Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 09:08 AM

1,204 posts, read 784,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Do people have long layovers/are there many connecting flights at all at RDU?

I feel like it's more of an arrival/departure point. Hasn't been a hub since Midway went belly-up in early 2000s. The primary "demand" for a lounge is for those "stuck" at the airport for an extended layover no?

Agreed. It's such an easy to navigate area so why sit at a stuffy lounge breathing recycled air when you can get out and do something outside. Even if you have 3-4 hour layover you can get out, grab something decent to eat and get back.

Layovers are fun, who needs a lounge pass -- jk, I know business travelers do. Last time I had 8 hour layover in Istanbul and had so much fun. I usually do not do touristy stuff but there was a free sightseeing shuttle provided by the airlines, so I took it. I even went to Hagia Sophia and I am glad I did cause that little dick-tator Erdogan is now fighting tooth and nail to reclassify it as a mosque. On that 3-4 hour sightseeing trip, I saw more of Instanbul than I ever had before when I went on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 09:19 AM

4,291 posts, read 4,744,915 times
Pretty much. You'll see people whose business in the Triangle finished earlier than expected or have a flight later than their fellow travelers, so they're killing time in the lounge. Back when American was flying to LHR you'd see people waiting for that flight because the minimum airport check-in time for AA int'l flights is 60 minutes. You'll see people who have to do a conference call before they board and find the gate areas too noisy. Delayed/canceled flights are another reason, and sometimes the cancellation isn't an RDU departure but a connection that would have been made through DFW and the re-route is through CLT (for example).

And yes there are lounge lizards who just like it.

Old 06-30-2021, 03:11 PM

64 posts, read 104,236 times
You can usually find valid United one-day lounge passes on Ebay for around $30. You do need to be flying United that same day for it to be valid.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:23 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,177,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its mostly OD and business pax.

I do know some people do connect on misconnects through RDU on AA on rare occasions. Especially for that LHR flight if the one in CLT or PHL cancels.

Id say the lounge is more for business passengers whose flights are delayed a while and those who are just so oddly obsessed with going to a lounge and arriving to the airport 3 hours prior to use it. I work with someone who just cannot be away from the lounges. He cites BUSINESS. its like okay bud lol
RDU has been a connecting airport for some international flights to Paris and London that leave later in the day.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:45 AM

12,236 posts, read 8,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
RDU has been a connecting airport for some international flights to Paris and London that leave later in the day.
DL's CDG flight and AA's LHR flight are mostly O/D flights. Very little, if any, passengers on a given day will be connecting through Raleigh for those flights. They are there for business (More AAs flight to LHR) and to connect on their partner airlines through Europe via Air France/KLM in Paris on DL or through British Airways on American's LHR flight. Further, it wouldn't make sense for AA or DL connections through RDU given that most/all the airports RDU is connecting to, have flights to the CDG or LHR on DL and AA respectvely.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
DL's CDG flight and AA's LHR flight are mostly O/D flights. Very little, if any, passengers on a given day will be connecting through Raleigh for those flights. They are there for business (More AAs flight to LHR) and to connect on their partner airlines through Europe via Air France/KLM in Paris on DL or through British Airways on American's LHR flight. Further, it wouldn't make sense for AA or DL connections through RDU given that most/all the airports RDU is connecting to, have flights to the CDG or LHR on DL and AA respectvely.
How wrong you are. I have actually booked flights from NE cities that connected to flights out of RDU to Paris and London. It is not a major connection point as is the hub cities, but it does occassionally serve as a connection point for some international flights.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:37 AM

4,291 posts, read 4,744,915 times
AA routinely sends LHR-bound passengers to RDU when nonstops from AA's hubs are sold out or one of those flights is canceled.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
How wrong you are. I have actually booked flights from NE cities that connected to flights out of RDU to Paris and London. It is not a major connection point as is the hub cities, but it does occassionally serve as a connection point for some international flights.
Obviously you can connect if you want to through RDU. But the flight isnt there for you to connect. It exists for business, O/D and contract travel. According to US Dept of Transportation only 4% of RDU LHR pax on American Airlines connect.. thats like 7-8 a day. Compare that to CLT where almost 60% are connecting, or even JFK which 38% connect on AA, and thats not even a connecting airport.

You can also find the direct links to that on airliners.net under RDU Airport.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
AA routinely sends LHR-bound passengers to RDU when nonstops from AA's hubs are sold out or one of those flights is canceled.
Yep ^ thats more or less the extensivity of the connections on RDU LHR

Uncchgrad, after you fact check me on US DOT you can read about why the route is here with links in the posts here: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569187

Old 07-02-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I don't think you guys are understanding what i'm saying. I've actually searched for flights from XYZ city to London several times in the past, and found flights that connected me through RDU to Heathrow. This was not because of a cancellation nor nonstops being sold out. This was a regulary scheduled flight on AA.

Now how often and for how long they offered this route, i'm not sure, but it has been available in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary