Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2020, 11:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Yeah, they’re definitely not calling a meeting to discuss IF, but rather HOW/WHEN. It’s unfortunate, because we’ve seen a drastic change in our kids attending in-person vs virtual. They’re so much happier and are excited to tell us what they did when they get home. They really dread the virtual instruction days. I do get it though.

Also, on the other compensation note...if we were able to vote on a property tax increase that would 100% go toward teacher salaries (all to their paychecks), I’d vote for it in a heartbeat. That’s a pipe dream I’m sure. Kind of like bailout money not going toward CEO bonuses.
I agree they are discussing when to switch to remote but i do think that now that they have reopened once, they know how to do it and it should not be as big of an ordeal to reopen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 01:57 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
If they're meeting tomorrow, voting Tuesday, and Wednesday is remote anyway, that only leaves two in-person days before Christmas break. When they return on the 4th, there's two weeks until MLK day and the end of first semester, so I assume we'll be going all remote until then and revisit closer to second-semester start.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:11 PM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
If they're meeting tomorrow, voting Tuesday, and Wednesday is remote anyway, that only leaves two in-person days before Christmas break. When they return on the 4th, there's two weeks until MLK day and the end of first semester, so I assume we'll be going all remote until then and revisit closer to second-semester start.
But what will this mean for exams?!

Still in person EOC and CTE?

Lots of uncertainty.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:34 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
But what will this mean for exams?!

Still in person EOC and CTE?

Lots of uncertainty.

Those exams are state mandated and would require a federal waiver to do remotely. As usual WCPSS is a day late and dollar short seeking the waiver. So kids who have to take those exams will have to go to school.

As in the spring kids do not have to take the teacher-made exams. They can take their grade and that's that. If they take the final and it hurts their grade it doesn't count.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Those exams are state mandated and would require a federal waiver to do remotely. As usual WCPSS is a day late and dollar short seeking the waiver. So kids who have to take those exams will have to go to school.

As in the spring kids do not have to take the teacher-made exams. They can take their grade and that's that. If they take the final and it hurts their grade it doesn't count.
Thanks, I got all that. I was wondering what this new development might mean for in person EOC and CTE exams. Maybe nothing. But it seems that odd to move fully remote at the same time that they’re dragging kids in for exams.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I got all that. I was wondering what this new development might mean for in person EOC and CTE exams. Maybe nothing. But it seems that odd to move fully remote at the same time that they’re dragging kids in for exams.
EOC and CTE are for high schoolers, and they're all remote for the semester, so whether WCPSS stays remote or not has no effect on that. Unless the middle schoolers take them too? I guess they do if memory serves.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
EOC and CTE are for high schoolers, and they're all remote for the semester, so whether WCPSS stays remote or not has no effect on that. Unless the middle schoolers take them too? I guess they do if memory serves.
MS can take an EOC (for math 1, for example), but not until May.

I teach HS. I still want to know for sure for sure that Tuesday’s vote won’t affect in person exams. The uncertainty is stressful. I’m not exactly sure what they are proposing. I guess I’ll know tomorrow.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
EOC/EOG starts in 3rd grade.

"What are End-of-Grade (EOG) and End-of-Course (EOC) tests?
The tests assess student proficiency in key subjects. All students in North Carolina take End-of-Grade reading and math tests every year in grades 3-8. Fifth and eighth graders also take an End-of-Grade science test. High school students are required to complete an End-of-Course assessment in English II, Math I and Biology. "

Old 12-13-2020, 08:16 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Chapel Hill schools have been remote, yet they are bringing in our kids for the CTE and EOC exams in mid-January. They said they have to be done in person. Our only other option is to take them in June after school ends, but our family will be at the beach that week (God, willing)

Old 12-13-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
EOC/EOG starts in 3rd grade.

"What are End-of-Grade (EOG) and End-of-Course (EOC) tests?
The tests assess student proficiency in key subjects. All students in North Carolina take End-of-Grade reading and math tests every year in grades 3-8. Fifth and eighth graders also take an End-of-Grade science test. High school students are required to complete an End-of-Course assessment in English II, Math I and Biology. "
Yeah thing is EOCs are giving in January for high schoolers because that's when their classes end. I know what the tests are. EOGs are not a factor in this discussion. Personally we are not affected by any of this because my HSer doesn't have any EOC or CTE classes.

There ARE CTE classes in middle school. And those classes are half year, so the test is given in January. That's what I was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary