Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,223 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, myself, and 3.5 and 9 month old boys are relocating to the Apex/Cary area this fall. We've chosen this area because of it's proximity to things we'd need to do (shopping, kid activities, parks/hiking, etc). Neither of us commutes. I'm looking to narrow our search down to specific neighborhoods. What would you say are the most desirable areas for:

-Young families
-Quick access to Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Costco/Target
-Lots of mature trees
-Great schools

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 04:57 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,311,958 times
What’s the budget? Are you sure you’ll be working from home forever? If not what type of work? Are you ok with dealing with overcrowded schools and the potential to not be able to go to the school closest to you, or to potentially be reassigned out to a different school?

Last edited by m378; 07-26-2021 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 05:40 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,374,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjess View Post
Hello! My husband, myself, and 3.5 and 9 month old boys are relocating to the Apex/Cary area this fall. We've chosen this area because of it's proximity to things we'd need to do (shopping, kid activities, parks/hiking, etc). Neither of us commutes. I'm looking to narrow our search down to specific neighborhoods. What would you say are the most desirable areas for:

-Young families
-Lots of mature trees
-Great schools

Thank you!
I'll start by saying you can get what you want in pretty much most of the Triangle area. If you have your heart set on Cary, then that is fine, but you won't suffer from a lack of parks, shopping, etc. in most areas.

You don't specify budget, housing size, age, etc. Buying q home with a lot of mature trees means you are buying a newer home in an area that restricts housing density (not really Cary's forte for newer homes), or buying an older home. Just something to think about.

School districts tend to be county-wide (Chapel Hill/Carrboro is an exception). Cary is (mostly) in Wake county, and the schools in Wake county tend to be pretty good across the board. There are a few areas where this isn't the case, but you probably aren't looking to buy a home in these areas and they can easily be avoided.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:26 PM

389 posts, read 439,341 times
MacGregor, assuming you have a healthy budget.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:59 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,352,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbjess View Post

-Young families
-Lots of mature trees
-Great schools

Thank you!
This describes most of Cary and Apex just stay away from new construction and focus on a resale if you want mature trees.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:19 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Draw a circle around the Trader Joes and Whole Foods at how far you're willing to travel to those stores. Pick a neighborhood inside that circle that meets your budget.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,180,336 times
Have you ever been to this area? Where did you go?

Old 07-27-2021, 05:49 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times
Lots of good reading here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...des-local.html

Consider:
Picardy Pointe
Picardy Village
MacGregor West
Normandie
Buckhurst
Buckhurst West
Whitebridge
Preston Village
Wellsley
Buckingham
Haddon Hall
DT Apex
DT Cary
Abbington
Stratford at Abbington
Scotts Mill

Too many to name.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:11 AM

6,411 posts, read 5,542,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Draw a circle around the Trader Joes and Whole Foods at how far you're willing to travel to those stores. Pick a neighborhood inside that circle that meets your budget.
Easiest and bet advice IMO. If that is priority.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:58 AM

4,322 posts, read 6,014,917 times
If you do that, take into account that a Trader Joe's is going into the old Earth Fare spot at Park West in Morrisville. No word yet on an opening date that I've seen, but remodeling has been underway for a few months, so hopefully it won't be too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary