Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 02:01 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times

Advertisements

You can also get lounge access when you're flying international in business class on many airlines, even at their partner airlines lounges. For example, when I fly business class to Germany on United, I get United Club access when I layover at Dulles or Newark, and then also get Lufthansa lounge access when I arrive in Frankfurt, Munich, or Berlin.

Similarly, when I fly business class on American, I get lounge access at British Airways lounges at London Heathrow when I stop over there and then from there if i'm traveling on a One World Alliance airline such as QATAR or Iberia, I also get access to their lounge in my arrival city. BTW most international lounges make US airport lounges look sick.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 06-28-2021 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 02:19 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
You can also get lounge access when you're flying international in business class on many airlines, even at their partner airlines lounges. For example, when I fly business class to Germany on United, I get United Club access when I layover at Dulles or Newark, and then also get Lufthansa lounge access when I arrive in Frankfurt, Munich, or Berlin.

Similarly, when I fly business class on American, I get lounge access at British Airways lounges at London Heathrow when I stop over there and then from there if i'm traveling on a One World Alliance airline such as QATAR or Iberia, I also get access to their lounge in my arrival city. BTW most international lounges make US airport lounges look sick.
lounges in the US are trash. I rarely go to them anymore because they are such a waste of money.

I rather take the $70 and actually get a nice meal or something, go to the club in my new city Im in.. instead of sitting in some stuffy lounge at random airports with cook to order omelets.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:39 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I've been an Admirals Club member (AA) for over 30 years. While I was a Concierge Key, it was free but most of the time I've paid for it.
  • It is a more comfortable place to sit while waiting to board.
  • I seldom eat anything in a club and usually drink only tea or water, but it is available (and if you're connecting from one flight to another and neither flight has meal service, it comes in handy). This is particularly helpful in the international transfer areas of some airports where you don't have free access to the full concourse.
  • The restrooms are close and you don't have to schlep your bags to them.
  • Most of the clubs at international airports, including RDU, have showers. If you're traveling to India, Australia, etc it's nice to have these available. Note that if you flying in the front cabin internationally, you can get access without having to be a club member.
  • The agents at the front desk of the club are among the best in the system. They will do things for you, like rebooking around cancellations, that the average gate agent or front counter agent who is badly overworked cannot or will not do. The smartphone apps don't let you do what the club agents can do.
  • The club agents are prepared to do unusual things. I've had them arrange a doctor's appointment in an unfamiliar city. Good luck with that if you approach a gate agent or a front counter agent.
  • If you do want to eat on the concourse or at a nearby hotel, the club agents can advise you on where to go (or more importantly, where not to go).
  • The Wifi is almost always better than what's available in the gate areas.
  • You can get use your laptop at a desk instead of literally keeping it on your lap. This helps when you're doing real work.
  • Although the clubs can get busy, on the whole they are quieter than the concourse and the gate areas. Again, if you're in air 10-20 hours per week (and I was), this makes a difference.
  • If you're at the top of the frequent flyer pyramid, you get invited in a separate area of the club that has better food, better seating, etc. These are generally available at the international gateways like JFK.
  • If there is a weather delay like snow, seating in the gate areas and concourses quickly fill up. I don't like sitting on the floor. The club agents keep the club members better informed about what's going on.

It's true that a domestic Admirals Club is nowhere near as nice as the JAL lounges at Narita or the Cathay Pacific lounges at Hong Kong.

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 06-29-2021 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 07:25 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
For those prices I'd almost expect a separate hookah/opium den, dancers, and a masseuse.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
For those prices I'd almost expect a separate hookah/opium den, dancers, and a masseuse.
Some international lounges do offer those sorts of amenities.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Outside of the US it is more common than not.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:42 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I'll share a story about the JAL first class Sakura lounge at Narita. I stopped in the lounge for a few hours, then took my connecting flight to Taiwan. Upon arrival I noticed that my car keys (the car parked at RDU) were missing. Wasn't sure what had happened to them, but I thought perhaps they had fallen out of my computer bag while I was in the Narita lounge.

Six weeks later I was back at Narita in the same lounge. Without seriously expecting to see my keys again, I told the story to the front desk agent who spoke excellent English. Thirty minutes later, my keys were brought to me on a silver platter by an attendant wearing white gloves. They had been found, tagged, and stored the day I left them.

Only in Japan.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I'll share a story about the JAL first class Sakura lounge at Narita. I stopped in the lounge for a few hours, then took my connecting flight to Taiwan. Upon arrival I noticed that my car keys (the car parked at RDU) were missing. Wasn't sure what had happened to them, but I thought perhaps they had fallen out of my computer bag while I was in the Narita lounge.

Six weeks later I was back at Narita in the same lounge. Without seriously expecting to see my keys again, I told the story to the front desk agent who spoke excellent English. Thirty minutes later, my keys were brought to me on a silver platter by an attendant wearing white gloves. They had been found, tagged, and stored the day I left them.

Only in Japan.
I dropped my keys in a Bar Louie and three minutes later i see like four people beeping my car and running towards it. They tried convincing me it was their car.

Only in America.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:38 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Do people have long layovers/are there many connecting flights at all at RDU?

I feel like it's more of an arrival/departure point. Hasn't been a hub since Midway went belly-up in early 2000s. The primary "demand" for a lounge is for those "stuck" at the airport for an extended layover no?

Old 06-30-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Do people have long layovers/are there many connecting flights at all at RDU?

I feel like it's more of an arrival/departure point. Hasn't been a hub since Midway went belly-up in early 2000s. The primary "demand" for a lounge is for those "stuck" at the airport for an extended layover no?
Its mostly OD and business pax.

I do know some people do connect on misconnects through RDU on AA on rare occasions. Especially for that LHR flight if the one in CLT or PHL cancels.

Id say the lounge is more for business passengers whose flights are delayed a while and those who are just so oddly obsessed with going to a lounge and arriving to the airport 3 hours prior to use it. I work with someone who just cannot be away from the lounges. He cites BUSINESS. its like okay bud lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary