Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 09:31 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,767,024 times

Advertisements

Light rain in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 09:48 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This was FAR from "biblical". In Wilmington and some of the eastern parts of NC they were literally hosing fish off the interstate after Hurricane Florence dumped over 30 inches of rain. So your paltry 2 or 3 inches? Definitely not "biblical" in context.
eh, I've noticed since moving to the south, that summer rains often come fast and hard at a level that, while not unseen elsewhere, isn't as common.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:56 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
eh, I've noticed since moving to the south, that summer rains often come fast and hard at a level that, while not unseen elsewhere, isn't as common.
Yeah, that’s really what I was trying to say. It’s not the amount of rain, it’s the amount over a very short time period. Yesterday that 1.5-2” came down in about 30 minutes. One of my neighbor’s kids soccer ball floated into my yard.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:17 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Hmm, monsoon here? Or is it just afternoon showers?
What came down in the afternoon was certainly closer to a monsoon than a shower. I recently had some landscaping work done that resulted in some bare areas that needed repairing via additional dirt/reseeding. I am glad I got it done it time to watch the rain wash it all away.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:01 AM

1,204 posts, read 779,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
What came down in the afternoon was certainly closer to a monsoon than a shower. I recently had some landscaping work done that resulted in some bare areas that needed repairing via additional dirt/reseeding. I am glad I got it done it time to watch the rain wash it all away.

Ahh, okay. I thought we had official monsoon. It's just NC, in my opinion, when it rains it pours. Price we pay for all the trees and lushness. I live in Durham and have no idea what you are guys are talking about. We had light rain and that was it.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Yeah, that’s really what I was trying to say. It’s not the amount of rain, it’s the amount over a very short time period. Yesterday that 1.5-2” came down in about 30 minutes. One of my neighbor’s kids soccer ball floated into my yard.
Again, not really unusual IMO. You were asking if it was unusual or if it might happen 4 or 5 times a year. I'm saying it is closer to happening 4 or 5 times a year than being unusual. If we get walloped by actual hurricane force winds or get double digits of rain in 24 hrs that is more unusual. 2 or 3 inches in an hour is a lot, make no mistake, but it's not unusual. Happens several times a summer in my experience.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:04 PM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I think downpour is probably a more accurate term. People use the term monsoon when talking about brief periods of very heavy rain, but it's not really a correct usage.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:22 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I think downpour is probably a more accurate term. People use the term monsoon when talking about brief periods of very heavy rain, but it's not really a correct usage.
I guess I picked up using the term from my brother, who was stationed at DaNang. He saw the real monsoons.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,259,719 times
For "Biblical" amounts of rain, I'd expect 40 days and 40 nights. When Hurricane Matthew (I think) came through a few years ago it was 4 days and night of rain. Even at 1/10th of the time, it was a disaster for the area.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,343,379 times
A couple of years ago we had a spring storm that dumped several inches in one hour. It was so bad, it overwhelmed the storm drain. It caused water to back up all over my neighbors front lawn and his house looked like it was lakefront property. It was crazy! I have been here 8 years that was only time I saw it that bad. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary