Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 06:30 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,128 times

Advertisements

Obviously I know it was the edge of a tropical storm, but between 2-4pm today was downright scary. We got so much rain in one hour that I was worried our crawl space was going to flood. Was today downright crazy or is it just me? Trying to make sure this was an exception vs something that might happen 4-5 times a year. I’m in SE Apex btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 06:33 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,489,331 times
Here in CH it was off and on moderate rain all day with a few bouts of "heavy-ish" blasts that would last for a few minutes. Not sure I'd even call it the most intense rain we've had just in the last month or so let alone "exceptional"

Old 06-20-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Here in CH it was off and on moderate rain all day with a few bouts of "heavy-ish" blasts that would last for a few minutes. Not sure I'd even call it the most intense rain we've had just in the last month or so let alone "exceptional"
Triangle is a big area I guess! You clearly experienced much less than we did “down here”. I think we got 2+ inches in an hour.

EDIT: Just checked the rainfall totals and our swath through Holly Springs/Apex/South Cary is deep red/purple, CH is green. Looks like areas SW of Raleigh got hit hard.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:51 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Obviously I know it was the edge of a tropical storm, but between 2-4pm today was downright scary. We got so much rain in one hour that I was worried our crawl space was going to flood. Was today downright crazy or is it just me? Trying to make sure this was an exception vs something that might happen 4-5 times a year. I’m in SE Apex btw.
We didn't get a lot in North Raleigh - at least, not my part of North Raleigh as it covers a large amount of land. Weather in the triangle always seems to be localized - some areas get more severe weather, others less.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:01 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times
Not a whole lot here near North Hills. I’ve definitely seen worst storms.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:19 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
We didn't get that much (if anything) after late morning. Definitely not the worst I have seen either. Everything is local around here - this storm has stayed a bit to the south.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:21 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times
A lot of storms around here are definitely localized. A few years ago a storm came through my neighborhood that snapped power poles and brought down trees - if you went over a few blocks there was no evidence that such a storm had occurred.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:37 PM

Thanks all. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. We experienced the same back in STL. Tornado would cause major damage 5 miles away from us, while we’d get a little rain.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:02 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
I'm in Cary and there were a couple of periods of very heavy rain, but they didn't last too long. Typically when we get remnants of a tropical depression or storm, we can get a full day of steady, fairly heavy rain.

Today I didn't get any emergency alerts about flash flooding on my phone, so it wasn't too bad.

If you're concerned about your basement flooding, you might want to consider a sump pump.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:28 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're concerned about your basement flooding, you might want to consider a sump pump.
I don't think basement flooding is a big concern in the triangle. We don't have many basements, and Almost all of the ones we do are sunlight basements, with a strong slope toward the back of the yard. Maybe some poorly graded lots have an issue, but I think homes in flood planes are a bigger concern for flooding than basement lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary