Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
That looks like something very fun to have right off I-95.

I-95 @ I-40 would do huge business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 06:39 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
I don't think Buc-ee's would have chosen the site if they didn't feel it'd be profitable. There's a ton of traffic going by that location every single day, and it's by no means all local.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uzR3l2UTwGk

Looks pretty nice to me also is just about a grocery store / hot food to go concept

Efland hardly has a grocery store and between the commerce and tax revenue seems like a loss

I think oc gov knows these things why they asked for things to assuage the.community like ev stations but bucees didn't want to be hen pecked to death so they backed out first
While I could do without all the Buc-ee's kitsch, I'm not gonna lie, I would love to come across a place like this when on a road trip with the family. I could also see the draw for some locals as well, especially when there's not much else around.

Also, since it can serve so many cars and has an area people can spend time, it seems like it would be perfectly suited to eventually converting to an EV charging station if we ever get to that point.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:35 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I-95 @ I-40 would do huge business.
Efland is 40 and 85 merged right I doubt a 40 commuter would get on 95 just to go to bucees and vice versa

I'm sure they'll get to 95 though the thing about lumberton is south of the border is there

Old 02-09-2021, 11:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Not my cup of tea. I know Texas likes everything bigger and better, though. If I have to stop at a gas station I just want to get my gas, maybe a snack and use the restroom. I don't want to make a whole experience out of it, but people in Texas seem to love them. I just do not think I am their target market. For the record, I don't stop at the big truck stops near Burlington or South of the Border either. (I think it has been more than 20 yrs since I have stopped at SOB.)

FWIW, the News of Orange has a couple of articles about it. (The News Of Orange is a news site for northern Orange County, not Chapel Hill and Carrboro). One piece said that 400 Efland residents signed the petition against it and Google tells me Efland only has a population of 668 people, so that's over half the immediate community. I think it was pretty controversial, but I just don't think it was the right thing for the area.

Old 02-09-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Not my cup of tea. I know Texas likes everything bigger and better, though. If I have to stop at a gas station I just want to get my gas, maybe a snack and use the restroom. I don't want to make a whole experience out of it, but people in Texas seem to love them. I just do not think I am their target market. For the record, I don't stop at the big truck stops near Burlington or South of the Border either. (I think it has been more than 20 yrs since I have stopped at SOB.)
I don't think they were necessarily looking for people to drive over from Chapel Hill, although I'd stop there for gas or whatever if I was going by since there's not much on that stretch. But people coming down 95 to 85 or driving west down 40 might be looking for a place to take a break, stretch their legs, use the bathroom, and get something for everyone to eat. Seems like a good spot for that. I know when we're driving north, we always look forward to hitting those rest areas in Maryland and Delaware that have gas plus all the food places and lots of bathrooms.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:06 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't like those places wherever I am in the country. Don't really see the attraction, so I think I am not their target consumer. I like a nice clean medium size new looking gas station, maybe 10-12 pumps or so. Pump the gas, grab a drink and some chips, in and out and I'm done. I don't need to linger over gas station food or souvenirs. I would usually prefer to get my food somewhere else like Panera. I will do Sheetz food once in awhile, but it's not my favorite road trip food. I've never been to a Wawa or Bucc-ees, but they both definitely have their devotees so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:12 PM

I dunno it's rare to see travel centers this big that aren't truck stops as well and so you get the weird truck stop stuff of dudes hanging out waiting to shower or sleeping out back. This looks clean, bright, lots of customer ameneties

It had a decent amount of schlock but efland doesn't have much local options but they deserve a place to buy a hat or charcoal briquettes

But obviously this isn't here to primarily serve the community but the interstate driver and the tax revenue wouldn't benefit efland so much either but schools

I'm sure efland residents all 50 of them love their bucolic ruralness but residents are hardly entitled to say what happens on property they don't own. It's not like this was even zoned residential

Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 PM

From a N/O article last year

"
An Orange County Economic Development report last week noted the $40 million Efland project could bring up to 200 full-time jobs and $25 million in annual retail sales, potentially generating $1 million in property and sales tax revenues for the county. The state also could see $1 million in sales taxes and $6.5 million in gas tax revenues, it said.

More jobs and sales and property tax revenues are anticipated from the second, future phase of the project.

The undeveloped land now generates just $428.78 in property tax revenues for Orange County, because its listed as agricultural."

Congrats to orange county

Old 02-09-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I don't like those places wherever I am in the country. Don't really see the attraction, so I think I am not their target consumer. I like a nice clean medium size new looking gas station, maybe 10-12 pumps or so. Pump the gas, grab a drink and some chips, in and out and I'm done. I don't need to linger over gas station food or souvenirs. I would usually prefer to get my food somewhere else like Panera. I will do Sheetz food once in awhile, but it's not my favorite road trip food. I've never been to a Wawa or Bucc-ees, but they both definitely have their devotees so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.
One stop. That's the main attraction for me anyway. I have zero interest in making a bunch of separate stops when I'm on a road trip with my family. We can go to Panera when we get where we're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary