Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 07:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We're talking about minor children here, so yeah - I expect better. Or maybe you're letting your child handle your extended warranty calls? Or the calls about you're about to be arrested by the IRS?
In most of these types of things, the law goes down to 13 years or older (this isn’t an 18 in the eyes of the law situ). Again, I’m not saying I like it. Just that is what it is. I’m right there with you wanting to change it. But short of an entity breaking the law, my issue is with the law. I’m about as big a proponent for “privacy laws” as youll find…. Knowing full well how they will directly impact my livelihood.

Quote:
You have what - a 2nd grader and a kindergartner? Maybe you should send them into the doctor alone to handle their vaccinations, talk about eating disorders, sexual habits...no? Maybe when they're older? What age would it be OK for WCPSS to ask them about that stuff for you....without you knowing it's happening?
I don’t think you have to make a juxtaposition between 7 and 5 year old to almost colleges aged kids to make your point.

My parent’s policy was open door. My mom literally blew up my spot the morning after I lost my virginity. “Guess someone had fun last night?!?!”. My parents knew everything about me. Drugs I did, girlfriends, my bout with anorexia, the cigarettes I bought and smoked, the bars I drank too much in starting in the 9th grade. My 2am curfew as a 16 year old.

Most American parents don’t have that. I mean my mother in law never taught either of her daughters about periods or tampons let alone the struggles, trials and tribulations of adolescence. The result? A rebellious experience with subpar grades, truancy, “the wrong crowds”, GEDs, no college….

Yes, my goal is to have a completely open policy with my kids. Had too much to drink at 15 at a friends? Call me no questions asked. Uncomfortable with a situation you think I’ll be mad about? Text me I’m there in 20, judgement free. Getting into boys? Let’s get some BC. Maybe you’re into girls? Cool let’s talk. Please don’t smoke. No putting **** in your veins or up your nose. I’ll teach you about THC when the time is right if you’re so included

If most American parents are closer to my in laws than my folks, who fills that gap? The idea that someone can be a completely aloof parent means they are in fact not being a parent. You don’t want schools filling the gap? Engage.

Quote:
When your kid gets a survey about their sexual orientation and how they're dealing with it, you can talk smack to me about what WCPSS is doing.
Assuming they are of appropriate age to begin to discover that part of their being, I couldn’t give a rats ass who asks em. As long as it isn’t some stasi type list for conversion therapy, I want both my kids to own who they are and be who they are, fully and at all times. My best friend from the 7th - 12th grade was openly gay for all of HS. There was no mystery. There was no need for a survey. The environment was so open and welcoming to everyone it was just what it was.

If my choices are “schools talk about it to provide an avenue for young adults to be open and informed” or the person in question feels trapped, alone and desperate…..I’m taking the former 10000000 times out of 100.

Quote:
I'm not big on censhorship. My kids watch and read what they like - just as I did - raised by conservative Catholics believe it or not. BUt I still want to be in the loop when SOMEONE ELSE is asking and taking info on MY MINOR CHILDREN and I don't know who or what is getting the info and what they're doing with it.
Of course the parents should be in the loop. I don’t disagree with your “opt IN default” is an issue point. If you took my point to be something akin to stop whining about what the school is doing…that wasn’t it. My point was if you have an issue with the “process” focus on the law that allows the process to exist in the manner that it does.

An analogy would be “I don’t have an issue with [mega wealthy dude] paying so little tax. My issue is with the law that allows him to”

The school’s survey policy is based on a law somewhere. Let’s change that law.

Sorry for the OT novel. Feel free to delete it mods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 08:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,359 times
I’ve never thought of Cary or Apex as an existential crisis kind of place, at least not by someone who voluntarily lived there. I’m probably 100% wrong with that assumption, though, having grown up in somewhat similar suburban circumstances. It’s likely harder on the kids, saddled with the irony that they have fallen into a trap that their parents have worked hard to avoid…all without the self-awareness of their parents’ failures.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjess View Post
Chapel Hill is such a lovely place. But it just seems so far from all the shopping I'd need to do.
FWIW Chapel Hill has a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and a Wegmans. Southpoint is about 10-20 minutes away depending on where in CH you are located. What shopping do you think you'd be missing out on if you were in CH?

Just out of curiosity.

Old 07-29-2021, 12:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
What TarHeelNick said. Plenty of easy shopping in Chapel Hill. Much easier than in Cary/Apex if you ask me. I was over in Raleigh yesterday and the traffic is just horrible. I can be at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in 10 minutes. There's a baby Target downtown that I can get to in 5 minutes or I can go to the big Target in 15-20 minutes. I don't do Costco, but it's about 30 minutes away.

That said Chapel Hill is really not about the shopping! It's got it's own vibe and Cary and Apex might fit your vibe better.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:53 PM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
We're talking about minor children here, so yeah - I expect better. Or maybe you're letting your child handle your extended warranty calls? Or the calls about you're about to be arrested by the IRS?

You have what - a 2nd grader and a kindergartner? Maybe you should send them into the doctor alone to handle their vaccinations, talk about eating disorders, sexual habits...no? Maybe when they're older? What age would it be OK for WCPSS to ask them about that stuff for you....without you knowing it's happening?

When your kid gets a survey about their sexual orientation and how they're dealing with it, you can talk smack to me about what WCPSS is doing.

I'm not big on censhorship. My kids watch and read what they like - just as I did - raised by conservative Catholics believe it or not. BUt I still want to be in the loop when SOMEONE ELSE is asking and taking info on MY MINOR CHILDREN and I don't know who or what is getting the info and what they're doing with it.

I do not understand what's wrong with this part. Say a kid lives in a hard core, religious/conservative family but are gay or trans and having a really hard time with it. Is it better that someone actually gets that info and possibly gets this kid some support through counseling, or just let them suffer and possibly commit suicide? I mean it's not unheard of.... the suicide rate among LGBTQ kids is still pretty high. You could say whatever about yourself and your family, but not everyone is your family and there are kids out there who truly suffer.

How else you are supposed to find out if the kid is having food insecurities, being abused physically or sexually, or having suicidal thoughts? I am just genuinely interested what your solution is. Talk to parents who could possibly be the source of all of those things?

Old 07-29-2021, 02:03 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
What TarHeelNick said. Plenty of easy shopping in Chapel Hill. Much easier than in Cary/Apex if you ask me. I was over in Raleigh yesterday and the traffic is just horrible. I can be at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in 10 minutes. There's a baby Target downtown that I can get to in 5 minutes or I can go to the big Target in 15-20 minutes. I don't do Costco, but it's about 30 minutes away.

That said Chapel Hill is really not about the shopping! It's got it's own vibe and Cary and Apex might fit your vibe better.
While agree the OP wouldn't be missing out, Cary and Apex(more so Cary) lay out really really make traffic a non issue when it comes to getting literally any where in the triangle.

Depending on where they choose, it will take them 5 minutes or less to get to any where they named, along with several other shopping centers

Old 07-29-2021, 02:03 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I do not understand what's wrong with this part. Say a kid lives in a hard core, religious/conservative family but are gay or trans and having a really hard time with it. Is it better that someone actually gets that info and possibly gets this kid some support through counseling, or just let them suffer and possibly commit suicide? I mean it's not unheard of.... the suicide rate among LGBTQ kids is still pretty high. You could say whatever about yourself and your family, but not everyone is your family and there are kids out there who truly suffer.

How else you are supposed to find out if the kid is having food insecurities, being abused physically or sexually, or having suicidal thoughts? I am just genuinely interested what your solution is. Talk to parents who could possibly be the source of all of those things?
I was also wondering if this survey was part of an effort to reach at risk kids.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
While agree the OP wouldn't be missing out, Cary and Apex(more so Cary) lay out really really make traffic a non issue when it comes to getting literally any where in the triangle.

Depending on where they choose, it will take them 5 minutes or less to get to any where they named, along with several other shopping centers
I was just over there yesterday at rush hour and literally breathed a huge sigh of relief once I got past the exit to Durham on my way home. Chapel Hill is super easy to get around.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:14 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:

Ok, this is overboard. I think you're freaking out about one "diversity inventory" handed out by a single teacher in a single high school, which WCPSS followed up with a memo clarifying student privacy.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:17 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I was just over there yesterday at rush hour and literally breathed a huge sigh of relief once I got past the exit to Durham on my way home. Chapel Hill is super easy to get around.

People prefer what they are accustomed to.

I've been in Cary since 1997 and find it very easy to get around for my needs.
Within 3 miles of home, I have 7 grocery stores, multiple dry cleaners, banks, credit unions, coffee, car washes, insurance, bars, restaurants, PIZZA, on and on, and all are easily accessible.

Go another mile up Cary Parkway, and there's Park West with Target and other big boxes, with movie theater.
Across Cary Parkway from there, more movies, restaurants, groceries.

Down Cary Parkway to Kildaire Farm Road, tons more options.

Really, it is all what you are used to doing.
Heck, some people don't like Crossroads Shopping and Centrum shopping. Piece of cake, IF you are used to it.

I'm not dissing Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, or any other local city. It's just that I run around Cary every day and find it easy-peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary