Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

I have not been to the Whole Foods in Raleigh, but the ones in Chapel Hill and Durham have excellent produce, second only to Weaver Street IMO because Weaver Street carries more hyperlocal super fresh stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 08:46 PM

528 posts, read 934,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I have found the produce at Whole Foods in Raleigh (27607) to be of poor quality. I’ve never seen so much wilted to almost spoiled produce at any other store in the area. It is almost as if the folks stocking the shelves couldn’t care less about what they were putting out. And overpriced to boot. Couldn’t care less if it is labeled Organic or not. Horse manure is organic…. Though most regular shoppers there seem to care less about quality than other virtue signaling.
I notice the same especially in Cary (Waverly Place). The produce is awful. It seems like about the time they were bought by Amazon I started noticing it. Now that I think of it, I hate shopping in Whole Foods. It’s poorly lit, always cramped, and aside from Poppydog who I’m guessing is legit super nice, many of the patrons are slow and rude. Whew. I’m so glad I got that off my chest.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:42 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have not been to the Whole Foods in Raleigh, but the ones in Chapel Hill and Durham have excellent produce, second only to Weaver Street IMO because Weaver Street carries more hyperlocal super fresh stuff.
Thanks for that. We'll continue to support organic growers. I just saved the information for Weaver Street. I love local stores.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:44 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
I notice the same especially in Cary (Waverly Place). The produce is awful. It seems like about the time they were bought by Amazon I started noticing it. Now that I think of it, I hate shopping in Whole Foods. It’s poorly lit, always cramped, and aside from Poppydog who I’m guessing is legit super nice, many of the patrons are slow and rude. Whew. I’m so glad I got that off my chest.

Whole Foods serves people who are Smile-Deficient.
I noticed years ago that customers never smile, but generally look gaunt and tense.
But, WF makes great cookies!

Old 08-16-2021, 06:12 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Whole Foods serves people who are Smile-Deficient.
I noticed years ago that customers never smile, but generally look gaunt and tense.
You got that right…especially that Ridgewood crowd. Don’t even look at anybody wrong in there

Old 08-16-2021, 06:27 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Not exactly a farmers market, but certainly not a grocery store, Perkins Orchard is more like an urban produce market tucked behind a suburban house in South Durham, not far from Southpoint. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Perkins Orchard

Old 08-16-2021, 07:41 AM

142 posts, read 223,504 times
I really like H Mart for produce. I don't get there often enough to give great, completely reliable feedback, but whenever I've gone I thought they had a really good selection of produce and the prices seemed fair. The produce section there is usually pretty busy too when I've gone, and I think that helps with freshness since they're constantly out there restocking it.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:59 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyBrown View Post
I really like H Mart for produce. I don't get there often enough to give great, completely reliable feedback, but whenever I've gone I thought they had a really good selection of produce and the prices seemed fair. The produce section there is usually pretty busy too when I've gone, and I think that helps with freshness since they're constantly out there restocking it.

As with any food vendor or restaurant, I like to see perishables rotating through quickly. Helps ensure freshness.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:02 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Grocery and shops only. No farmer’s markets. We use Produce Box but want to add some additional flexibility.
The great thing about living in Triangle, you are literally surrounded by tons of small, sustainable farms. In my personal opinion, nothing beats signing up for a CSA. They run Spring-Summer and then the Fall CSAs. You pay upfront, and eat seasonally, whatever they produce. The one below is my CSA and I have been supporting them since I moved to this area. I get a lot of veggies and they get dropped off about 0.4-.5 miles away from my neighborhood weekly. I simply pick up the bag with all the goodies and make meals based on what I got for that week. Truly the best way of eating - it is fresh, convenient, reasonably priced, sustainable and most importantly LOCAL (no packaging, no transporting simple things like lettuce from California, Florida, Arizona or Mexico).

https://www.elysianfarm.com/ - there are tons of other farms here too. You should check out as many and select the one that works for you. They do get filled up quickly though. In my experience, CSAs end up being much cheaper than Farmer's Market. That's because farmers do not have to pay for a spot in farmer's market, packaging, transportation and possibly someone's time to be there to sell the produce.

After CSA, I'd say Durham Co-Op and Weaver street market for produce. Both provide local produce (Weaver street is much bigger than Durham co-op, but I like supporting my own community). I go to Durham co-op as I am a member there, but also shop at Carrboro/CH and Hillsborough Weaver St markets if I am in that area. Hillsborough is kinda fun (pre-Covid) to go after a nice hike at Occoneechee Mountain trail. You can grab a bite to eat at the co-op, eat it by the river on a nice day and then grocery shop.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:06 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Weaver Street has consistently superb produce, much of it organic. The produce at Whole Foods Chapel Hill has been uneven for us -- sometimes things will spoil within a day or two, while what we get at Weaver Street lasts longer -- probably because it's fresher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary