Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 11:28 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I would think it will definitely help the shops in the section nearby, where the Pier 1 has closed. Should be a big enough draw that the mattress store completely blocking it from view from the east won’t be such a problem.
TJ's knows it's hot stuff, and does not pay more than it has to; they're known to take difficult (but cheap) spaces and make them work. Hence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
There is a theory that TJ's always picks the sites with the worst possible parking.
They know that their customers will put up with it.

(FWIW, the entire Pier 1 chain went under, not specific to that location.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Walmart in Chapel Hill town limits?!?! Blasphemy! It's a Food Lion across the road. One reason that side of the road gets a little less traffic is just the barrier 15-501 creates for a lot of people and that awkward intersection. But you are correct that Eastgate where TJs is is bougier than the shopping center on the other side. However, it's always been that way. The TJs location was where Southern Season used to be way back and if memory serves it was an Earth Fare after that. TJs has certainly helped with the cachet though, and I'm sure having one makes certain areas more appealing for other businesses with similar clientele.

That makes sense. I do not think I have ever been to Southern Season. My coworkers talk about it, but I figured it probably was like Foster's? Like you can find literally everything in one place, food, pickles, books, sewing supplies, hats and probably even tractor oil. I actually do not mind it, I can walk around and check things out. If you have ever watched Portlandia, there is an episode called "We can pickle that!"... I usually walk around picking random things, looking at my partner and going "we can pickle THAT!" Based on the eye-rolls I've been getting pre-Covid, that was getting pretty old though.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:11 PM

364 posts, read 120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
That would be great, I think the population in that area is better about mask wearing ! Last time I went to Trader Joe’s in Cary it was jam packed with white privilege Kovid Karens and their maskless brats. My Super Walmart has far far better mask compliance, which is interesting.
Wow, so much wrong with this take.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:57 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
TJ's knows it's hot stuff, and does not pay more than it has to; they're known to take difficult (but cheap) spaces and make them work. Hence:

They know that their customers will put up with it.

(FWIW, the entire Pier 1 chain went under, not specific to that location.)
Understand about Pier 1, but it was a draw to that section of the shopping center, as well as Earth Fare, so I imagine traffic has been down around there. I, sure TJs will help the other shops as I imagine overflow parking will end up around that corner. As TJ stores go, the parking there should be pretty decent because of that.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:32 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
Park West is a great example for how to do a development, and I'm sure helped Cary Mall fail.
  • Very walk-able, wide sidewalks.
  • Loads of housing on premises
  • National chains-only for tenants
  • Greenway behind Target!
Only goof they made was the small parking lot over by all the restaurants. During pre-COVID that small lot was a zoo at lunch hour with all the nearby Weston Pkwy office folks looking for lunch.

TJ's at that location will probably set sales records.

Morrisville's PD Traffic dept. will no doubt watch that adjoining 35-MPH Morrisville Pkwy!

Old 02-16-2021, 08:06 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Park West is a great example for how to do a development, and I'm sure helped Cary Mall fail.
  • Very walk-able, wide sidewalks.
  • Loads of housing on premises
  • National chains-only for tenants
  • Greenway behind Target!
Only goof they made was the small parking lot over by all the restaurants. During pre-COVID that small lot was a zoo at lunch hour with all the nearby Weston Pkwy office folks looking for lunch.

TJ's at that location will probably set sales records.

Morrisville's PD Traffic dept. will no doubt watch that adjoining 35-MPH Morrisville Pkwy!
Eh, it could have been way better if they hadn’t bowed to the Preston whiners who now shop there all the time.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:37 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Trader Joe's definitely brings a different type of clientele. It's young, well off, and somewhat adventures. You have to know what spinakopita or turkish delights are, or have to crave a mango habanero salsa to head out to Trader Joe's. It definitely adds a different dynamic to the neighborhood. The Chapel Hill location really shows that -- on one side of the road you have Trader Joe's, Chopped or Chipotle, the outdoor equipment store (which I really like), Guglehuff bakery, and some Birkinstock shoe store, and they all just seems to go well together. The other side of the road -- not so much. I think there is a Food Lyon or Walmart, I do not think it gets as much foot (car) traffic as this side does. I might be wrong -- just something I've observed.
Now that is interesting. Here in Greenville, SC, we see our share of young, affluent moms with kids, but thee are an awful lot of older people like us, and a few of the cashiers often appear to be at least in their 70s.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:25 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,541,086 times
semi-related:

https://notthebee.com/article/watch-...er-their-store

Old 02-18-2021, 01:05 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Makes me want to spend even more money at Trader Joe's.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
semi-related:
Too bad about where that links to, but it was interesting to see how completely deranged, arrogant, and self-centered the maskless marauders were and sad to see that they're reproducing. Way to go to the TJs employees for staying as calm as they did! Hope the ones that confiscated the food and gave them all the finger got bonuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary