Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2020, 12:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Yeah, I'd be surprised to see anywhere near 30 given half the kids are in VA. Some may certainly opt to come back from VA, but with the way the case numbers are going, I feel like there won't be too many current VA families wanting to jump straight back into full-time.
It doesn't really matter how many are in VA because they will only have so many teachers available to teach onsite school. The more that are in VA, the fewer teachers available. So the classes theoretically should be close to their normal size assuming there's enough kids to fill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 01:07 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Exactly why I am asking what other schools are doing. The classes are currently at about 23 kids. At full capacity they will not be at 6 feet apart. The board produced data from ABC Science collaborative at their last meeting. Part of it was about the increased secondary spread when kids do not have masks on, so they decided to eliminate mask breaks. My question is has anyone heard how their school will handle lunch when there will be 20+ kids in a classroom, less than 6 feet apart with no masks on. Each school seems to be developing their own plan.
And what I asked was, what are schools doing now with classes that are not able to social distance? It was a genuine question. If there's 23 kids in a class NOW, I would expect what ever is happening now to be even more restrictive once you get 30. There's no way a trailer with 23 kids is social distancing now. I don't know if any schools are in that position. I know DDE has the 3rd graders in trailers but even with 18 I'd imagine separation is near impossible.

If you're really interested in what neighboring schools are doing, you might get in touch with the PTA and ask. THat info is usually on the school website.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And what I asked was, what are schools doing now with classes that are not able to social distance? It was a genuine question. If there's 23 kids in a class NOW, I would expect what ever is happening now to be even more restrictive once you get 30. There's no way a trailer with 23 kids is social distancing now. I don't know if any schools are in that position. I know DDE has the 3rd graders in trailers but even with 18 I'd imagine separation is near impossible.

If you're really interested in what neighboring schools are doing, you might get in touch with the PTA and ask. THat info is usually on the school website.
I do not know of any schools that needed to reduce distancing for k-3. The schools I know of had less than 15 in a class for k-3 and once they removed all the extra bookcases and games(all the extra stuff they are not allowed to use this year) they were able to keep 6 feet. Older schools may be in a different situation but k-3 maxes out lower due to the class size mandate below 18 I believe. Most schools are not using trailers this year. Since about 50% of schools are on VA that opened additional classes in the building and this way all classes are have access to bathrooms and running water.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:11 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
Some people have opted out of VA for next semester but there are some who probably opted in for various reasons. There were kids who were VA who tried to get back in this semester, and there were kids who were Plan B that tried to stay remote. Probably a wash or close to it.
These are the numbers Keung Hui tweeted in November.
Attached Thumbnails
WCPSS Coronavirus Response-bb59bbdf-eed7-42af-9b22-7f19f3e7416e.jpeg  

Old 12-03-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
These are the numbers Keung Hui tweeted in November.
Those are irrelevant to next semester. They haven't released HS and MS numbers yet and the elementary application window is open now.

Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Those are irrelevant to next semester. They haven't released HS and MS numbers yet and the elementary application window is open now.
Those are the middle and high school numbers for next semester...they were released at the November 17 board meeting.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:42 AM

I'll be interested to see the elementary numbers....right now 2000 less students in VA at the HS and MS level is barely going to cause a blip per school. That's less than 100 kids per school opting out of VA.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:42 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
In Wake, are VA classes separate from the in-person classes for middle and high school? If so, are the classes still school based or is there some pooling of students from different schools for some classes? Just curious how it's working there. Apparently in Chapel Hill they're planning on running the classes with remote and in-person students together in the same classes.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
In Wake, are VA classes separate from the in-person classes for middle and high school? If so, are the classes still school based or is there some pooling of students from different schools for some classes? Just curious how it's working there. Apparently in Chapel Hill they're planning on running the classes with remote and in-person students together in the same classes.
High schools are all remote till next semester...therefore there is no pooling of students, but I believe WCPSS had said they wouldn't be doing that anyway.

I'm not sure about middle school - I saw a tweet by a MS teacher where she had a photo with kids in class and kids on her computer. That was a math class.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:13 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Depends on the school and the class.

Plan B in rotations can involve teaching the in person cohort and remote cohorts simultaneously, with or without VA in the mix. I’m currently teaching all 3 in the same class period.

I haven’t heard of any VA classes extending beyond the individual school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary