Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:27 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

If it pulls traffic from Kildaire location, the restaurants, shops, and Staples clientele may be able to find a parking spot on the first pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 06:59 AM

386 posts, read 436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Hmm. I've been to the Cary store and the Raleigh store quite a few times since this started. My experience has been tge opposite. I've found that Costco and TJ's were enforcing the highest level of safety of anywhere I've shopped. ALWAYS counting and limiting the number of people entering the store. Refusing entry to anyone who wouldn't wear a mask. I've witnessed both the costco and TJ's in Raleigh kick people out who took their masks off.

I will agree that the Walmart in morrisville (Shiloh Glenn road) is considerably better than tge one in Brier creek. Not only covid compliance; that store is better in ALL aspects.

As fun as it may be to bring up race and make fun of Cary moms (wait, is it?), I can vouch for the Cary store's covid/mask compliance. They are one of the few places (at least as of a couple weeks ago) were still using the "bouncer" approach, letting one person in as one left, rolling a sprayed cart to you to use, etc..

But anything to release the pressure on that store is a good thing so I'm pumped about the new TJ's. As has been mentioned, parking is insane in that little shopping center.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:08 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
As fun as it may be to bring up race and make fun of Cary moms (wait, is it?), I can vouch for the Cary store's covid/mask compliance. They are one of the few places (at least as of a couple weeks ago) were still using the "bouncer" approach, letting one person in as one left, rolling a sprayed cart to you to use, etc..

But anything to release the pressure on that store is a good thing so I'm pumped about the new TJ's. As has been mentioned, parking is insane in that little shopping center.

There is a theory that TJ's always picks the sites with the worst possible parking. I have probably shopped in 10-12 different TJ's in my life (in 4-5 states), each had a parking nightmare. The only one I liked was in my Denver neighborhood -- just because it literally was .3 miles from my house and I never drove there. I always picked up stuff that fit in a grocery bag, and it was a pleasant shopping experience. Had I driven there, I wouldn't ever go back. People used to get into nasty arguments over parking spots during busy hours.

Maybe TJ's thinks that everyone should walk to their stores. I dunno but here is one explanation though.

Parking lots at Trader Joe’s: Like a case study in primate aggression, an elaborate car insurance fraud scheme, or proof that evil really is banal.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:35 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
There is a theory that TJ's always picks the sites with the worst possible parking. I have probably shopped in 10-12 different TJ's in my life (in 4-5 states), each had a parking nightmare. The only one I liked was in my Denver neighborhood -- just because it literally was .3 miles from my house and I never drove there. I always picked up stuff that fit in a grocery bag, and it was a pleasant shopping experience. Had I driven there, I wouldn't ever go back. People used to get into nasty arguments over parking spots during busy hours.

Maybe TJ's thinks that everyone should walk to their stores. I dunno but here is one explanation though.

Parking lots at Trader Joe’s: Like a case study in primate aggression, an elaborate car insurance fraud scheme, or proof that evil really is banal.
Every parking space built that is unused is wasted unproductive space that the business can't utilize. I guess there's something to be said for Trader Joe's knowing exactly what their demand is and not wasting space in that regard. (If you've been to Aldi, they try and cut costs in every regards - this seems to be somewhat similar)

Old 02-16-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Every parking space built that is unused is wasted unproductive space that the business can't utilize. I guess there's something to be said for Trader Joe's knowing exactly what their demand is and not wasting space in that regard. (If you've been to Aldi, they try and cut costs in every regards - this seems to be somewhat similar)

True. Especially after Covid, there are probably going to be a lot of space to park anywhere at large grocery stores. I can't imagine everyone going back to in-person shopping. At least some percentage of those who tried the curbside pickup or the prime delivery will probably stick with it.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:13 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
True. Especially after Covid, there are probably going to be a lot of space to park anywhere at large grocery stores. I can't imagine everyone going back to in-person shopping. At least some percentage of those who tried the curbside pickup or the prime delivery will probably stick with it.
Definitely one of the few bright sides of Covid - it has made curbside pickup much more useable at lots of places. I never go into Target anymore, rarely into Home Depot/Lowes, only into the grocery store for one-off things. I wish Walmart would get with the program.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:17 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Definitely one of the few bright sides of Covid - it has made curbside pickup much more useable at lots of places. I never go into Target anymore, rarely into Home Depot/Lowes, only into the grocery store for one-off things. I wish Walmart would get with the program.
Yeah curbside pickup is great - why go into the store and wander around for an hour looking for stuff (some you don't need) when you can order online and then just pick it up.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:01 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I never understood the appeal of TJ's but I agree with ncrunner, it will crush it there. Everyone around where I live wanted TJ's where the Lidl is on the corner of Highway 55 and Green Level, and this is much more convenient for those people than the one on Kildaire Farm Rd.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
This is great news. We were thinking TJs would be a perfect fit there -given the demographics. There are a significant amount of apartments in that area with young singles, young couples, young families, and newly arrived families; also, a fair amount of senior living in area too. TJs, with their plethora of convenient "smaller portion" pre-packaged goods, caters to all these folks. Kind of opposite of Costco -which caters to the SUV driving "soccer mom" families of 4-5 with kids aged 5-15. Similar to Costco though, TJs has a bit of a cult following.

We love TJs. Lots of fun unique items (chocolate covered cream puffed figs [OMG] and advent calendars during the holidays -note, their advent calendars sell out in days). It is a fun place to go -"find the stuffed squirrel in the store and get a treat/prize" for the littles..... plenty of stickers too -including scratch and sniffs! They are originally a proud West Coast company and continue a bit of that funky-fun-mellow-chill-Hakuna-Matata type vibe.... what ever you call it........we dig it..... has never grown old with us. The company also has the reputation of treating their employees very well -especially compared to other grocers/retailers. I have heard it is very difficult (competitive) to get a job there.

I think (know) TJs is going to "crush it" there. Will be interesting to see what other companies "tag along" to "orbit" the TJs. Again, like Costco, and I guess like Wegmans, TJs has a cult following and will "bring the crowds" pretty much where ever they go -thus prompting other companies/stores to "cozy up" next to them. It can be transformative for a shopping center -look how it "turned around" the Shoppes at Kildaire; not that Park West needs to be "turned around" but it could spur some new unique desirable shops that might not be without the coat-tails of a TJs.

In short, a great catch, that makes a lot of sense, for this shopping center and area of Cary-Morrisville.

Trader Joe's definitely brings a different type of clientele. It's young, well off, and somewhat adventures. You have to know what spinakopita or turkish delights are, or have to crave a mango habanero salsa to head out to Trader Joe's. It definitely adds a different dynamic to the neighborhood. The Chapel Hill location really shows that -- on one side of the road you have Trader Joe's, Chopped or Chipotle, the outdoor equipment store (which I really like), Guglehuff bakery, and some Birkinstock shoe store, and they all just seems to go well together. The other side of the road -- not so much. I think there is a Food Lyon or Walmart, I do not think it gets as much foot (car) traffic as this side does. I might be wrong -- just something I've observed.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:20 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's definitely brings a different type of clientele. It's young, well off, and somewhat adventures. You have to know what spinakopita or turkish delights are, or have to crave a mango habanero salsa to head out to Trader Joe's. It definitely adds a different dynamic to the neighborhood. The Chapel Hill location really shows that -- on one side of the road you have Trader Joe's, Chopped or Chipotle, the outdoor equipment store (which I really like), Guglehuff bakery, and some Birkinstock shoe store, and they all just seems to go well together. The other side of the road -- not so much. I think there is a Food Lyon or Walmart, I do not think it gets as much foot (car) traffic as this side does. I might be wrong -- just something I've observed.
Walmart in Chapel Hill town limits?!?! Blasphemy! It's a Food Lion across the road. One reason that side of the road gets a little less traffic is just the barrier 15-501 creates for a lot of people and that awkward intersection. But you are correct that Eastgate where TJs is is bougier than the shopping center on the other side. However, it's always been that way. The TJs location was where Southern Season used to be way back and if memory serves it was an Earth Fare after that. TJs has certainly helped with the cachet though, and I'm sure having one makes certain areas more appealing for other businesses with similar clientele.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary