - many will opt to never get the shot to trumpet-their-trump-patriotism. Some of the statisticians in the crowd can work the numbers - but given x% of the 70 million trump voters not ever getting vaccinated - I am in the April/May time frame versus the September consensus.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-in-your-state

Old 02-14-2021, 08:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
You asked him what virus he’s comparing COVID to and then you get mad when he compares it to a well known respiratory virus we deal with every year and for which there’s a vaccine.

70k cases in Wake County and around 500 deaths. Death rate is less than half of what was predicted. No one is saying this was handled well across the board and that half a million dead Americans is ok or we should drop all precautions. But when people can hang out in bars and we say that’s ok but schools can’t re-open that is a travesty.

When will it be ok for schools to re-open? It’s a simple question.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Wrong about the test! Yes, you will have to go to the doctor and if that is going to be a problem then do not go in person. Infection control protocols have been established and school personnel have to follow them. TBH, they are not trained in this area and there is no nurse at the school so yes, if your child has a symptom, they are out. School staff are not qualified to question and make a determination that a child is not not sick, a health care professional will need to do this.

My kid had 2 false high temperature reads and 2 high reads and you are out. We went to the doctor, I knew my child was not sick and they were false reads because 2 more checks were done 5 and 10 minutes later that were normal. My child had no fever, no symptoms and no exposure. A COVID test was a waste of money and resources. MD agreed and offered a note saying my child did not meet criteria for testing etc. and as long as follow up temps were normal, my child was clear to return to school. The Principal said this was ok. I sent the note and and did the follow up and my child returned to school the next day.
Glad your principal is making up rules as they go along. It also makes perfect sense that if a kid has a high temperature reading when they arrive at school they are asked to sit outside for five minutes and then they re take the temp. I’ve heard of kids registering 95* at that point. You know how stupid that is?

It’s also nice that you can afford to take your kid to the doctor for no reason - not everyone has the time and resources to do that. Also nice that you can call your principal and ask if it’s ok. How many people will do that? If you can’t admit that this entire thing is a complete non sensible farce then I don’t know what to say. I mean what’s to stop someone who actually needs their kid to go to school from dummying up a doctors note?

Any parent can send their kid to school sick. Put an ice pack on their forehead and they will not register a temp with those thermometers they use and answering those three questions is hardly a sworn affidavit- but if all of these things make you feel better good on you.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:43 AM

You also do not need to show proof of your negative test. It's all honor system as I'm sure HIPAA prevents it.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You also do not need to show proof of your negative test. It's all honor system as I'm sure HIPAA prevents it.

HIPAA only pertains to what your medical provider can release. It has nothing to do with what a person chooses to share themselves. This is a common misperception.

I know if you test positive for COVID you have to see a doctor to return to athletics. However as I noted, with my child at NC State, his roommate who had COVID was just told to isolate for 10 days. My son and the other roommate had to private negative tests to return (and they effed up those directions which I'm not even going to get in to, suffice to say not impressed with the way the state schools are handling this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary