Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 12:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times

Advertisements

Tune in to CNN tomorrow to have medical expert Greta Thunberg raise your Coronavirus fears!

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/12605...026368/photo/1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 12:43 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Tune in to CNN tomorrow to have medical expert Greta Thunberg raise your Coronavirus fears!

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/12605...026368/photo/1

Old 05-13-2020, 12:45 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Durham is further extending and modifying the governors orders with more rules with at best a *speculative* benefit such as wearing masks outside furthermore for the whole county.

Is it really rationale for someone walking on the sidewalk to have to wear a mask?

Most people agree the governors plan is cautious and reasonable .. in fact counties with more cases wake and meck aren't modifying that order -- why is durham?

There is decent evidence people can adapt and practice social distancing and modifying activity to bring the R0 rate below one ... the needed milestone to proceed opening.

At the end of the day there is a lack of trust of the citizenry and leadership 'decrees' not proven ideas for all the citizenry with no respect to nuance or local situation.

At the end of the day when covid found its way in nursing homes across the state to the most vulnerable in even far flung counties..when hospitals are idling...

what's the point of waiting? what are we waiting for?

If someone bothered to check i'd bet you find Durham's policy will track very well to what they're doing in NY/SF. Why?

Old 05-13-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Durham is further extending and modifying the governors orders with more rules with at best a *speculative* benefit such as wearing masks outside furthermore for the whole county.

Is it really rationale for someone walking on the sidewalk to have to wear a mask?

Most people agree the governors plan is cautious and reasonable .. in fact counties with more cases wake and meck aren't modifying that order -- why is durham?

There is decent evidence people can adapt and practice social distancing and modifying activity to bring the R0 rate below one ... the needed milestone to proceed opening.

At the end of the day there is a lack of trust of the citizenry and leadership 'decrees' not proven ideas for all the citizenry with no respect to nuance or local situation.

At the end of the day when covid found its way in nursing homes across the state to the most vulnerable in even far flung counties..when hospitals are idling...

what's the point of waiting? what are we waiting for?

Not that I can think of and I'd ask the same thing of people who wear their masks while driving....

Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Let me say this

Remember when this started -- it was "flatten the curve to stay home and prevent hospital collapse"

Now we all agree it seems to have become "stay home until cases is rapidly going down" while we expand test more and more

We don't dispute hospitals have way excess capacity so why should we accept this bait and switch? Strict lockdowns are really only rational in this context --- a hospital system collapsing --

Propose social distance protocols, provide information and data, support hospitals, facilitate testing

instead it's "idle the vast majority of population with a .02% risk of any harm while they experience the real harm of unemployment

So yes, it is authoritarian and maternalistic

Old 05-13-2020, 01:02 PM

598 posts, read 333,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

Where do they say people have to wear them outside? Maybe only if you're going to be in a group of people hanging out close together, or shopping at a farmers market or something? This was the verbage I found, which doesn't specifically say you have to wear them outside:

Quote:
Requires people to wear a clean face covering any time they are or will be in contact with other people who are not household members in public or private spaces where it is not possible to maintain social distance such as grocery stories, pharmacies, business location and public transit. While wearing the face covering, it is essential to still maintain social distance insofar as possible since social distancing is the best defense against the spread of Coronavirus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Not that I can think of and I'd ask the same thing of people who wear their masks while driving....

I only do this so I don't have to touch the mask in the car. I put it on before I leave my house and make sure it's comfortable, so I don't have to mess with it in the store. If it's still comfortable by the time I get to the store, I'm good. Then I often don't take it off until I'm back home so I don't have to touch my head before washing my hands.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
I think I said NC needs to get to 15-30K a day (which would be roughly the equivalent of nationally 1M/day) in the "what would it take to reopen" thread. Ill stick with that position. Testing is improving. That is a great thing as I said to m378.

Sure. Find the hotspots and isolate. I agree. But the beauty of this virus is the number who remain asymptomatic throughout. You won't ever find them if you go with the "80% population don't need a test" concept because because they will never be viewed as a "need to test them" meanwhile they are the brush keeping the fire going.

I said this to you before, and I realize this board ain't for that....but this story is as much political as it is a public health issue because of how the admin has approached it from the onset. Politics is how a government runs....and how a government runs during a national emergency (whether natural or man made) is a pertinent part of the story. I mean if Random Governor X cuts winter storm preparation and cleanup funding in MA and then MA gets smoked by the Blizzard of '78....that Governor's actions is the story just as much as the snow storm. Same principle applies here.

As I said to JONOV (I think, maybe it was Sal) yesterday, Rolling Stone has an article in the June issue that basically turns the Fed response starting at the very beginning into a timeline like they did in the show Chernobyl. Using government agency emails (plus the backgrounds of the department heads as officials) they piece together where the balls were dropped. Many may find it "inconvenient truths" and thus "fake news" but it is a doozy of a read.

I can't answer that. It's a great question. Maybe our supply chains aren't as great as we would like to think or hope they are.
Since the first google results I find are no newer than Apr 24, it's very hard to get on the asymptomatic %. It's certainly why we should all continue to limit prolonged contact, social distancing, and good hygiene (which includes masks). Asymptomatic is as "low" as "up to 25%" (which is a huge range) and as high as 50% (of tests in Iceland as of early April).

You're completely right of course about the proverbial "Governor in northern state that actually slashes their snow-remediation budget." You know it's going to happen every year, you know how much it costs in the average of the last 3 years, etc. Conversely, I understand why NJ/NY was so unprepared for Sandy. If you've got to stockpile a large monetary and physical stuff for a once a century event - and those goods have to be replaced every 20 years - the citizenry is going to be mad that you "paid" for that hurricane 4x before it ever happened.

As to Rolling Stone, as far as I know they've not recovered their journalistic integrity and fairness since Charlottesville. If it's the "Four men responsible" on their website, I'll read the whole thing but it's carefully-crafted in the beginning to tell us Trump screwed up and all the blame lies there. It sets the narrative early; perhaps it is thorough after a while but one thing I have learned (again) is the paucity of folks who read beyond a headline and lede

Nevermind Patty Murray claiming the health system was overwhelmed (it never was), there's this:

Quote:
Defeating an invisible enemy like the coronavirus requires working diagnostics. But when the CDC’s original test kit failed, there was no Plan B. The nation’s private-sector biomedical establishment is world-class, but the administration kept these resources cordoned behind red tape as the CDC foundered.
Does "let's follow the rules" or "honor the red tape" or even "We can't trust private business" sound like Trump?

What about Ron Klain?

Quote:
On October 17, 2014, Klain was appointed the "Ebola response coordinator" or, less officially, Ebola "czar." His appointment was criticized because Klain, according to Julie Hirschfeld Davis writing in The New York Times, had "no record or expertise in Ebola specifically or public health in general". Klain's term as Ebola response coordinator ended in February 2015.
He'd been back in private lobbying life for 3 years; his claim to government fame was chief of staff for Gore and Biden before that. So in 5 months he became an expert on public health? And we're supposed to take this as gospel?

Quote:
“We had ample notice to get our country ready,” says Ron Klain, who served as President Obama’s Ebola czar, and lists the rolling out of testing, securing protective equipment, and building up hospital capacity as necessary preventative steps. “We spent all of January and February doing none of those things, and as a result, when this disease really exploded in March, we weren’t prepared.”
So, to go back to preparedness - if we had a bunch of PPE that expired a decade ago, and we hadn't replenished the stockpile since 2009 - that's the CDC's fault and can't be pinned on the 3 yr occupant of the WH. I haven't "blamed" Obama or any of his actions, just as I personally think it's wrong to dislike Trump so much to blame it all on him. There are people in place across administrations that are supposed to be scientists, not partisans. Where was the department in charge of maintaining the stockpile? Was there or not an annual budget for replacement? What was put in the "playbook" - and already put into place - logistically to gather tests from millions of people? A "playbook" that says "if it happens, the CDC can't handle all the tests, so you need partnerships in place and oh by the way, different companies operate very differently with materials." but didn't actually PUT THAT IN PLACE isn't a very good playbook (since we had a decade after H1N1).

Old 05-13-2020, 01:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 660,563 times
Quote:
Ha, ha. Guilty as charged. Sometimes I have my mask on while driving to the grocery store. It's just down the street. Want to be ready to quickly hop into the store. Just convenience for me. You must have passed me on the way to HT the other day.....

Old 05-13-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Ha, ha. Guilty as charged. Sometimes I have my mask on while driving to the grocery store. It's just down the street. Want to be ready to quickly hop into the store. Just convenience for me. You must have passed me on the way to HT the other day.....

LOL.

I certainly get the convenience side of it for sure.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:54 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Do you people who wear masks all the time wear glasses? I tried a trick I learned to not fog up my glasses but it didn't work that well (use shaving cream). I sure wish I wore contacts right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary