Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 09:54 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
All depends on where the OP is coming from. Traffic throughout the Triangle is very short lived and mostly a breeze IMO.
Agreed.

If I extrapolate a ton…UCSB (from username) could refer to University of California Santa Barbara.

SoCal traffic and Triangle traffic are worlds apart in my experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 11:51 AM

1,462 posts, read 662,066 times
I think the OP has already visited as she mentioned CH was lovely. Probably has some sense of the NC Triangle traffic. My point was that I don't think there is one city/town in the Triangle that is without it's traffic issues. (especially with current road repairs etc etc) My comparison was the traffic as compared to towns within the Triangle. Not traffic from any other state. I find the traffic in the various areas of the Triangle pretty much alike. I mean Cary, Fuquay, HS, Apex.etc. etc. Does one have appreciably less traffic than the other?

Old 07-31-2021, 12:24 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I think the OP has already visited as she mentioned CH was lovely. Probably has some sense of the NC Triangle traffic. My point was that I don't think there is one city/town in the Triangle that is without it's traffic issues. (especially with current road repairs etc etc) My comparison was the traffic as compared to towns within the Triangle. Not traffic from any other state. I find the traffic in the various areas of the Triangle pretty much alike. I mean Cary, Fuquay, HS, Apex.etc. etc. Does one have appreciably less traffic than the other?
Drive 55 from Cary through Holly Springs at rush hour….

Cary has multiple main thoroughfares up to RTP for example, Apex and Holly Springs not so much. Apex gets a little bit of a pass since they can’t widen 55 due to the railroad overpass. Holly Springs is pretty much one way in one way out.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:04 PM

85 posts, read 117,067 times
Cary wins over Apex/Holly springs for me. Holly springs is too far esp if you’ve to commute to RTP area. Not to forget Apple’s new campus is close to West Cary. Drove to holly springs using 55 once and it was a nightmare. The only road that goes there is 55.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:30 AM

176 posts, read 240,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownguy View Post
Cary wins over Apex/Holly springs for me. Holly springs is too far esp if you’ve to commute to RTP area. Not to forget Apple’s new campus is close to West Cary. Drove to holly springs using 55 once and it was a nightmare. The only road that goes there is 55.
Not sure why you'd say this. It's a very easy commute to RTP from Holly Springs depending on where you live in HS. From 12 Oaks I can be in RTP in 15 to 20 minutes. I don't consider that a long commute at all. I rarely use 55. If traveling to Cary I hop onto 540 then 1 exit to US 1 North and I'm there in just a few minutes. Soon 540 will stretch across HS and intersect at Kildaire Farm Rd and people who live on that side of HS will be able to easily take 540 into RTP, too. Very easy to take Kildaire Farm rd into Cary if that's a destination. So there are several ways into HS-not just one.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
Not sure why you'd say this. It's a very easy commute to RTP from Holly Springs depending on where you live in HS. From 12 Oaks I can be in RTP in 15 to 20 minutes. I don't consider that a long commute at all. I rarely use 55. If traveling to Cary I hop onto 540 then 1 exit to US 1 North and I'm there in just a few minutes. Soon 540 will stretch across HS and intersect at Kildaire Farm Rd and people who live on that side of HS will be able to easily take 540 into RTP, too. Very easy to take Kildaire Farm rd into Cary if that's a destination. So there are several ways into HS-not just one.
12 Oaks to Parkside in Cary is 21 minutes with no traffic via 540, and Parkside literally sits on a 540 exit. No way you’re getting to RTP in 15-20, especially during rush hour.

12 Oaks to Cisco is 24 minutes with no traffic. Closer to 30 if you’re going to northern RTP.

For those that have to use 55 bypass to get to 540 in Holly Springs, all bets are off.

Last edited by m378; 08-01-2021 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2021, 07:53 AM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
12 Oaks to Parkside in Cary is 21 minutes with no traffic via 540, and Parkside literally sits on a 540 exit. No way you’re getting to RTP in 15-20, especially during rush hour.

12 Oaks to Cisco is 24 minutes with no traffic
I dunno... Right car, right driver... Who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZ-BHBKyos

Uh....
James Caan ain't it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zG1bIWFCk

Old 08-01-2021, 12:05 PM

805 posts, read 525,441 times
Living near downtown Cary, it is super easy to get to RTP, RDU, and any of the popular shopping spots in Cary. Very little chance of traffic being an issue. High House used to bottle-neck at Cary Pkwy, but the new lanes fixed that.

The intersections of Kildaire and Cary Pkwy (Trader Joes) and Kildaire and Tryon (Whole Foods, Wake Med, Walmart) can both back up, but it’s still nothing compared to getting into and out of Holly Springs.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:26 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjess View Post
-Young families
-Quick access to Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Costco/Target
-Lots of mature trees
-Great schools
Besides MacGregor... Kildaire Farms and Lochmere are two 1970s-1980s planned communities with lots of mature trees, and quick access to all of your retail needs (which are along or just off 64/Tryon). Basically, anything within a mile or two of the WakeMed Cary Hospital.

Downside of West Cary is that there aren't as many mature trees, as the houses are newer & the trees around them haven't had as much time to grow in.

Far North Raleigh (past 540) also checks most boxes, except for Costco (which is inside the Beltline).

Old 11-30-2022, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,780 times
For my two cents on the OP’s post, we found central Apex to be the right spot for us. Traveling to downtown Raleigh we thought was faster on 64 (right above central apex) than 40 (right above cary). Apex is unique because like Cary it has a lot of mature trees but unlike west Cary, it’s elevation is higher and hilly, which I think gives it a unique and pretty cool undulating tree line. It’s also not a bad commute on 55 to RTP or only like 10 min to downtown Cary (basically same as west Cary which along 55 in west Cary is actually pretty sparse with just neighborhood) if you want to go over there. Apex downtown is super nice though too, smaller but probably more historic given Apex was the pit stop high point for trains coming into Raleigh historically. Very charming, lots of events hosted by the city and historical social clubs there, with lots of programs for citizens (check out their website, they’ve got lots of classes and sports teams for all ages). There are even still nice single family homes lining salem street coming into Apex, which is pretty awesome that’s still the case (with folks still decorating for holidays) considering how close it is to the subburbs of Cary (and those in central Apex). Central Apex also has Beavers creek commons, Beavers creek crossings, Haddon Hall commons, the Apex community center, Hunters Street Park, Apex downtown. Target is there, there’s an Apex Costco not far, and Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are in Cary but maybe just 15 minutes away. Apex schools are great schools, not as well reviewed as Cary schools but probably only second to Cary in the county.

The new Wake Tech campus is being built maybe 10 min south in central Apex toward Holly Springs, so probably going to get an influx of growth from that and allow Apex high schools to maybe get dual credit. For young kids, I think the elementary school (Baucom) is about to get rebuilt which will be super nice, and it’s super close to Haddon Hall for example.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary